The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 01:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokeeffe
One thing is for sure: The days of "brothers in arms" is certainly over for what was once a fairly close umpire (at all levels) family.
Actually, we finally found out in no uncertain terms how the minor league umpires, fresh out of pro school and wet-behind-the-ears, really and truly felt about us "amateur" or "local charlie" umpires. They never really considered us as "brothers in arms," but rather as a bunch of smitties, regardless of our vast knowledge of the game and our years of battle on the diamond.

Their viewpoint concerning amateurs is without merit, as I personally have worked with a few pro school graduates who couldn't carry my mask to home plate.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

They are not my brothers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokeeffe
One thing is for sure: The days of "brothers in arms" is certainly over for what was once a fairly close umpire (at all levels) family.
Another shameless advertisement:

Actually, this "brotherhood" has been more or less a fiction for years. The strike has only made the schism more visable. Read my series of articles for details.

Peter
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by His High Holiness
Another shameless advertisement:

Actually, this "brotherhood" has been more or less a fiction for years. The strike has only made the schism more visable. Read my series of articles for details.

Peter
I would argue that it very much depends upon what part of the country one lives. In SoCal we have very few MiLB or MLB umpires living here, so the opportunity for interaction is limited. In other areas the releationship is quite good, esp. where the MiLB umpire(s) worked out of a local organization before pro ball. Other areas - well, frankly it can be ugly.

From my experience, a poor relationship often goes to a lack of understanding & communication between the groups. I have heard many MiLB AND NCAA umpires comment that while doing clinics for HS or college level umpires they often do not see the drive or desire that they have come to expect, which leads to a lack of respect in many cases.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Their viewpoint concerning amateurs is without merit, as I personally have worked with a few pro school graduates who couldn't carry my mask to home plate.
Steve,

There are numerous lightweight masks available. Maybe if you invested in one it would be easier for the newbies to carry it for you. Also, if your mask is as heavy as you imply, one of the lighter ones may take a lot of unnecessary pressure off of your neck. Just a thought.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
Steve,

There are numerous lightweight masks available. Maybe if you invested in one it would be easier for the newbies to carry it for you. Also, if your mask is as heavy as you imply, one of the lighter ones may take a lot of unnecessary pressure off of your neck. Just a thought.
he wasnt talking about the weight of his mask there
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

I think yer right...it was a hyberaphore.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
apparently i wasn't laying the sarcasm on think enough for you, brian...i'll try harder next time.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
apparently i wasn't laying the sarcasm on think enough for you, brian...i'll try harder next time.
i didnt get the memo, i was in serious-mode.