The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

gerry davis cool vest

hey guys, anybody using the gerry davis cool vest. it is gonna be very hot this summer in florida. thought i might try one.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

No........
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 07:41pm

Not for $95 + shipping. I will continue to sweat it out.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

For day games in the summer, I carry a small cooler with a slushy mix of ice and water, a tablespoon of spirits of ammonia, and a blue rag. I put it in the dugout and when I feel like I need it I whipe my face, neck and arms down with the cold wet rag, and then put the rag around my neck.

I worked a 10 innning tournament game last July that started at 11 am and was 95 degrees by the time it was over and without that cooler I think I would have passed out.

I also drink plenty of water.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I also drink plenty of water.

Good point. Now, the big question open for discussion. Is it better to hydrate only before a game on a hot Summer day, or continue to hydrate all during the game?

Tim.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 09:46pm

I like to do both. I drink a few slugs of Gatorade before I leave the car for the field. During the game, on a very hot day (which is just about every day here), I will usually get a drink in the 3rd inning, the 5th inning, and the top of the 7th. If it is only moderately warm, I usually just do the pre-game drink, and leave my Gatorade in the car for after the game.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Good point. Now, the big question open for discussion. Is it better to hydrate only before a game on a hot Summer day, or continue to hydrate all during the game?

Tim.
i myself do not bring any water to the game, as in to bring on the field. i drink a hell of a lot of water hours before the game, and while im getting dressed. if i feel like i need water that badly, ill ask a kid off the bench to pour me a cup of water water between innings.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 10:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
i myself do not bring any water to the game, as in to bring on the field. i drink a hell of a lot of water hours before the game, and while im getting dressed. if i feel like i need water that badly, ill ask a kid off the bench to pour me a cup of water water between innings.
That's the difference between being 20 and being 50!

Proudly served
U.S. Army 1974 to 1977
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

20 is young. im almost 22, im getting "old" too haha.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I prefer to hydrate before, during, and after the game. On a really hot summer game I might drink a quart or more of water during the game.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 10:57pm

Another thing, I don't like visiting the dugouts asking for water unless it can't be helped. Often, believe it or not, many teams have none available on the bench. Or, as is many times the case, each player has their own individual Gatorade bottle, with no spares. I would rather have my own bottle, backwash and spit free, than take a chance on what comes out of a dugout.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

yeah i dont consider it unless its a college or HS team who has the big cooler full of water. if i dont see one of those, then i steer clear. i try to not even do it if they have one, but if i need it ill ask when i see those.

im not cutting into some kids 20 oz gatorade mom brought him before the game
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

School ball is played in cool weather here. During summer ball, when it is hot, league officials and tournament directors will have water brought to us.

I don't carry anything on to the field that isn't umpiring gear. I don't need to worry about where to put a jug or bottle or bota bag. I think one of the silliest things I see at LL fields is umpire's water bottles hanging off the backstop.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 03:37am
Official Forum Member

Hydration: If you wait until you start to feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Don't drink so much you have to "hold it" until the game is over, but drink a little before the game, sip between innings and more afterwards on hot days.

Sure, seeing Gatorade and water bottles up against the fences might be "silly", but it beats passing out and having to stop the game while the umpire is carted off due to dehydration during game #4 of the day because he didn't drink enough fluids.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 11:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
School ball is played in cool weather here. During summer ball, when it is hot, league officials and tournament directors will have water brought to us.

I don't carry anything on to the field that isn't umpiring gear. I don't need to worry about where to put a jug or bottle or bota bag. I think one of the silliest things I see at LL fields is umpire's water bottles hanging off the backstop.
Wow, it must be nice to have league officials and tournament directors as water boys where you live. At most fields out here, you are on your own. Unless you keep a journal of who provides refreshments out here, you had better just assume they don't. If you plan on drinking anything, you need to BYOB.