The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Team ahead and loses ??

http://www.herald-citizen.com/NF/omf.wnm/herald/sports_story.html?[rkey=0040075+[cr=gdn

This happened in my hometown.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

don't fed rules call for suspended games?? or is it just a state thing?? in the state of PA, the PIAA has suspended games for all varsity games - even regular season games. they would just pick up the game as is - 6-3 and complete it at a later date.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnroundballref
Separate from the "should the game have been suspended" questions, the theory of the revert rule is that both teams deserve an equal number of opportunities to score. As this didn't happen, the score reverts.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 09:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Separate from the "should the game have been suspended" questions, the theory of the revert rule is that both teams deserve an equal number of opportunities to score. As this didn't happen, the score reverts.
And it's a theory that has been abandoned by most clear thinking people.

That said, look at how the rat puts the blame on the umpires for "not wanting to wait it out." How typical.

Last edited by Rich; Sat May 13, 2006 at 09:09am.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Always Wright
This used to be the major league rule as well. A little background to how it changed. August 1978 Yankees at Baltimore. Yankees are in the midst of their comeback on the Red Sox. I don't remember the inning or score, but Yankees score several runs in the top of the inning to go ahead. Skies open up, torrential summer thunderstorm as often happens in Baltimore in August. Rains for a while but eventually stops. Grounds crew taking the tarp off the field "accidentally" dumps a huge amount of water in left field making the field totally unplayable. Umps call game and score reverts to last complete inning and Orioles win. As we remember, Yankees and Red Sox tie for title with Yankees winning playoff. That game in Baltimore could have cost Yanks the pennant. The rule was changed to the current rule of a suspended game in that situation the following winter.

Chris Wright
Brooklyn, NY
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
And it's a theory that has been abandoned by most clear thinking people.
You need to separate the "equal chances" thought from the "should we suspend" thought - as I did.

There 's nothing wrong with the theory that teams get an equal number of chances to score and never will be.

I DID say I was NOT talking about whether or not the game should have been suspended.

In the LL environment, suspending can be a real pain in the butt. It messes up game scheduling, field scheduling, concession scheduling, umpire scheduling, pitching (due to the inning and rest requirements), and perhaps player/coach availability.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Sat May 13, 2006 at 04:28pm.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I my opinion, the question of whether to suspend was moot. How long do you wait? The story mentioned several truck loads of dirt were coming to help fix the field. Was that going to occur that night? Common sense says that game was over for that day.

The replay or revert decision was not the umpires, but the state association's. Of course, everyone blames the umpires, who actually have little say in this situation.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
You need to separate the "equal chances" thought from the "should we suspend" thought - as I did.

There 's nothing wrong with the theory that teams get an equal number of chances to score and never will be.

I DID say I was NOT talking about whether or not the game should have been suspended.

In the LL environment, suspending can be a real pain in the butt. It messes up game scheduling, field scheduling, concession scheduling, umpire scheduling, pitching (due to the inning and rest requirements), and perhaps player/coach availability.
Suspend the game, and only start it up again if it makes a difference in league standings at the end of the year. Fields should be clear then.

I once coached a game that was tied after 7 (normal 6 inning game for 11-12 year olds), 1-1 due to the "don't start an inning after 10:30 rule". The league made us play an entire game after the end of the season because the other team would win the league if the tie was changed to a win. For my team it meant nothing. Why it was a complete game played was never explained to me. No one else was playing that day. I don't recall if concessions was open but it probably was. There was a big crowd on hand.

The games were under Babe Ruth rules that allow a tie to count for 1/2 game in the standings so I was perfectly willing for the other team to finish 2nd in the league, 1/2 game out of first. They had the tie breaker on the other team they just needed equal records. I suspect there were some politics at work to make us play again.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Since when do you wait around for two hours before calling a rain out? 20 truckloads of dirt? Did they figure they were going to put in a new infield or something? Something is just strange about this situaiton.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

yeah I am sure "25 truck loads of dirt" is going to do that field wonders.....
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan has changed this rule.

MHSAA (Mich HS Ath Assn.) has allowed for suspended games in their state championships. I think that this is the first year for it.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

30 Minutes

Isn't that the rule? If rain or weather makes a field unplayable, wait 30 minutes. If it's still unplayable, the game is over for the day on that field, and depending on the innings and score, it's a no game, a suspended game or a complete game. I am not waiting 2 hours for the dirt to get there and another 2 hours for the grounds crew (if there is one) to get the field in shape.

And the article was typical- "umpire's judgment call" followed shortly thereafter by "flooded field". In other words, the umpires decided not to play where the kids would have needed SCUBA equipment. How terrible of the umpires, who obviously do nothing but sit around and think of new, creative ways to favor one side or the other.

Bad call, Blue. You're cheating the kids.

Strikes and outs!
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
Isn't that the rule? If rain or weather makes a field unplayable, wait 30 minutes. If it's still unplayable, the game is over for the day on that field, and depending on the innings and score, it's a no game, a suspended game or a complete game. I am not waiting 2 hours for the dirt to get there and another 2 hours for the grounds crew (if there is one) to get the field in shape.

And the article was typical- "umpire's judgment call" followed shortly thereafter by "flooded field". In other words, the umpires decided not to play where the kids would have needed SCUBA equipment. How terrible of the umpires, who obviously do nothing but sit around and think of new, creative ways to favor one side or the other.

Bad call, Blue. You're cheating the kids.

Strikes and outs!
In High School State Championship play(in many states) have no say whatsoever in calling the game. The game management people make the call.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I left a game Thursday after 15 minutes of rain delay. The bottom fell out and it was obvious to all that there would be no chance to resume play. I have never called a game without discussing with the home coach and I have never had one who disagreed. I have also had discussions with the home coach prior to beginning a game. I have had a case or two when I had not stopped the game yet and the coach came out to suggest I do.

I have also had games that were rained out at one site, and moved to another. This happened twice last year for two different summer tournaments.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

LakeErieUmp

This all depends on whether the truckloads of dirt were delived by a union driver or a SCAB, right?