The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

OBR's 2006 Rule Changes (23 of 'em!)

I'm a bit surprised there doesn't seem to be much commentary on what is rather unprecedented. Lord knows Official Baseball Rules (Pro Rules or whatever else you want to call it) undergo very few changes. I think the last major one was in 1988/1989 when the coming to a stop and balk thing was rewritten (Bob Davidson must've been having orgasms over that), resulting in no stop balk calls skyrocketing that year. It was quickly reversed the following year, as we all remember.

Every year we've grown accustomed to OBR having that one sentence statement on its inside front page: "The playing rules committee has adopted no changes to the Official Baseball Rules for the NNNN season." This year, however, that sentence is quite different, as there are listed a rather stunning 23 changes! Some are editorial rewrites of casebook comments and the like, but others are some significant changes and rule deletions. For example: the 20-second rule regarding the pitcher has been changed to 12. A batter is out on a dropped third strike not when he enters the dugout or reaches his defensive position, but when, believing the ball was caught, he leaves the circular area surrounding home plate. There are other changes, including what is basically the NCAA's batter's box rule of keeping a foot in it and not incessantly leaving it (this one refers only to National Association games only and not the major leagues).

Of course, the changes must be approved by the Players Association (that, BTW, is a topic for another discussion, IMHO).

Has anyone else been paying attention to the changes in OBR? It will be interesting to see if these become permanent.

FYI, these changes are not reflected in MLB.com's Internet accessible OBR; rather, they're included in the printed book, published by The Sporting News.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Make sure you are only implementing these new rules if your league (USSSA is the only organization I'm aware of that actually states this) states that they are using OBR according to the Sporting News. As you said, MLB's OBR has NOT yet adopted these changes officially (yet!).
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Well, MLB's online rules are several years old. The Sporting News is simply the entity that puts the rules into print for en masse consumption. We have a summer college league and another high school varsity level summer league that both play under what they always call "Pro Rules," yet they understand that this is "Official Baseball Rules." In the umpiring profession, of course, we refer to it as "OBR," which makes it easier linguistically, I guess.

Regardless, it was explained to me that MiLB is bound by these rules and their 23 changes, and that they will apply to MLB "officially" when the Players Assn. approves them. How and when that happens I don't presently know.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

MiLB has adopted all 23 of the rules changes. The MLB Players Union has voted to adopted 4 of the changes (eliminating redundant wording and such) the rest are in the process of being ratified. The players union has a one year veto before they have to vote on them. The rule changes are also in effect for all leagues to play by the Official Baseball Rules.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 11:39am

This is going to totally confuse everyone, in other words, right?

MiLB has adopted them all. Great. But most of us do not work pro ball.

I think the big reason why we aren't discussing the new rules is because they haven't been advertised very much, and few people are even aware of them. Probably just us umpires who read online forums.

UMP25, they are in the Sporting News Rules, but they are not contained in the 2006 Official Rules Of Baseball (Triumph) book, which for some reason came with my rules packet this year, when normally I receive the Sporting News version.

So basically, my 2006 OBR rule book is worthless, if we are supposed to use the new rules?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Gentlemen,

Two of the leagues I am coaching in this year use the following as the "foundation rules:

"Official Baseball rules published by the National Baseball Congress..."

Does anyone know if the "23 changes" are included in the NBC version?

Thanks.

JM
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

NBC's most recent version has NONE of the 23 changes. Yet.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
This is going to totally confuse everyone, in other words, right?
So what else is new?

Quote:
MiLB has adopted them all. Great. But most of us do not work pro ball.

I think the big reason why we aren't discussing the new rules is because they haven't been advertised very much, and few people are even aware of them. Probably just us umpires who read online forums.
You mean us geeks.

Quote:
UMP25, they are in the Sporting News Rules, but they are not contained in the 2006 Official Rules Of Baseball (Triumph) book, which for some reason came with my rules packet this year, when normally I receive the Sporting News version.

So basically, my 2006 OBR rule book is worthless, if we are supposed to use the new rules?
From what I was told by two individuals in pro ball, one an ump and the other who works in the MLB office, The Sporting News edition is the "official" one and is usually the latest one to be published, mainly because TSN waits until MLB gives them the go-ahead, which is based on whether or not there are any rule changes.

I do know that for the last umpteen years, when our association places its order for TSN OBR books, we have received them in early to mid-March or so. This year, the association rate order form we use didn't even get sent to us until just recently, meaning the books themselves weren't generally available until much later than usual.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Are these rule changes published in a news article or something similar, so i could print it out and show it to our rules interpreter? I'd print this page out, but a free forum open to anybody isn't really a good reliable source of information (err- not convincing enough).
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen them published anywhere except in the OBR by TSN.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

ahhh yes. the list is in the front cover. i just got my copy today from our state legion offices.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
I haven't seen them published anywhere except in the OBR by TSN.

You would have to get your hands on a copy of the official memo from the office of the commissioner, which likely wouldn't actually be that hard to do.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

An official memo is not the same thing as a published material, which TSN book is. Anyway...
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
An official memo is not the same thing as a published material, which TSN book is. Anyway...

You are right...It's not the same at all!

-Benjamin Franklin