The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PanamaCityBrian
Bought some new equipment today???

Well i went and got my gear today i got the +POS BB2000 chest protector for 50 bucks a Play it again in town DLG-155 Diamond Shin Guards they didnt have a mask yet but for a starter set what do you guys think i am going to upgrade my shin guards but i am mainly curious about the chest protector

Thx Guys
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Hey McCrowder, well I guess I thought this site was for umpires looking for advice and help as well as the occasional comment. But in your case I guess this site is for bashing other people. You could have saved alot of people some time and saved me the effort of responding to this by simply keeping your mouth shut! But if anyone else out there has any suggestions or comments I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thx Guys

P.S. and by the way daddy is my grammar and punctuation better now I did not mean to offend you I promise I will not do it again
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaCityBrian
Hey McCrowder, well I guess I thought this site was for umpires looking for advice and help as well as the occasional comment. But in your case I guess this site is for bashing other people. You could have saved alot of people some time and saved me the effort of responding to this by simply keeping your mouth shut! But if anyone else out there has any suggestions or comments I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Most people asked what they think about equipment before they buy it. Now that you have already bought the chest protector, go out and use it and see how it works. If it works for you then keep using the equipment, if it doesn't get new stuff.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

The topic title suggests you have a question???
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Panama - We're more than happy to offer advice and answer questions.

But you didn't ask a question (or if you did, it's buried in the unintelligible punctuationless babble). All you did was tell the world that you bought something new --- something most of us here do rather commonly. I ask again - who cares. There seemed to be no point to your post to go along with the fact that it's unreadable.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

my .02

I have the BB2000 as well and have had it for a number of years. I am definately happy with the level of protection it provides. The only downside I have found is heat retention and some bulk..(robo-ump). In late July and August, it can be uncomfortable....again, a trade off due to the level of protection....

I have a Honigs K1 I use for lower level ball, which is the best for lightweight protection, but I miss the hard shell confidence. I am trying out a friends Platinum this summer to see if that is the best compromise between light weight, protection and less heat retention........

Best of luck to you.......Im sure this will not be your last gear purchase...

Stan
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thx Guys

P.S. and by the way daddy is my grammar and punctuation better now I did not mean to offend you I promise I will not do it again

I think it's the scabs' fault.

Old Tue May 02, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I'll try to answer the "unasked" questions. HAHA

I use the K1 and have no problems with it at the Varsity level. I did take an untouched fastball in the chest and I felt it. But once the paramedics left I was ok (Just Kidding!!!).

If money is tight, I would budget high for your chest protector and plate shoes. Lower on the list would be shin guards. If you absolutely can't afford plate shoes, I'd recommend some athletic style shoe's or work boots with steel toes. At Honigs you can order metatarsal pads that attach to your shin guards. I used that combination for several years.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I am sry for not asking the question. I thought the question was inmplied in the in the statement. I bought the chest protector due to neccesity at the time. I was hoping to hear something in the form of ; " It isnt bad but look for something else sooner than later " or " Or good choice should work for a while in most age groups. " But apparently I hit everyone on a bad day as i have read mush worse posts on this website and not seen this type of response, so I guess I will chalk this one up as a loser and move on to the next. For those who attempted to help Thank you and sry for being so confusing. For the others I guess it really is the SCABS fault in your case atleast ( HAHA A JOKE dont get your panties in a wad about it )
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Brian, welcome to the world on on-line umpire forums.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am sry for not asking the question. I thought the question was inmplied in the in the statement. I bought the chest protector due to neccesity at the time. I was hoping to hear something in the form of ; " It isnt bad but look for something else sooner than later " or " Or good choice should work for a while in most age groups. " But apparently I hit everyone on a bad day as i have read mush worse posts on this website and not seen this type of response, so I guess I will chalk this one up as a loser and move on to the next. For those who attempted to help Thank you and sry for being so confusing. For the others I guess it really is the SCABS fault in your case atleast ( HAHA A JOKE dont get your panties in a wad about it )
Ask a room full of umpires about equipment and you just might get a room filled with different opinions. My suggestion is buy the best protection you can afford for the level ball you work.

I use the Honigs K1 chest protector for most youth ball but when I'm working games at HS level & above I wear a Wilson Platinum.

Shin guards are Honigs K20's. My backups a Rawlings ULG's. I use them for youth games.

I use a Wilson A3077 mask and have a Honigs mask for my backup.