The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

So, Tim C

In your last "blog" entry, you made the following comment:

Crossing a picket line of a strike is neither a moral or an ethical decision. It is nothing more than a business decision.

I disagree.

I would "scab" for FAR less money than I am being paid. Indeed, I would not work PCL games for free, but, I would not work ANY level of baseball for free.

Indeed, my decision to "scab" wasn't based on morals or ethics in any direct way.

Simply, it is an opportunity of a lifetime to umpire the best baseball I will ever get to umpire.

It is also a chance for me to get an idea of how good I currently am, and how good I might have become had I made different decisions many years ago concerning my umpiring career.

I just thought you should know.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down A braggart and a fool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
In your last "blog" entry, you made the following comment:

Crossing a picket line of a strike is neither a moral or an ethical decision. It is nothing more than a business decision.

I disagree.

I would "scab" for FAR less money than I am being paid. Indeed, I would not work PCL games for free, but, I would not work ANY level of baseball for free.

Indeed, my decision to "scab" wasn't based on morals or ethics in any direct way.

Rather a lack thereof

Simply, it is an opportunity of a lifetime to umpire the best baseball I will ever get to umpire.

Very true!

It is also a chance for me to get an idea of how good I currently am, and how good I might have become had I made different decisions many years ago concerning my umpiring career.

How do you figure? How many calls did you get last year to come work minor league ball? Getting a scab assignment means nothing as far as a statement of your umpiring ability. You don't have to be any good whatsoever or even have a general clue of what you are doing to work as a scab right now. Wake up, and Grow up! Every man makes his own decision, I respect that, but don't try to convince anyone else that it is something good or noble you are doing or otherwise justified in any way. Drug dealers justify their "business decisions" as well... If you choose to be a scab, just say "I chose to be a scab, I knew I would never otherwise work at such a level and my ego wouldn't allow me to acknowledge that I wasn't qualified and didn't earn it." I (and others) wouldn't like you any more, but could at least respect the fact that you stood up and owned up to your actions as a man.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

LOL....I love envy.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LOL....I love envy.
Have you seen the scab photos on the AMLU site or read some of the articles about the "fill in" guys? Envy is not the correct word.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 01:43am

Did anyone see how horrific a call Mark Carlson made in the D'Backs/Padres game Monday? Doug Eddings revisited. If you didn't see it, you are lucky, because it was BRUTAL.

I have seen better umpiring from replacement umpires!

Read the articles about the terrible calls in MLB. There are plenty to choose from.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 05:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzeugene
And my quick search of PDX lead me to the pdxbeavers who speak highly of you.
And being a curious sort, I did a quick search of PDX too and found the story that you cited. The funny thing is, though, that the story didn't come from the Portland Beavers or anyone affiliated with them. It came from a fan-based and fan-maintained web site. Imagine that, fans dumping on umpires. Now who could be better qualified to judge umpires than fans of the home team?

Methinks your post doesn't rate very high on the credibility chart, lorenzeugene.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

When the regular umps come back, I am SURE we will never see a call they make contested!

Old Wed May 17, 2006, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

PDXBlue

Well let's see:

I don't write a "blog" . . . I write a column which I am paid for.

Also, I don't understand your point other than attempting to clarifiy the "whys" of your decision to work. My column is VERY clear that all information about deciding to work (or not) is about my personal decision.

Last if you would read the entire column and just not the tease you might understand what the column is about and my position. You would also find that I criticize both the striking umpires and the replacement umpires: however that would take effort on your part and you rather sit back, hide behind a screen name and take shots . . . that's OK it just keeps my name and column in people's minds.

Again, I recognize that I probably work games with you in Portland . . . and that you are the source of complaint to our mutal assignor . . . for that I am sad.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Wed May 17, 2006 at 08:01am.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I was going to say it's a fine line between envy and disdain, but come to think of it, it's a rather thick line, isn't it?
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

the circus is in town...

Quote:
LOL....I love envy.

I have a job that I am qualified for and earned- what would I (or any of the AMLU umpires) have to envy you?

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Well let's see:

I don't write a "blog" . . . I write a column which I am paid for.

Also, I don't understand your point other than attempting to clarifiy the "whys" of your decision to work. My column is VERY clear that all information about deciding to work (or not) is about my personal decision.

Last if you would read the entire column and just not the tease you might understand what the column is about and my position. You would also find that I criticize both the striking umpires and the replacement umpires: however that would take effort on your part and you rather sit back, hide behind a screen name and take shots . . . that's OK it just keeps my name and column in people's minds.

Again, I recognize that I probably work games with you in Portland . . . and that you are the source of complaint to our mutal assignor . . . for that I am sad.

Regards,
They pay you? My oh my......

Tim, there is no need to twist this all around. In your "article", you state the opinion that there is only one reason to cross a picket line, and go on to state that reason. This does not come across as your reason to whether to cross a picket line or not, it comes across as anybody's reason. So, if you meant that statement as your reason, then you didn't make that very clear at all. I am fairly well used to your comments not being very clear in their meaning.

Tim, I paid the $50 and read the whole article. That is an interesting "shot" you take at me accusing me of not. Why the hostility?

So, can you clarify your comment "and that you are the source of complaint to our mutal assignor . . . for that I am sad."? I won't touch this until you do.

As to hiding behind a screen name.................you should try it some time.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
If you wanted to pick a fight with Tim why not grow a pair and do it face to face away from this board. Your thread does nothing to further the cause of either the men who chose to cross the line, or the AMLU members who are on strike. It is a cowardly attempt to disrupt this board.

Bob, Mick, or whoever, this thread needs to be shut down.

Tim.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Gee PDXBlue,

In closing . . .

I have said often that "crossing a picket line is not a moral or ethical decision it is a business decision." That goes for ANY picket line crossed.

By crossing a picket line a replacement umpire allows the "business" of minor league baseball to continue. Crossing any picket line (say a grocery checker line) allows that business to continue.

You need a better platform to sully anything I have said than half-baked discussions such as you are bringing to this board.

Have the cajones to contact me in person the next time we see each other . . . yeah, I didn't think you'd have the guts to do that.

Regards,
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They pay you?
Quote:
Tim, I paid the $50 and read the whole article.

So who's the sucker now?
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 12:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
So who's the sucker now?
I don't care who ya are, that's funny!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25