Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
So who's the sucker now?
Well, with all the extra money I am making doing PCL, I could afford the expense!

I will just sucker myself right on down to the bank!

Tim, I find it amazing that you are so hostile towards what I wrote. Try stepping back from your ego a bit, and read it all again.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Pdx, may your 5th post be your last!!

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Pdx, may your 5th post be your last!!

Bob P.
Don't count on it! I love bulletin boards!

Old Wed May 17, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Bob:

We've picked up another one. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Tim.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGGY
I have a job that I am qualified for and earned- what would I (or any of the AMLU umpires) have to envy you?

Oh my...I hope you aren't implying that you are an AMLU member. It looks like you are you saying that you are a currently rostered Minor League Baseball umpire that is out on strike? Be very careful what you write.

Most people have jobs that they trained for in some capacity. Whether you pick fruit, wash dishes, wait tables or fly the space shuttle - all are qualified and earned the right to work those jobs.

For the record, the AMLU members ARE qualified and did earn the right to work those games - THEY SIMPLY CHOSE NOT TO WORK THEM!!!!
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Oh my...I hope you aren't implying that you are an AMLU member. It looks like you are you saying that you are a currently rostered Minor League Baseball umpire that is out on strike? Be very careful what you write.

Most people have jobs that they trained for in some capacity. Whether you pick fruit, wash dishes, wait tables or fly the space shuttle - all are qualified and earned the right to work those jobs.

For the record, the AMLU members ARE qualified and did earn the right to work those games - THEY SIMPLY CHOSE NOT TO WORK THEM!!!!
Really, a better point is that since the AMLU doesn't want to work, I am now QUITE "qualified" and earned the position!

Old Wed May 17, 2006, 06:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Have the cajones to contact me in person the next time we see each other . . . yeah, I didn't think you'd have the guts to do that.
Funny, that sounds just like another person I know.

Peace
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Be careful yourself, don't try to spin anything I say. I said what I said and nothing more, regardless of how you would want to spin things.

For the record, I HAVE SAID THEY ARE QUALIFIED AND DID EARN THE RIGHT TO WORK ALL ALONG! As far as choosing not to work- that isn't the case at all. It is a strike, a recognized labor negotiation tactic...again with the spin...

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

* THEY CHOSE NOT TO ACCEPT SPRING ASSIGNMENTS.

* THEY CHOSE TO WALK OUT AND ABANDON THEIR RIGHT TO THOSE GAMES.

* THEY CONTINUE TO MALIGN AND TERRORIZE THE REPLACEMENT UMPIRES.

It sounds like the amateurs may be more professional - they honor their contract and complete the job. They don't discredit their position, no matter what you say. They recognize their place and value the game.

I reread what you wrote (not said). You implied that you are trained and earned your job and made specific note of the AMLU gang. I'm sure that others read that the way I did. You are a wannabe and neverwillbe; you aren't that clever. Your history proves that you don't move in successful circles. That's too bad, a little achievement might have made you not so bitter.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

* THEY CHOSE NOT TO ACCEPT SPRING ASSIGNMENTS.

* THEY CHOSE TO WALK OUT AND ABANDON THEIR RIGHT TO THOSE GAMES.

* THEY CONTINUE TO MALIGN AND TERRORIZE THE REPLACEMENT UMPIRES.

It sounds like the amateurs may be more professional - they honor their contract and complete the job. They don't discredit their position, no matter what you say. They recognize their place and value the game.

I reread what you wrote (not said). You implied that you are trained and earned your job and made specific note of the AMLU gang. I'm sure that others read that the way I did. You are a wannabe and neverwillbe; you aren't that clever. Your history proves that you don't move in successful circles. That's too bad, a little achievement might have made you not so bitter.
You make great efforts to sound intelligent in your post, and yet you fail miserably every time. The only wannabe here is you, you wannabe smart, you wannabe in the know, you wannabe in the game, BUT YOU ARE NOT! The system worked, in weeding you out of the game leaving room for quality umpires who know how to handle themselves and don't run their mouths only proving their foolishness like you always have. Look up if you wish to address me, I "move in circles" a few rungs above you now on the umpire food chain.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzeugene
And my quick search of PDX lead me to the pdxbeavers who speak highly of you.

*The home plate umpire had a wildly inconsistent zone that had both teams voicing their displeasure. Sledge and Hirsch were both the victims of particularly bad strike calls. Brooks Conrad protested for an extended period after being called out on strikes in the seventh. The disagreement carried over to the ninth when he took a called strike and complained some more. After going down swinging, Conrad threw both his bat and helmet in disgust.

The bad news for both teams: assuming usual rotation, the anonymous umpire will be back behind the dish for Tuesday’s finale.

Zinter drew a walk on four pitches to lead off the inning, moved to second on a Conrad single and scored on a Cody Ransom single to center. Jason Hill, Cassel and Craig Colbet all argued that Zinter had been outside the baseline between third and home.

There was a minor confrontation between Round Rock shortstop Cody Ransom and Beavers catcher Luke Carlin in the top of the eighth inning. No punches were thrown, but everyone was rearing and ready to go if there had been.

*The Beavers two run fifth inning wasn’t without controversy. After Bobby Hill and Jason Hill led off the frame with back-to-back singles, pitcher Seth Etherton was called upon to lay down a sacrifice bunt, but was called for touching the ball in fair territory on an appeal to the first base umpire. The home plate umpire didn’t clearly rule on the play, but Albuquerque catcher Paul Hoover protested immediately. Skipper Dean Treanor took over the argument with the plate arbitrator who asked the first base umpire for help. After a brief discussion, Etherton was called out. Craig Colbert immediately took up the issue, getting an explanation from all three umpires before he was done. Meanwhile, Etherton waited at the right handed batter’s box, believing the ball was foul.

According to your "pdxbeavers" home town, you're doing a great job.
From your favorite supporter nearest the BOS, and your favorite fan in New England, good luck with your business decisions.
I'm very sorry to interupt your confrontations, but don't you think, everybody thinks that this problems could appear even if the regular Umpires was on place. It's something that could happen to anyone, good or bad Umpire, so give them a chanche to do what they only dream of.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

I did NOT post from a "look at me" position. I posted simply to clarify to Tim, who seemed to think he knows why I crossed the picket line, exactly why I did.

Also, if you go back and read very carefully, you will find NOWHERE that I made ANY claims about my umpiring skills. I simply stated that I wanted to see if I was "good enough", and might have made it in pro ball had I pursued that path. That is ALL I said. No claims about my quality. Only that I saw this as an opportunity to see where I am at in the realm of things.

Some of you guys can't seem to get a handle on that, and think that I am the type that has to go around "bragging" or what not. Indeed, I took some liberty and appeared to "brag" after the vicious, and unwarrented attacks by a few. What is funny is that NONE of you, except Tim C know me, and have absolutely no clue what you are talking about when you start discussing my attitude!

I can tell you this. The pdxbeavers crap is simply that, crap. Some of the situation described are totally inaccurate to what really happened out there. Anybody using a fans blog as a accurate meter as to how the crew did is just plain ignorant and silly!

What is amazing is not ONCE has anybody asked me what I have thought about the quality of the officiating of the games I have done. Everybody assumes that I somehow think everything has been perfect and nobody needs to improve. Let me tell you something, I did not get to the level or umpiring where I would be considered for being a "replacement" ump at the Triple A level because I am unrealistic about the job I do, or the job my partners do! I know my strengths and weaknesses! I have sat through many post game reviews from ex pro umpires and have had the obvious to the most subtle things they felt I am doing wrong pointed out to me.

I am glad I am doing what I am doing. It has been a tremendous challenge, and will only make me a MUCH better umpire. For your information, I feel I have done an adequate job out there!
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

And to touch on the original subject again, which was WHY "I" crossed the picket line.

If it was a "business decision" on my part, it was a VERY poor one! On afternoon games, I pretty much can't work that day, and I make about 1/3 to 1/4 doing the game as I would working my regular job! Business is about money, and in essense, Tim C is saying I crossed the picket line for money.

That is not true.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

PDXBlue:

Following your request I went back and read EACH post in this thread.

I read (trying to surpress my ego) what you really said and tried to decide what you really meant. That is what you have done with my column (it is not an "article" -- "Strikes & Outs" is arguably the oldest column of any type on the internet) and my thoughts.

Strikes & Outs is an opinion piece. Since I sign my real name and have my picture (out dated since I am soooo much thinner now) attached it is obvious that everything I write are my feelings about issues. I do not use your specific example as a starting or ending point . . . my audience is much larger than a local Portland Umpire.

I guess my issue is two fold:

1) I guess my poor writing skills have confused what a "business" decision is and how it affects any umpire. PDX, it is my opinion, that working a game to "test" one's ability and grade oneself is a "business" decision. The "business" is the process that you are following to evaluate your abilities as rated against other umpires and other levels of baseball.

That is a "business" decision.

It isn't always about the amount of money involved. Since you know me you recognize that I feel your pain in giving up part of my work day to umpire even high school baseball -- it costs me money to umpire a high school game also.

2) My second concern about your posts is that you continue to take shots at me that are personal and not important to others on this board. I am fine with you bringing the basic issue to this thread since my column is public your concerns should also be public. My concern lies in that fact that you don't have the professionalism to even send me a private e-mail from my reftown address or even send one through my officiating.com e-mail.

Tonight you have an excellent opportunity to talk with me face-to-face. Better yet you can talk with me Saturday morning at the mandatory 3 man clinic.

I tried previously to step away from this thread and I'll try that again now . . .

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Thu May 18, 2006 at 09:49am.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
I did NOT post from a "look at me" position. I posted simply to clarify to Tim, who seemed to think he knows why I crossed the picket line, exactly why I did.

Also, if you go back and read very carefully, you will find NOWHERE that I made ANY claims about my umpiring skills. I simply stated that I wanted to see if I was "good enough", and might have made it in pro ball had I pursued that path. That is ALL I said. No claims about my quality. Only that I saw this as an opportunity to see where I am at in the realm of things.

Some of you guys can't seem to get a handle on that, and think that I am the type that has to go around "bragging" or what not. Indeed, I took some liberty and appeared to "brag" after the vicious, and unwarrented attacks by a few. What is funny is that NONE of you, except Tim C know me, and have absolutely no clue what you are talking about when you start discussing my attitude!

I can tell you this. The pdxbeavers crap is simply that, crap. Some of the situation described are totally inaccurate to what really happened out there. Anybody using a fans blog as a accurate meter as to how the crew did is just plain ignorant and silly!

What is amazing is not ONCE has anybody asked me what I have thought about the quality of the officiating of the games I have done. Everybody assumes that I somehow think everything has been perfect and nobody needs to improve. Let me tell you something, I did not get to the level or umpiring where I would be considered for being a "replacement" ump at the Triple A level because I am unrealistic about the job I do, or the job my partners do! I know my strengths and weaknesses! I have sat through many post game reviews from ex pro umpires and have had the obvious to the most subtle things they felt I am doing wrong pointed out to me.

I am glad I am doing what I am doing. It has been a tremendous challenge, and will only make me a MUCH better umpire. For your information, I feel I have done an adequate job out there!

You speak as if there were some qualifications for scabs who were to work this season. I watched a little league umpire with no high school or college experience work a AAA game just the other day, no one could even think to say he was somehow qualified to work at that level. You act as though it says something positive about your ability to umpire to have gotten a phone call to scab. MiLB themselves has pretty much admitted that they just looked for warm bodies in blue shirts. If anything, getting such a phone call is really proof positive that you are not good enough to work that level of ball. How many phone calls did you receive last season to come work in the minor leagues? To say you wanted to see if you are "good enough" is a joke. You aren't doing the real job, and even with that aren't doing well. If you want to find out if you are good enough, sack up and go to Florida in January. Spend the money, the time away from home, the bad hotel room, bad food, aching muscles, etc. to see where you come out. Bottom line, you know you don't have it in you. If you did, you would have already taken your shot. But you didn't, and now you are trying to justify being a person with no integrity and poor character. You are willing to hurt a fellow man in blue, one that did have the guts to put it all on the line to pursue the dream, just so you can ease the pain of being a coward who never stepped up to take his shot at making it. If you have chosen to scab, fine, but you should do so quietly and in shame. Bragging about having accomplished something by working as a scab just highlights what a coward and a fool you really are.

-Benjamin Franklin