The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I supose that it doesn't matter what I say, you'll never be convinced that those who SCABBED undermined the AMLU in their attempt to improve their positions.
Is it possible that many of these umpires retired because they were no longer able to partake in the natural progression of life (marriage, home purchase, starting a family) because the compensation from MiLB was so abismal?
I concede that they are not all retired for the same reason. Can you concede that the SCABS undermined their collective efforts?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Check out the pic

This is a highly trained umpire. Check out the pic.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...TS07/606130425

No small ball, a staple of the Mud Hens' two previous wins over Ottawa, was necessary for Toledo to earn a 5-0 victory over the Lynx last night.

In fact, the long ball - a two-out, three-run homer by Mike Hessman in the opening inning - combined with a complete-game six-hit shutout by starter Chad Durbin to give the Hens their third win in as many games.

"What a great pitching performance by Durbin," said Ottawa manager Dave Trembley. "He threw all of his pitches for strikes, and we really didn't have a threat against him. He really had complete control of the game."

While the right-handed Durbin allowed baserunners in six of the first seven innings, he allowed just one runner to reach second base until the seventh.

In that frame Luis Terrero drew a walk, then took second on Val Majewski's single. Durbin struck out Brandon Marsters, but Hens third baseman Mike Hessman made a diving stop to keep Jason Bowers' single in the infield, loading the bases with two outs.

"He always makes great plays," Durbin said of Hessman's shutout-saving dive. "He's as consistent a guy [defensively] as I've played with my whole career."

Durbin kept his shutout alive by getting Eddy Garabito to fly out to end the seventh, then set down the Lynx in order in the final two innings. Durbin finished with a season-high 10 strikeouts and walked only two to improve to 5-3 on the year.

"[Catcher Brian] Peterson did a great job behind the plate," Durbin said. "We got ahead of a ton of guys, and the curveball was really good. We worked the ball away most of the night, and we came in when we had to."

Meanwhile the Mud Hens of-fense gave Durbin plenty of wiggle room by scoring four times in the first off Ottawa starter Brian Burres.

Kevin Hooper got things started by beating out an infield single, then moved to second on a single by Tike Redman before coming around to score on Ryan Raburn's single.

Burres seemed poised to end the threat when he got Ryan Ludwick to bounce into a double play. But Jack Hannahan worked Burres for a walk, and Hessman hammered a three-run homer off the scoreboard in left.

"That was a pretty good at-bat with two outs, and it obviously was the key blow," Mud Hens manager Larry Parrish said of Hessman's 12th home run of the season. "Hessman has been swinging the bat a little better."

Durbin's nine-inning completegame shutout was his first ever. He said the four-run cushion helped make the shutout possible.

"Knowing they're behind, and knowing I'm going to throw strikes, they're not as aggressive," Durbin said. "If we're down four, it's a little different because they take different swings."

The Mud Hens should have had another home run in the third inning when Raburn curved a line drive around the left-field foul pole with a runner on, but second-base umpire Chris Hubler overruled third-base umpire Joe Judkowitz and ruled the ball was foul.

Parrish was thrown out of the game for arguing the call.

Toledo added a run in the sixth off Burres. Hannahan walked, then was running when Hessman beat out a high hopper down the third-base line and raced to third. David Espinosa then singled Hannahan home.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Just A Dose Of The Real World Here Ctblu40......

Apply For A Job......any Job.....have Your Interview......(pro School)

Accept The Job With Its Hours, Benefits, And Yes Pay.......

Then When It Is Time To Go To Work.....stand At The Front Door With A Little White Sign And Tell Your Employer I Will Not Work Unless You Pay Me More Money.........

Hello Earth To Ctblu40........your Fired!!!!!!

The Amlu Undermined It's Self With Their Poorly Concieved Notion That They Are Bigger Than The Game......

And If Guys Working The Games Hurt The Amlu And Their Attempt To Hold Baseball Hostage......so Be It.......

If You Don't Like The Pay.......find Another Job.....the Game Will Be Just Fine Without You.....

I Guess That Was Made All To Clear Now Wasn't It???????
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

As For The Mud Hens Game......an Ejection Already.......say It Isnt So.......

Mr Hubler How Could This Happen.......i Mean The Integrity Of The Game Is At Stake Here......
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Okay SCUMP, we'll use your example.
You've applied and have been hired. You are in your early 20's with no real bills to speak of. Time passes and you have worked for the company for 10 years. You've never received a raise, yet your employer is making more money now than ever before. You see everyone else in the company getting better compensation than they initially received (players, front office, evaluators, owners). You ask for a raise and the boss say's, "Sorry, you're not an integral part of the team that makes this business a success. Forget it. By the way, you need to start contributing more out of your own pocket for your insurance benifits."

So SCUMP, what do you do? You love your job, but you are getting hosed? You just say, "Okay... forget I asked?" If so, your a sap, and I have a job for you.

BTW- You can't fire me for striking because I was smart enough to join a union and even the threat of firing me for striking is an unfair labor practice!

Last edited by ctblu40; Tue Jun 13, 2006 at 10:52am.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

No If You Are Not Happy With The Job, Hours Pay Etc And Your Boss Says No Raise....well Then You Must Decide Should I Stay Or Go??????

If You Are So Important The Boss Won't Let You Leave, But If You Are Not Quiet As Important As You Think, Well Then Grin And Bare It Or Hit The Road......

I Think Deep Down That Is What Hurts The Most For The Amlu.....

You Are Not As Important As Your Ego's Have Lead You To Believe!!!!

I Have An Idea.....start Your Own League.....set Your Own Salaries

Hire Your Own People......build The Stadiums.....open The Gates

Cause If You Build It.....they Will Come......but If You Strike......

Minor League Baseball Will Not Come To You!!!!!
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

ct,

Are you saying that the AMLU didn't get a fair contract? Then why did the accept it?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

So that brings us back to the question I previously asked, Can you concede that the SCABS undermined the AMLU's effort to improve their professional positions? I've answered you... why can't you answer that?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Yes You Might Be A Member Of A Union And They Didnt Fire You But They Also Didnt Meet Your Demands......

The Amlu Meet Theirs........

How Many Of The Union Guys Will Get Released After This Season????

I Can See The Letters Now......we Are Sorry To Inform You That Your Services For The Up Coming Season Will No Longer Be Needed....

But Hey There Are Lots Of Jobs Out There And Some Even Give You The Opportunity To Join A Union.....maybe When You Strike With Their Union You Will Have More Success.

Keep Your Little White Signs Handy!!!!!!
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Mr B.
I'm not saying that they got neither a fair nor unfair contract. I'm saying that SCABs crossing their picket lines undermined their ability to pressure PBUC and MiLB to consider consessions.
65% of the membership ratified the contract, so the entire membership ended the strike. Fine. I just wonder how much they may have received had the amature ranks across the nation supported them?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

No The People That Worked Didn't Undermine Anything.....none Of The Men That Worked Were At The Table Negotiating.....

Once Again The Fearless Leaders Of The Amlu And The Arrogance That Surrounds Them Thought That They Were Bigger Than The Game And That They Would Shut Down Minor League Baseball.....well It Didnt Happen......

So Go Back To Work With A Smile Or Go Home......minor League Baseball Didn't Miss A Beat Without You.....now Did They?????
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Okay... you don't think they undermined anything. I suppose that you wouldn't mind if someone came to your place of employment and offered to do your job for less money than you get. Then I'm sure you wouldn't be upset if your boss said, "If you don't work for x dollars less, you'll be replaced." You'ld just walk away or accept the lesser money with a smile?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

And Why???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Mr B.
I'm not saying that they got neither a fair nor unfair contract. I'm saying that SCABs crossing their picket lines undermined their ability to pressure PBUC and MiLB to consider consessions.
65% of the membership ratified the contract, so the entire membership ended the strike. Fine. I just wonder how much they may have received had the amature ranks across the nation supported them?
I am curious as to why they should expect our support?? We do not ask for or expect their support when negotiating game fees etc with schools. When they work assignments through these schools we do not show up and act like idiots, make harassing phone calls or post pics of them. We do not have a website they has pay pal on it saying "Please support us". The AMLU believed that they were too important for the game to do without. The AMLU believed the replacements (scabs) whatever you want to call them, could not do the job. In both cases the AMLU was wrong. The AMLU can blame amateur umpires, fans whoever the hell they want to blame but it boils down to this.

They believed their leadership.
They overvalued their importance.
They want guarantees that have never been there.
They threatened and isolated themselves from the "amatuers" with their actions and words.

They were proven wrong and now it is everyone's fault but theirs. If you don't like the wages or conditions, fine. But take responsibility for what you have done, don't drag everyone into it and move on.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Old

You have to waive the flies of off this dead, bloated equine to beat it.

Yet here we are.

For those who don't know, I am an unapologetic AMLU supporter. And so, I have this question: if the decision to cross the picket line and work MiLB games was purely altruistic- "For Love of the Game" as it were- why are you still digging? If you were just providing a service to keep baseball going, with no thought of self-promotion, why are you on this board sarcastically calling the AMLU guys "perfect", pointing out their mistakes and going on about how you are just as good if not better than they are?

True nobility does not blow its own horn or beat down its rivals unnecessarily.

In a classic line from one of the 200 best baseball movies ever made- Major League, "Who gives a sh!t? It's gone."
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

No Umpire Went To Anyones Place Of Employment......the Amlu Umpires Refused To Go To Their Own Place Of Employment To Work....just Walk Around With Little White Signs......

Sounds Like You Are Mad Because The Rest Of The Umpire World Didnt See Eye To Eye With The Amlu.....

If You Owned A Bar And The Bartender Refused To Pour Your Booze Unless You Pay Him More Money....what Would You Do???? Replace Him Or Just Key Him The Keys To "your" Place Of Buisness.....

It Is The Ego Thing That You And The Amlu Can't Seem To Get Past....

How Dare The Milb Not Give Us What We Demand.....we Are Professionally Trained......yadee Yadee Ya
Closed Thread