Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles35
My mistake. It was the defensive coach that was claiming it was foul (and dead). I corrected that in my original post.
Well......that's DIFFERENT! Never Mind.

Old Tue May 09, 2006, 11:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Well......that's DIFFERENT! Never Mind.

Good to see Emily again! R.I.P. Gilda.....
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=orioles35]
I don't know what the exact rule is, but it reads something like "once a runner has legally obtained a base, he cannot retreat to a prior base after the play has ended" (leaving the door open for a runner to retouch DURING a play, if necessary).
QUOTE]Godd reason why you "don't know what the exact rule is ...":
Ain't no such rule in baseball for a sitch where the ball is live.

IF THE BALL BECOMES DEAD after a runner acquires a base, a runner cannot return to retouch a base that was missed or left early [unless required to return by a "runners return .." type of penalty /award].
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Did PWL say "uncaught foul tip"?? Once a foul "tip" is not caught it becomes a "foul ball". I would use the "little" foul ball signal in this situation.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Do you ever give the little "time out" signal to let everyone know that it was a foul tip and caught before you give the strike signal?
What in the world is the "little time out signal?" The world is still awaiting this explanation.

All you are to do is give the "foul tip" signal and the "strike" signal. I am unfamiliar with the "little time out signal."
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
[quote=cbfoulds]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles35
I don't know what the exact rule is, but it reads something like "once a runner has legally obtained a base, he cannot retreat to a prior base after the play has ended" (leaving the door open for a runner to retouch DURING a play, if necessary).
QUOTE]Godd reason why you "don't know what the exact rule is ...":
Ain't no such rule in baseball for a sitch where the ball is live.

IF THE BALL BECOMES DEAD after a runner acquires a base, a runner cannot return to retouch a base that was missed or left early [unless required to return by a "runners return .." type of penalty /award].
7.01 casebook comment. If a runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes his pitching position the runner may not return to a previously occupied base.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=NFump]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds

7.01 casebook comment. If a runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes his pitching position the runner may not return to a previously occupied base.
Good point, hadn't been thinking of that one, which, in my defense, is inaposite to the original sitch. Also, see:

7.08(i) ... If a runner touches an unoccupied base and then thinks the ball was caught or is decoyed into returning to the base he last touched, he may be put out running back to that base, but if he reaches the previously occupied base safely he cannot be put out while in contact with that base.
[my emphasis]
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
orioles,

When the foul tip happened, did you verbalize anything at all? did you say "Foul Tip!" or "Foul ball!" ??
Since a foul tip is by definition a swinging strike, there is no verbalization.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Since a foul tip is by definition a swinging strike, there is no verbalization.

Yes, i know this. I was asking just in case orioles did it- which would lead to confusion on the field.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'll toss this out to try and help answer the question about the "time out" signal. In the back of the Fed rule book, the "Mechanics" illustrations show the umpire making what appears to be a 'time out' signal (like I'm typically used to seeing a basketball player use towards the official). I was taught to signal a foul tip by brushing the palm/fingertips of one hand across the back of the other, so seeing the mechanic depicted this way was a bit confusing. I wasn't sure if this was a different mechanic or just how the one I learned was drawn. Guess I'm not crazy after all (well, not as much as I'd thought ).

"There are three types of people in the world. Those who learn from the mistakes of others, those who learn from their own mistakes, and those who feel compelled to urinate on the electric fence." Unknown
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 12:11am

I'm looking at the 2005 book (the only one I have) and it shows and describes the mechanic as "the palms of the hands glance off each other as they pass above eye level, followed by a strike call." That's a bit more like it.

It really should read "followed by a non-verbal strike signal."

That so-called "little time out signal" is what referees use for a technical foul signal in basketball, yet I have seen older FED baseball mechanic pictures depicting a similar motion for foul tip.

I have never paterned my signals after the hyserically funny pictures in the FED rule book. Play Ball is especially ROTFLMAO funny. Looks like the guy is smacking himself in the mask. What's wrong with a good point to the pitcher?