The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PanamaCityBrian
Camel Backs???

I understand that there is another thread about hydration but I more specifically was curious if anyone employs the CamelBack Hydration Systems http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm, Personally I have found these great for other activities but never thought of the uses for something such as umpiring. I of course the only application for this would be for the PU but I do think it would be and suitable water source for the game. Although I could for some people see where it may be an incumberence. The back I have considered getting holds approx. 2.1 Liters, I am guessing about 4.5 lbs of extra weight. I personally do not believe it to be too much of an issue but I am just looking for some opinion as to the use or reasons not to use such an item.

I of course would be wearing this under my shirt in concert with my CP.

Thank You

Also I live in Florida so hydration seems as though it is going to be a significant issue as it has been every year!
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Brian,

I think Camelbaks are great for skiing, hiking, biking, canoeing, etc.

I don't think it would "look good" on an umpire.

Hydrate in between , like everybody else does.

JMO.

JM

P.S. I won't let my pitcher wear one either.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaCityBrian
I understand that there is another thread about hydration but I more specifically was curious if anyone employs the CamelBack Hydration Systems http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm, Personally I have found these great for other activities but never thought of the uses for something such as umpiring. I of course the only application for this would be for the PU but I do think it would be and suitable water source for the game. Although I could for some people see where it may be an incumberence. The back I have considered getting holds approx. 2.1 Liters, I am guessing about 4.5 lbs of extra weight. I personally do not believe it to be too much of an issue but I am just looking for some opinion as to the use or reasons not to use such an item.

I of course would be wearing this under my shirt in concert with my CP.

Thank You

Also I live in Florida so hydration seems as though it is going to be a significant issue as it has been every year!
In between innings, if you get to the point that you must have fluid, call time, get a drink. There's no shame for an umpire to use common sense and folks understand that we have been out there working just as hard as the catcher. You may even want to mention this in your pre-game that if you call time, it's because of the heat.

It was in the low 90's here yesterday, working two games and some worked three games in the regionals, it was very humid, no air movement at all here in KY.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Hydration systems are good for situations where you're on the move and cannot set your water down (without leaving it behind). Baseball fields are, for the most part, stationary. I wouldn't use one.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

One hot day I wore my old Army pistol belt with two canteens, but it made it difficult to get to my ball bag and the players laughed at me.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 08:39am
Veteran College Umpire

OK, here's my trick to cool off while working the bases - this doesn't work on the dish.
Between innings have the trainer bring you a half cup of ice. Remover your hat and dump the ice into it. Put the hat with the ice in it back on your head.
Since most of your body heat exits through your head, the ice will cool the blood flow there and will subsequently cool you off. No, the water doesn't run into your eyes - it runs down the back of your neck (which also feels good). Yes, your hat will get wet. After the game set it out and it will dry. The ice will last about two innings. Repeat as needed.

JJ
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Go ahead and use/buy the camelback. Instead of wearing it, fill it with ice and water and hang it on the back of the backstop (probably best behind either on-deck circle). Then, between innings reach through the fence, pull the straw thingey through and enjoy.

Out here in AZ I fill a small cooler with ice and a small wet towel. If I remember in advance I'll put the wet towel in the freezer and then it's REALLY cold. Sure the ice sticks to the towel but it really fells good out here on 100+ days.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

PU at the West Michigan Whitecaps (An A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers) didn't take a drink at all yesterday. 8 1/2 innings with over 90 degrees full sun temperature. Don't know how he did it, but I was watching pretty close, and he never took a drink the whole game. Glad it wasn't me!
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I bring my Camelback to the park all the time. I take it over to the convenience store and fill it full of ice and either gatorade or water. It works great and lasts through double headers. However, I wouldn't be caught dead with it on my back. I usually find somehwere out of the way to hang it.

Eric
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he represents CamelBacks.

If you bring that contraption on the field for anything abouve tee ball, you've lost all credbility. Ask for a cup of water between innings, for goodness sake.
Carrying your own water supply outside of an eco challenge borders on pathetic.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PanamaCityBrian
First of all no, I do not represent CamelBack at all but, WWTB to your post of credibility.... I am sorry I am not doing this for credility in a local rec league. I do a solid job calling the games and that in my association keeps your credibilty high, not how you hydrate yourself. I was simply asking because I read that people complain about hanging water on fences and where I call games I am unable to just ask a trainer or team for a cup of water. I also will not place a bottle on the field of play as too violate rules. So I was simply asking if anyone has employed the system in the context in which I was asking. I really appreciate the comments from all those with good input, but could have done without the fecicious remarks made by certain people.

I really enjoy this forum for the educational value it offer as well as the open forum for educated opinion but it sure does have its days where you just want to pull your hair out. lol.

Thanx Guys

Last edited by PanamaCityBrian; Tue May 30, 2006 at 10:17pm.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

id hang huge and obnoxious water bottles on the fence before wearing a water backpack on the field.

i just dont see how a camelback could be considered on a baseball field.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Hydration

The bottom line: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

It was once the tradition that umpires would not eat, drink or leave the field at all during a game, unless leaving the field for injury or illness. I still recommend against eating or leaving the field, but by all means hydrate. Umpires not drinking anything on the field is a tradition that should and has gone the way of bleeding people with leeches.

I wouldn't carry a Camelbak out on the field. I used one in Iraq- great tool there, but not something I think I want to be seen umpiring in. Your league should be providing you with water- either in cups or bottles for the game. If they aren't, talk to your assignor/association president about getting this done. If that still doesn't work, carry your own supply, but leave it at the fence- in a thermos, small (!) cooler or just in a bottle.

Strikes and outs!
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 01:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
Your league should be providing you with water- either in cups or bottles for the game. If they aren't, talk to your assignor/association president about getting this done. If that still doesn't work, carry your own supply, but leave it at the fence- in a thermos, small (!) cooler or just in a bottle.
My association works 21 different leagues, and many have no idea that umpires get thirsty. I think they would probably tell our assignor/president to take a hike. That leaves us with option C, bring our own. If I know a league that likes to charge for their drinks, and not provide hydration for the umpires, I bring my own. Some leagues, though, are great, and 4 or 5 people will ask you every half inning if you need something to drink. We could all use leagues like those!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I believe the correct word is facetious. Facetious is the word. Judges? Yes, facetious is the word we were looking for.
I think he was trying to invent a new word: feces-cious.

(Note: the above is only a word-play commentary; not a commentary on the original post.)