The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Pos

What's the general feeling out there on POS (+POS, Parson's Officials' Supplies) as an umpire equipment supplier? I am looking for comments on quality, price, reliability and customer service.

Thanks.

Strikes and outs!
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
What's the general feeling out there on POS (+POS, Parson's Officials' Supplies) as an umpire equipment supplier? I am looking for comments on quality, price, reliability and customer service.

Thanks.

Strikes and outs!
The general feeling will be average to good product quality, average to horrible customer service. I had poor customer service the first couple of times I ever used them, didn't like the merchandise I bought all that much, and therefore switched to other suppliers. For several years now I've been probably 70% Honigs and 30% Gerry Davis.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Their quality is great. Their prices are competitive for the quality of equipment that they supply. However, their customer service just plain old sucks!!!

The only time I'll buy anything from +POS is if there is no other place to get it. For example. I need a new red shirt for a tournament in a week. Honigs is out of stock in my size for the rest of the season, so I ordered one from +POS two weeks ago. I called this morning and the shirt was just sent to the embroidery department today to be numbered. They said it might take three or four days before it's shipped. More than likely that means it will ship in about 7-10 days judging from my past experience with them. Now, had it been Hoings filling the order I would have received the damn thing, numbers and all on my doorstep within two or three business days. And that's only if I wanted it numbered. If I order an in stock item from Honigs, it's usually here the next day.

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 02:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Can't go wrong with Honigs...top shelf service...after all, I think we all know how hard it is to get good ol' customer service. +POS...like said in earlier posts, after many negative experiences, I only use them if I have to. If you choose to use +POS, I hope you have a better experiences than me.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I have used +POS only once & that won't change. Now I mainly use Honigs or sometimes Lester's Upstate Sports.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad to know it's not just me

I have a mish-mash of stuff- POS shinguards, GD plate shoes, Honig's shirts (which I don't like, by the way- topic for another post), Wilson/Joe West Mask (and the Carlucci chest protector - the best equipment purchase I have ever made) .

I had never had trouble with POS before this year. Then, they royally screwed up an order I placed two weeks before high school season (Feb. 10) and one item has still not arrived. Long story short- I won't be using them again, either.

Strikes and outs!
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I used to love +POS and do all my business with them. I have always thought their product - except shirts - are top quality. I don't like the +POS shirts nearly as much as CK or Honigs.
Unfortunately, the last two things I've tried to order from them have been backordered, and when I decide to order something I want it soon!
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Many things changed when Buck died.

Buck was a Schaumburg fireman who revolutionized the umpiring equipment market. He was able to bring some pretty nice products to the customer. His cost was reasonable and they took pride in backing up their gear. He and Sylvia ran that place like it was their home.

He really had a Mom & Pop shop - if you have ever been to his warehouse, you know it is not a SportsAuthority. He donated a ton of gear to everyone from the local LL to Minor League aspirants. He held an annual garage sale every year to unload returns, seconds and close out gear - but he also cut the prices on his first rate stuff. He always gave me boxes of gear to use as handouts at my umpire clinics.

+POS took their first hit when the IHSA switched shirt styles (the button down Elbeco to a pull over). They were left holding the bag witha ton of useless product. Then the wheel of approved shirts started spinning. After that we saw that pants were modified. Each time, they were left with product that was useless to the umpire customer. This and the increased competition took it's toll and we lost Buck a few years ago. His wife is trying to maintain the course, but it is really tragic. They used to be the pinnacle of quality - product and service.

I have bought gear from every one of those mentioned. I have never had a problem with any of them - mainly because I'm a persistent SOB. I don't share the same feelings about +POS as some of you because they have been so good to me for a very long time.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

i love my BB2000 and my two +POS masks. ive thought about trying some of the wilson/WV products, but im sticking with +POS for those two pieces of equipment for now.

i just drive over and pick them up, so i am the only one that slows the process down. ill make a call in the morning, pick it up later in the day, and i have what i want. i did deal with shipping once when i was out in pennsylvania for school and needed a few things and they took about 2 weeks longer than expected.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Thumbs up for +POS

I'm a +POS brat.
As I've posted before, there aren't a lot of suppliers around where I live. Prior to the advent of the internet, your choices were limited to what few items they had at the 'mall', or whatever your association had to give you. At my first 'high-end' clinic, I remember the instructors coming in together decked out in full uniform, covered in +POS logos. I had never seen an umpire bramd before- this was revolutionary. Regardless of the quality, it was what you HAD to have- and my love affair was born!
True, the service may have gone downhill recently, but I have had no real problems with ordering.
I've tried everything they have to offer- including some of the horrible ideas like the plate jersey and the zipper shirt!- and have enjoyed it all.
I've never worn a better plate shoe (+POS high top), or a more protective chest protector (BB2000), or a more comfortable jacket (PLP1- with panels) in my career.
It may not be the cheapest gear, or the highest quality, but I think it's sturdy, well designed, and for my money, it's what I'll continue to wear- I still get the logo put on my pants pockets!

Bainer.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

It became very clear that Sylvia was way over her head and very stressed out trying to keep things going. We can only hope that a manager or two that understands customer service and how to run a business are hired before they fold or someone buys the brand name.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

POS is the worst supply company I have ever dealt with!!! They never have anything and if it is on backorder the season will be over before you get it.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I was able to overlook wrong merchandise being delivered.

I was able to overlook delay after delay.

I was able to overlook no reponse to my emails and phone calls.

I was not able to overlook being lied to.

The only equipment I have purchased from Plus POS in the last three years is a Zero Gravity mask which was sent to me, unsolicited, for a trial. I liked it and since it was in hand, I sent them a check. I will never order anything from them again.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 10:19pm.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Lawson
POS is the worst supply company I have ever dealt with!!! They never have anything and if it is on backorder the season will be over before you get it.
That's a shame...they are the official supplier to Minor League Baseball. One would think that the AMLU members would be more than grateful. Oops, what did I just write?
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I was able to overlook wrong merchandise being delivered.

I was able to overlook delay after delay.

I was able to overlook no reponse to my emails and phone calls.

I was not able to overlook being lied to.

The only equipment I have purchased from Plus POS in the last three years is a Zero Gravity mask which was sent to me, unsolicited, for a trial. I liked it and since it was in hand, I sent them a check. I will never order anything from them again.
Interesting. Amongst the other things I ordered in February was a ZG mask with tan pads. The tan pads were backordered, so I told them to send me the frame.

In May (!) they sent me the frame- a steel single bar. I immediately recognized it and tested it with a magnet. Sure enough- steel. The ZG is $20 more than the steel. This was after three phone calls assuring me that the black ZG frame was in stock. I thought it was a simple error, but then I called and they said the black ZG was out of stock again. That means either (a) the CS rep lied to me when he/she told me my aluminum ZG was in stock or (b) they took my ZG and gave it to somebody else, then sent me a steel frame, hoping I wouldn't notice. In either event, it's "bad wrong" as we say here in the south.

Strikes and outs!