The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

stance adjustment

i'm in the middle of my 3rd year of umping. i do mostly HS varsity and I am looking to move towards college ball. i was working the plate at local summer college wood bat league the other night and my partner shows up and informs me that he is here to "take a look at me" for the assignor. both the assignor and my partner are D1 umps with a good bit of experience. they also have a lot of influence as to who makes it into our local college associations. I had the plate and after the 1st inning he tells me that i look really good, but he suggests a significant change in my stance. i work a basic box, heal to toe. hands on knees until the pitcher is about to deliver and then i drop a little lower and place my hands behind my knees and lock for the pitch. he suggested that i spread my stance a little wider and just stay with my arms locked and hands on knees. i was a bit hesitant to try it in a game of this level, but i didn't want to seem difficult so i tried it for the rest of the game and had decent results. i've worked the new stance the past 2 nights with better and better results and now i feel pretty comfortable.
he also suggested that i change my swing strike call. i turn and point for called strikes and simply raise a fist for swinging strikes. he suggested that i also point for swinging strikes and reserve the fist for swinging 3rd strikes.
any thoughts or recomendations for anyone? what do you guys do?
thanks.