The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 08:06pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

I just bought a Honig K91, and folks, it's special !
I was lookin' for black and doeskin.
They were out of black.

I had been thinking Royale Blue, but decided that that was more of a fashion statement than I really wanted to make.
The guy talked me into the new Navy. He convinced me that they were becoming a popular item and not just another color.

First time I wore it, my partner thought it was black.
( The color made me smile every 1/2 inning. )
It's my first single-bar, and with the Gerry Davis stance, seeing the plate is like looking through a big ol' picture window.

mick
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
They were out of black.

I had been thinking Royale Blue, but decided that that was more of a fashion statement than I really wanted to make.
The guy talked me into the new Navy. He convinced me that they were becoming a popular item and not just another color.

It's my first single-bar, and with the Gerry Davis stance, seeing the plate is like looking through a big ol' picture window.

mick
I have been using the single bar for several years now and love the view, and the lack of weight. I have a black frame with doeskin pads. I recently bought a Honigs closeout single bar frame in red, with a black harness. I had a spare set of doeskin pads and it looks sharp to me. I use it with the standard blue shirt with red trim, but use my black mask when wearing the powder blue or cream shirt since there is no red in either.

The K91 will bend though if you take a shot off the face of a really hard thrower, but even it does it will still last a long time bent. My black one is about a half inch off center near the chin where I took one this year in a Senior Babe Ruth game.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
They were out of black.

mick
I have been using the single bar for several years now and love the view, and the lack of weight. I have a black frame with doeskin pads. I recently bought a Honigs closeout single bar frame in red, with a black harness. I had a spare set of doeskin pads and it looks sharp to me. I use it with the standard blue shirt with red trim, but use my black mask when wearing the powder blue or cream shirt since there is no red in either.

mick and DG are stylin' fashionistas now.
Could start a show on Bravo "Strait Umpire Eye For the Diamond Guy" (yikes, that was corny).
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 08:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I recently bought a Honigs closeout single bar frame in red, with a black harness. I had a spare set of doeskin pads and it looks sharp to me. I use it with the standard blue shirt with red trim, but use my black mask when wearing the powder blue or cream shirt since there is no red in either.

The K91 will bend though if you take a shot off the face of a really hard thrower, but even it does it will still last a long time bent. My black one is about a half inch off center near the chin where I took one this year in a Senior Babe Ruth game.
Like oatmealqueen said, Buddy, yer absolutely stylin'!
Do you wear a red shirt from time to time ?(like On Sundays )

Yer bold, I'm old.

Don't tell me about my mask gettin' bent. ...Don't like it! Stop!
...Besides with my new stance I'm mostly getting hit on the left forearm again, ...and again, ... and again.
But what a great view! Maybe I can find a black and blue combo.

DG,
What is the best way you've found to clean those doeskins?
Thanks.
mick

Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I recently bought a Honigs closeout single bar frame in red, with a black harness. I had a spare set of doeskin pads and it looks sharp to me. I use it with the standard blue shirt with red trim, but use my black mask when wearing the powder blue or cream shirt since there is no red in either.

Like oatmealqueen said, Buddy, yer absolutely stylin'!
Do you wear a red shirt from time to time ?(like On Sundays )

Yer bold, I'm old.

Don't tell me about my mask gettin' bent. ...Don't like it! Stop!
...Besides with my new stance I'm mostly getting hit on the left forearm again, ...and again, ... and again.
But what a great view! Maybe I can find a black and blue combo.

DG,
What is the best way you've found to clean those doeskins?
Thanks.
mick

Clean doeskins? This is a question I am not familiar with. I just leave mine where it can easily dry after a game. For day games the back seat of the car will be fine, if I leave the pads facing up. For night games I lay the mask and chest protector down in front of a box fan in the garage when I get home. I generally treat my plate shoes and set them down in front of the fan also.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 09:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Clean doeskins? This is a question I am not familiar with. I just leave mine where it can easily dry after a game. For day games the back seat of the car will be fine, if I leave the pads facing up. For night games I lay the mask and chest protector down in front of a box fan in the garage when I get home. I generally treat my plate shoes and set them down in front of the fan also.

Thanks, DG.
mick