The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to WMU_05
stretching advice

i started umping again a few weeks ago after taking a year off, and i realized i'm not 19 anymore. i umped three games and now, after three days off, my thighs are still sore. i admit i didn't do much stretching before those games, but i'm not really sure of good stretches for umpires to do before working the dish.

i will spend more time pulling my foot up near my back, for sure. but if anyone else could throw out other suggestions, i'd really appreciate it. thanks.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
My GAWD man, pulling your foot up near your back? What are you stretching for, the rubber band Olympics????

I just do some simple stretching, making sure to get the major muscle groups loose. Also make sure to get some light jogs and sprints in the outfield. The worse thing that can happen to you is to have the first batter of the game crack a gapper and end up at third, with you laying on the ground at first grabbing your hamstring and yelling like a girl!!!

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Stretching doesn't prevent soreness.

Being in shape prevents soreness.

You should be doing a full complement of Runner's stretches, 5 times a week, especially before a game. You can do an Internet search to find a good routine you can fit into your schedule.

Aside from that, you should be running or riding a bike 3 - 5 times a week. And don't forget weight lifting. Nothing burns fat faster, not even running.

Nick
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

stretching after a game is a good idea as well, but you could probably get away with doing this at home rather than sit around in the parking lot and stretch.

i stretch my legs out in every way i can while standing, and right before i leave home/work for a game i do the typical sitting down leg stretches you would do. i dont do too much upper body stretching as there isnt a whole lot involved there, but i do some trunk twists to loosen up and such
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Sore and tight are 2 different things.

Soreness will go away after a few games.

If you're tight, you should stretch you hamstrings and groin before every game. Those are the ones that tighten up the easiest.

I'm a young buck, so currently i'm affected by neither soreness nor tightness before or after games, so i don't do any stretching.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

You have GOT to be kidding Bossman.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I'm a young buck, so currently i'm affected by neither soreness nor tightness before or after games, so i don't do any stretching.
im 21 and in pretty good shape but i always make sure to stretch. i played way too much baseball in my life so far to go on a field without stretching at least a little bit. it all depends on who you are and what else you do, but i'd look more into stretching. you wouldnt want to pull something when you quickly turn and take the ball down the line from A
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

The ONLY stretching I have ever done is reaching for a cold Bud post game.

Seriously, I have never done any stretching ever in my umpire life.

Regards,
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Those are the most important stretches you can do, Tim. Even if there isn't a game that day.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

The reason why you're sore is you're using muscles you don't normally use...in your case (to be sore for THREE days afterwards), you've severely overworked your quads.

The remedy to this is to let the soreness subside, then start doing squats with no weight, perhaps some lunges as well. Move up to using light weights and work from there. Try and do this every other day, keeping in mind those nights when you have games to call. This will strengthen, tone and prepare your muscles for plate games and the required running in the field.

You don't get in shape overnight, it takes time.