The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Dropped third strike question

this question applies to little league, and i know that rules vary, but i would just like a "generalized" answer to my question. the batter takes a called third strike, catcher drops the ball. batter hesitates for a second, someone yells "run!" and off he goes, reaching first base. the batter made no step back towards the dugout, in fact he didn't even leave the batter's box. the umpire calls him OUT saying he "hesitated" before running to first. what i have found so far indicates that the batter actually has until the next pitch in the game to run to first unless the umpire has called him OUT. does anyone know the rule? thanks in advance.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

New Official Baseball Rules, rule 6.09(b):
The batter becomes a runner when --
(b) The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing (1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is occupied with two out;
Rule 6.09(b) Comment: A batter who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught, and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate.

I believe the dirt circle surrounding home plate is 13 feet in radius around the tip of home plate. (It's hard to read the MLB diagram 1 in rule 3.01.)
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Little League Rules, unless specifically stated in their book, follow what OBR says. Therefore, if the L.L book does not have the wording of stepping into the dugout or reaching his defensive position, then the new OBR Rule applies.

Regardless, the ump in question erred.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmitzi
this question applies to little league, and i know that rules vary, but i would just like a "generalized" answer to my question. the batter takes a called third strike, catcher drops the ball. batter hesitates for a second, someone yells "run!" and off he goes, reaching first base. the batter made no step back towards the dugout, in fact he didn't even leave the batter's box. the umpire calls him OUT saying he "hesitated" before running to first. what i have found so far indicates that the batter actually has until the next pitch in the game to run to first unless the umpire has called him OUT. does anyone know the rule? thanks in advance.

Just to clarify. If this was LL majors or below the batter is out immediately on the third strike. He doesn't have the same option as a runner on the big diamond.

Tim.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Good point. Just what the heck was I thinking. LL doesn't have the dropped third strike. Oh well, I'm not an LL ump, so...
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 01:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Good point. Just what the heck was I thinking. LL doesn't have the dropped third strike. Oh well, I'm not an LL ump, so...
Majors and below do not have an uncaught 3rd strike rule, but Junior, Senior, and Big League divisions do, and it is just like the "old" OBR rule, which is that the batter is not out until he is tagged, or 1st base is tagged, or he steps into his dugout or bench area. The new rule about the dirt circle does not apply to Little League Baseball, which uses its own set of modified OBR rules.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Majors and below do not have an uncaught 3rd strike rule, but Junior, Senior, and Big League divisions do, and it is just like the "old" OBR rule, which is that the batter is not out until he is tagged, or 1st base is tagged, or he steps into his dugout or bench area. The new rule about the dirt circle does not apply to Little League Baseball, which uses its own set of modified OBR rules.
As far as I know there haven't been any youth leagues using modified OBR to adopt the new changes yet. Has anyone else heard of one?

Tim.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 02:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
As far as I know there haven't been any youth leagues using modified OBR to adopt the new changes yet. Has anyone else heard of one?

Tim.
I haven't heard of any, but if I were a bettin' man, I'd bet PONY would be the first to do it, because they usually advertise that they play by Sporting News Edition Rules (with modifications).
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

i should have been more clear on the league we're in. it's ages 11-12, and we do have a dropped third strike rule. the only question was whether pausing for a second after the strike was called disqualifies the batter from attempting to advance. i watch enough MLB that it seems that hesitating is often the case...it takes the batter a second to realize the catcher has dropped the ball, which was exactly the case here. thanks for all the responses...you guys are great.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i should have been more clear on the league we're in. it's ages 11-12, and we do have a dropped third strike rule. the only question was whether pausing for a second after the strike was called disqualifies the batter from attempting to advance. i watch enough MLB that it seems that hesitating is often the case...it takes the batter a second to realize the catcher has dropped the ball, which was exactly the case here. thanks for all the responses...you guys are great.
If you are in Little League ages 11-12 is Majors division and there is no dropped third strike for that division. Am I missing something??
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

i don't know what to say except that it is permissable to in our league to attempt to advance to first on a dropped third strike. last year (10 year old league) it was not. it's a rec league run by the city of norman, OK.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 10:33am

Quote:
i don't know what to say except that it is permissable to in our league to attempt to advance to first on a dropped third strike. last year (10 year old league) it was not. it's a rec league run by the city of norman, OK.
Then what you said in the original post is untrue. It isn't Little League, it's youth baseball. Little League is an organization with its own rules, not a generic term for kiddie ball.

In this case then, the umpire blew the call, as hesitating before running is a perfectly normal occurrence.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

steve...thanks for the clarification. the city actually calls it "little league", so i didn't even know there was a difference. i'm very happy to have found this site and all the knowledgable contributors. thanks again.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
the city actually calls it "little league", so i didn't even know there was a difference.
They may not be calling it "little league" for long if Williamsport finds out about it...
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJN
If you are in Little League ages 11-12 is Majors division and there is no dropped third strike for that division. Am I missing something??
It is common for non-chartered youth leagues to still refer to themselves as "Little League" when what they really mean is "generic unchartered youth league." I suspect that is what you're missing.