The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

I need a Federation ruling to clear up a hot discussion at our last umpire meeting.

Situation: Fast Pitch: Batter with 2 strikes on her swings and misses third strike and sheepishly trots off back to her dugout. The catcher short-hops the catch and since the batter is too far away for a tag, elects to toss it to the first baseman (unoccupied 1st base). Alas she overthrows firstbase and the ball is rolling down the outfield foul line. The batter, just steps away from entering the third base dugout, now drops her bat and bolts for first base. Her route is a straight line for first, cutting across the diamond and thru the pitcher's circle. She makes it to 1st before the ball can get back to the infield.

Is she safe? Has she committed any violations? Cites?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2001, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

KC,
See Rule 8, Section 4. Article 2r. This states that a runner, after reaching 1B, is out when she has OBVIOUSLY abandoned any effort to reach the next base. I do not see anything in Rule 7 - Batting - and Rule 8 begins by stating that the batter becomes a runner when... So we're talking about a runner here, we just usually refer to this particular person as the batter-runner. Anyway, this runner did not yet reach 1B, so the OBVIOUS abandonment is not in force here. I would apply the ASA standard that this runner must enter dead ball territory to be called out on a dropped 3rd strike.
We've got another regular poster here who is very good with Fed rules, Maybe Roger will have a correction or clarification on this play.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

I think the key element in 8-4-2-r is the wording....."after reaching first base".

There is a casebook play 8-8-1 Situation A.

F2 drops the third strike with two outs. B3 starts toward the dugout but F2 does not throw to first. B3 then makes a quick dash to first. RULING: If f2 does not throw to first, there is a chance B# could reach base safely. However, B# should be declard out if (1) she entered dead ball territory; (2) she did not reach the base before the time of the next pitch; or (3) the half-inning ended because all infielders left the diamond. 8-4-1

I see no reason why the BR cannot run in a direct line to first unless she interferes with a fielder making a play (does not seem to be the case here).

Roger very well may have more experience in this situation however.

Joel
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Joel + Steve

Thanks for the reply. You cite a casebook example "8-8-1 situation A". I can't find this in NFHS Softball casebook of 2001 or 2000. Please clarify. I need the authority.

Kent Champagne
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Talking Oops.....typo

Sorry about that Kent.

That should have been 8-1-1 Situation A. Page 45 in the 2001 casebook.

That's what I get for not wearing my glasses in the morning.

Joel
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Guys,
Been on a 24 hour shift. Just back in.

For a batter-runner being out for not attempting to reach 1st base see 8-4-1j in which the batter-runner may attempt to reach first until she "gives up by entering the bench or dugout area." As for the baseling question see the note after 8-4-2 "...the runner establishes her basepath as directly between the runner's position and the base toward which the runner is moving."

I think there may be another place the abandoment before first is mentioned, but I can't think of it now. The general rule in Fed baseball and softball is before 1st, the runner may attempt to gain the base anytime untill he/she enters dead ball area at bench or dugout. After reaching first abandoment occures when the runner leaves the basepath obviously abandoning the attempt to reach the next base.

Roger Greene,
Member UT