Thread: Rising fastball
View Single Post
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Post Please Release Me O Mighty Myth Buster

"I thought most physicists had come to the conclusion that it was impossible for a fastball to rise, but that the really hard throwers have a ball that drops less, giving the appearance of a rise to hitters who are used to seeing the ball drop more with the average pitcher."

Yeah, it drops less, an entire foot less.

Speed _ Ft/sec __ Time __ Freefall _ Height _ %gravity %other
103, ___ 151.06, _ 0.397, _ -2.523, _ 4.476, _ 0.360, __ 0.639,
88, ____ 129.06, _ 0.464, _ -3.457, _ 3.542, _ 0.493, __ 0.506,

The faster the ball travels, the less influence gravity has on its path.

Giving the appearance of a rise to hitters who are used to seeing the ball drop more with the average pitcher.
Only an appearance of rise if one NEGLECTS LIFT which is present in AIR, aka RISE. This also doesn't explain the flight characteristics of 2 100 mph pitches that hit different spots (1 HIGHER than the lower, a REAL observational FACT).

"But that the really hard throwers have a ball that drops less."
Laws of physics can also explain "drops of a foot less" without any LIFT, aka RISE, by increasing horizontal velocity; which by the way adds to the presence of LIFT, aka RISE. Oh, I forgot that theses arguments FAIL to include LIFT, aka RISE.

"Most physicists had come to the conclusion that it was impossible for a fastball to rise."
Physicist are studying a baseball released at a DOWNWARD angle and FAIL to introduce LIFT, aka RISE. You can't see LIFT, aka RISE, if you ignore AIR conditions for LIFT and you FAIL to consider it's presence in that AIR.

Funny, summer is almost here and the HOME RUN balls will travel further. I suppose more pitches will also HANG UP in that thick AIR too. I suppose those sliders will have the appearance of less sliding, those sinkers will have the appearance of less sinking and those curveballs will have the appearance of less curving. We may all agree a pitch will hang UP on a pitcher. Why is it so hard to accept the next logical reasoning level?

Last edited by SAump; Thu May 11, 2006 at 04:39pm.