The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 02:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
so a 90 year old man that has officiated 100,000 games over 50 years in his life is better than a major league umpire who has only worked maybe....4,000 games?

just curious if your rationale applies to everyone or only you, sir.
I would expect a totally asinine statement from you, orangeump.

First off, for the first 16 years I umpired, I worked no less than 175, and as many as 228 games in a calendar year. That is many more games than any pro umpire works in any given year.

Secondly, I was referring to wet-behind-the-ears, fresh out of pro-school umpires, who barely have any game experience, i.e., less than 500 to 600 games, which is usually the case with minor league umpires.

Third, the example you listed is just plain stupid. The 90 year old man who started umpiring at age 40. Yeah, okay......put down the crack pipe before posting, please!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

I don't take issue with the Minor League striker umpiring lower level to fill his time and wallet. UNLESS...he is not part of that organization, didn't pay the required dues and isn't taking the best games from those who deserve to work them. Cherry picking those assignments is happening and the guy who has put in a decade or more in order to prove himself is now relegated to less visible games. That person is getting skunked by a guy who has no shot at being assigned playoff contests.

Now, we've had rain at the most inopportune times this Spring. A lot of games have been tossed around and schedule shifting has become the norm. If that MiLB guy wants some work, I know an assignor or two who can give him all the Freshman, Sophomore or JV contests he can handle. It's not like he's going to need to stay sharp - those replacements are handling the task very well.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
I believe he said he made $10,500 last year as a professional, not as a high school umpire.

But, I could be wrong, I am an umpire.

Doug
The only thing you might have missed was my sarcasm. The gentleman
said he made $10,500 last year in MiLB, I was wondering if he thought
he could match that figure doing high school ball.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I have invested many more years and thousands of dollars to work for less than peanuts with absolutely no chance of working in the show.
Right, so you're not doing it for the sake of working MLB. You're doing it for some other reason, possibly for the love of it. Which, in the old fashioned (and best) sense, would make you an amateur (remember, "amo, amas, amat?"). Of course, it's possible to umpire both for the love of it and for the $$...

Amateurs, working for the love of it, have a rather different psychology, since they have another career and other parts of their lives to define themselves.