The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Hydrate properly. Just like your car, put the coolant in BEFORE you get on the road. If you wait until you are on the side of the road with your hood up and a geyser coming out of the radiator, you have waited too long.

Drink, drink, drink, drink before your first game. Drink until your urine is clear. And then continue to drink between games. Then you will be able to call as many games on a hot day as you need.

I am from GA where there is as much heat as anywhere. The water you drink does not have to be cold, although it does taste better cold. But I have guzzled many bottles of warm water for hydration and it was very effective.

The difference between being properly hydrated and not is like this:
Yes: Man, it is hot today, but it is not really bothering me
No: Man, this heat is really taking it out on me.

Hydrate properly and you won't need any sophisticated cooling systems.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

I bought a thermal sleeve with a clip at Wal Mart. I freeze half a Gatorade and put water in the other half right before the game. I clip it on the fence and drink between innings.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
My association works 21 different leagues, and many have no idea that umpires get thirsty. I think they would probably tell our assignor/president to take a hike. That leaves us with option C, bring our own. If I know a league that likes to charge for their drinks, and not provide hydration for the umpires, I bring my own. Some leagues, though, are great, and 4 or 5 people will ask you every half inning if you need something to drink. We could all use leagues like those!
I'll agree wholeheartedly with this post. My association is in the same boat. Most of the leagues are good about giving water or gatorade but some will not supply it. I like bringing my own anyway.

I don't see why anyone would care if you brought your beverage in a camelback or some type of jug as long as you've placed it out of the way. I of course agree that you should not wear a camelback while umpiring. I use my camelback for almost anything that requires hydration because it is so convenient.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin

i just dont see how a camelback could be considered on a baseball field.
How 'bout one of those 'beer helmets'?

Bottle of water on either side...straw down the front...what do you guys think?
We could even get them with association logos on them!

Surely that'd be as acceptable as a water-filled backpack!

Drink when the players drink- between innings.

Bainer.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

im sure you could put together something similar to the beer helmet, but based on a HSM...
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Bainer, when I read the first post in this thread, I immediately thought of that beer helmet. Thank you for posting it. I think it should now be the headgear of choice when the temperature exceeds 85 degrees.

-----------------

I still don't understand how ANYone can ever worry about appearances, credibility--whatever--when criticizing others for bringing water onto the field. When the weather requires it, I bring an igloo one-gallon jug cooler with me. It's filled usually with ice water. I place it somewhere near the backstop (depending on which field I'm working, since I'm familiar with the layouts of all the venues at which I work), somewhere discreet. I go to it whenever I need to.

For some games, I already know which teams are playing and whether they'll have water coolers. Today, for example, the home team had 3 huge Gatorade jugs filled with cold water. I left my cooler in the trunk and used it between games. I used the home team's water when needed, and they understand quite well.

You want to tell if you're getting enough liquids, aside from the usual dehydration symptoms? If your urine is nice and yellow or dark, you're not getting enough fluids. The clearer it is, the better that is for you.