The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Bob Davidson +POS mask

Two of my buddies and I bought the Bob Davidson model super-light +POS mask this year. We've all already had a big dent put in the mask by foul balls. I was able to bang out my dent pretty well, then this past weekend I took another shot that completely broke a bar of the mask near the chin. The bar is severed. I had to run to my car during the game and grab a different mask.

I was told by a friend that since it is a "pro" mask, it is non-refundable, even if the mask was defective. I've worn the thing maybe 10 times and now it is useless.

Has anyone else had problems with this mask? If so, I surely wouldn't reccommend it to anyone else...
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
Two of my buddies and I bought the Bob Davidson model super-light +POS mask this year. We've all already had a big dent put in the mask by foul balls. I was able to bang out my dent pretty well, then this past weekend I took another shot that completely broke a bar of the mask near the chin. The bar is severed. I had to run to my car during the game and grab a different mask.

I was told by a friend that since it is a "pro" mask, it is non-refundable, even if the mask was defective. I've worn the thing maybe 10 times and now it is useless.

Has anyone else had problems with this mask? If so, I surely wouldn't reccommend it to anyone else...
If the bar on a mask bends and you are able to "fix" it, that is the right time to throw it away. Simply put, once the material was compromised you made it weaker by bending the material back.

Let this be a warning, if you mask is damaged, don't try to fix it - throw it in the nearest trash can. If you don't have another or your partner can't lend you his, guess what? The game is over for today. Under no circumstances should you put on a defective mask - unless you have a death wish!
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
If the bar on a mask bends and you are able to "fix" it, that is the right time to throw it away. Simply put, once the material was compromised you made it weaker by bending the material back.

Let this be a warning, if you mask is damaged, don't try to fix it - throw it in the nearest trash can. If you don't have another or your partner can't lend you his, guess what? The game is over for today. Under no circumstances should you put on a defective mask - unless you have a death wish!
I agree, I would think most of us carry a spare mask. I have a day and night mask, the difference, shade on my day mask.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

My partner a few nights ago had the same thing happen to him with the same mask. Foul ball bent the lower bar real good. He called POS and they told him that there was nothing they could do.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
Personally, I wouldn't recommend anything from +POS, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingswinger
He called POS and they told him that there was nothing they could do.
Gee, now there's a surprise.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Something to think about...

My All-Star Helmet has taken hits, that are about as nasty as they get, with no dents, or damage, for many years. My son also used an All-Star Mask as a catcher for many years with no damage.

Maybe an All-Star Helmet or Mask is in line. They seem to make pretty good cages. Although All-Star Masks are not considered "Pro", they're Helmets are considered top of the line. You won't see a "Pro" wearing any other brand of Helmet.

Whatever you buy, buy it from Honig's. They don't say, there's nothing they can do when a customer has a problem. Honig's is business done right.

Nick
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Whatever you buy, buy it from Honig's. They don't say, there's nothing they can do when a customer has a problem. Honig's is business done right.
I don't know what you would expect +POS to do. All masks dent, and as many on the internet have said, the Zero Gravity mask dents easier than mosts masks. It is one thing if an item is defective, but when it breaks due to normal use no company would replace it.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

i can never explain this correctly, so ill just say i have 2 vertical bars on my AUL that are dented. it happens to every mask, and im not worried about it all that much. its actually not all that bad of a sign when your mask is dented, because it means the mask took the force and not your head/neck. now when masks take repeated hard shots that make dents "more dented", then its something to think harder about.

also, what is the Bob Davidson mask? i own both types of +POS masks and neither say anything about Davidson, nor does the website.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin

also, what is the Bob Davidson mask? i own both types of +POS masks and neither say anything about Davidson, nor does the website.
The Bob Davidson mask is designed to allow the wearer to see balks from behind home plate that normally would require positioning on the bases to see.

With the "Balkin'Bob" Plus Pos mask, your strike zone may go to he!!, but your balk calls will triple...and like Plus Pos' policy, nobody can do anything about either.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
Bob Davidson's signature must be on the mask pads...either that or what Garth said.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
The Bob Davidson mask is designed to allow the wearer to see balks from behind home plate that normally would require positioning on the bases to see.

With the "Balkin'Bob" Plus Pos mask, your strike zone may go to he!!, but your balk calls will triple...and like Plus Pos' policy, nobody can do anything about either.
Damn! That got some chuckles out of me.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
Bob Davidson's signature must be on the mask pads...either that or what Garth said.
The top mask pad is signed by Davidson. No wonder POS has such problems.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 01:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
The top mask pad is signed by Davidson. No wonder POS has such problems.
Yeah, I hear that next year, they're coming out with a Doug Eddings model that guarantees that you can see whether or not the catcher cleanly catches strike three!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
I don't know what you would expect +POS to do. All masks dent, and as many on the internet have said, the Zero Gravity mask dents easier than mosts masks. It is one thing if an item is defective, but when it breaks due to normal use no company would replace it.
I agree.
If they did, you would run into the situation we have here with a local sporting goods store- they have guaranteed a number of brands of hockey sticks and baseball bats that they carry against breakage for 30 days!
So guess what? The worst kept secret in town is that on day 29, you find a way to snap or crack your stick or bat, and you get a new one. Essentially, it's an everlasting bat! No idea how they're staying in business.

Bainer.