Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Or....

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles35
Maybe look at this a different way. It's not so much that the 100mph fastball RISES, but rather that it doesn't DROP as much as one thrown at 90mph or less.
you can look at it like everyone else. SAUMP is an idiot, has been proven wrong many times and still won't accept that he is wrong.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Relative DROP

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles35
Maybe look at this a different way. It's not so much that the 100mph fastball RISES, but rather that it doesn't DROP as much as one thrown at 90mph or less.
The ACTUAL DROP is nearly identical from release POINT A (hand at 6 foot) to TARGET B (mitt at 3 foot) at 70 mph, 90 mph or 100 mph. The belief that the 100 mph fastball doesn't drop as much as one thrown at 90 mph is erroneous. The RATE of the DROP must be HIGHER for the 100 mph pitcher to hit the TARGET. In REALITY, the 100 mph pitch drops as much, if not MORE than the 90 mph pitch, because it does so in LESS TIME. Less time implies a FASTER drop rate is needed from the start of the release angle.

Next time you see heavy objects flying around a tornado or a hurricane, don't tell me any of those round or flat objects can't behave like a wing. This AIR passing beneath (not around) a 100 mph baseball makes LIFT possible at relatively flat angles, less than 15 degees. Not only does 100 mph fastball move faster, it carries more energy at a relatively flat 5 degree angle. Now I don't believe the AIR plays a role in adding to this downward energy, but I do believe the AIR plays a role in dampening this downward energy through SURFACE DRAG. The energy is certainly there, the surface pressure difference is there, and LIFT is entirely possible. I compare it to skipping rocks above water at much lower velocities. I can get a RISE 2 or 3 times before the rock settles below the water.
------------------
Even I recognize this will not add very much to dispelling the myth.

Last edited by SAump; Thu May 11, 2006 at 06:43pm.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Next time you see heavy objects flying around a tornado or a hurricane, don't tell me any of those round or flat objects can't behave like a wing. This AIR passing beneath (not around) a 100 mph baseball makes LIFT possible at relatively flat angles, less than 15 degrees.
A round object has too much Side Spill to create as much lift as a wing. Side Spill is air spilling over from the sides onto the top, and counteracting the lift. This effect is something wing designers have to fight with. One of the reasons a wing is narrower at the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I compare it to skipping rocks above water at much lower velocities. I can get a RISE 2 or 3 times before the rock settles below the water.
Try skipping a ROUND rock, and see what happens.

Nick
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Don't know where you're at SAUmp, but around here we generally don't play ball in tornadoes.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Express to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Try skipping a ROUND rock, and see what happens.
See http://www.roundrockexpress.com/

I see a connection to Nolan Ryan who may confirm throwing an occasional rising fastball.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Near Round Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Don't know where you're at SAUmp, but around here we generally don't play ball in tornadoes.
Home of the missions.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Well know that can be either San Antonio (where I spent a lovely summer in basic) OR Houston (where the space missions were based)
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

id go with San Antonio, because his name isnt Hump
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Saw a video of a cow atop a barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
It is mathematically impossible to throw a rising fastball.
A) The ball is spinning in the wrong direction.
B) Round objects don't create lift like a wing when traveling through air.
C) The ball is traveling at a downward trajectory with too much energy to overcome direction and gravity.
D) I see rising fastballs all the time !
Saw the video on TV of a cow standing on the roof of a barn.
Folks around here would swear UP and down that it was scientifically impossible for a cow to climb atop a barn.
Some are still wondering how the cow climbed UP there because it can't be explained mathematically.

Last edited by SAump; Thu May 11, 2006 at 11:39pm.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

You sound like an economist - you are ASSUMING the cow CLIMBED up there. Simply because a cow is on the roof does not mean it climbed up there itself.
But I'm feeling frisky tonight - what does this "rising fastball" thread say about a SUBMARINE-style pitcher's fastball???
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

speaking of animals getting on things in wierd ways, anyone ever seen this: http://www.wayweird.com/archives/200...ets_pole_3.jpg
it ran so fast that it rose right up there
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
You sound like an economist - you are ASSUMING the cow CLIMBED up there. Simply because a cow is on the roof does not mean it climbed up there itself.
But I'm feeling frisky tonight - what does this "rising fastball" thread say about a SUBMARINE-style pitcher's fastball???
The idea behind a Submarine'r, is he is either throwing perfectly level, or a little up. Ball starts out rising, and continues. Where as a rising fastball starts out level or descending, and then changes direction to rise.

It can't be done !

But please don't tell my son that, as I taught him how to do it. He also has a 90+ fastball with a 12" corkscrew on the end. Too bad he chose to play the ridiculous game of Basketball, instead of continuing on with baseball. The local colleges were frothing at the mouth to get a hold of that arm. And he thinks nothing of it.

Nick
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Oh good Lord you have to get to him!! BASKETBALL???
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Impossible, Come on

Movement on a 100 mph FASTBALL: left, right and down only.

You're joking, right? Houston, we need LIFT OFF.

Last edited by SAump; Fri May 12, 2006 at 12:49am.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

My cousin could throw a mean rise-ball. It started out a little below the knees and was about shoulder height when it got to the plate.

Of course this was whiffle-ball.