The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

AMLU negotiators, MiLB officials and a federal mediator meet in Cincinnati!

With only a half day left in the scheduled talks, is there any word about how things are shaping up?
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB
With only a half day left in the scheduled talks, is there any word about how things are shaping up?

Striking minor league umpires and management settled an unfair labor practice charge filed by the union after resuming bargaining this week following a layoff of 2 1/2 months.

Umpires, who have been on strike since the start of the season, claimed the Professional Umpire Development Corp. threatened to fire employees who went on strike.

"PBUC is required to post a public government notice in every minor league park in the country and mail the notice to all employees, informing the umpires, its employees, that it will honor their rights to engage in union activities, and that it will not threaten striking employees with discharge or other reprisals," the Association of Minor League Umpires said in a statement Thursday.

Management made what it terms its final offer to the union on Jan. 31. Talks resumed with a federal mediator Wednesday in Cincinnati, and the union said there was no progress. Talks continued Thursday.

"We agreed to settle with no admission of wrongdoing," management lawyer George Yund said. "The umpires are on strike over their demands for more money, not because of alleged unfair labor practices."

The unionized umpires want higher pay and per diem. Umps say their salaries average $15,000 at Triple-A, $12,000 at Double-A, $10,000 in full-season A-ball and $5,500 in rookie leagues.

"PBUC is willing to reach a new contract but has proved that it can operate successfully without the strikers," Yund said.

The minor leagues have not identified the replacement umpires who have been working games. Tampa Bay prospect Delmon Young threw a bat that hit a replacement umpire in the chest Wednesday and was suspended indefinitely by the International League on Thursday.

"I'm sure whatever differences remain in our negotiations, the AMLU agrees with PBUC that a player should not intentionally hit an umpire under any circumstances," Yund said
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

AMLU release

For Immediate Release
April 27, 2006

MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL SETTLES
UNFAIR LABOR PRACTICE CHARGES

The Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation (PBUC) has agreed to settle unfair labor practices filed against it by the Association of Minor League Umpires (AMLU) with the National Labor Relations Board. PBUC is the subsidiary of minor league baseball which employs approximately 220 umpires in sixteen minor leagues in the United States and Canada. Under the terms of the settlement, PBUC is required to post a public government notice in every minor league park in the country and mail the notice to all employees, informing the umpires its employees that it will honor their rights to engage in union activities, and that it will not threaten striking employees with discharge or other reprisals, will not withdraw employment opportunities or threaten to demote employees if they fail to agree to PBUC’s contract offer, and will not fail to provide bargaining information requested by AMLU. The NLRB is requiring PBUC to post the notice for 60 days, and will monitor PBUC’s compliance with the terms of the settlement and notice posting.

Minor league umpires have been on strike since the start of the minor league season in protest of PBUC’s unfair labor practices, and to obtain a fair contract. The parties’ first collective bargaining agreement expired November 30, 2005. AMLU and PBUC are resuming negotiations with the assistance of a federal mediation in Cincinnati on Thursday, April 27. No progress was made in negotiations on Wednesday, April 26.

Also Wednesday, a replacement umpire was struck by a bat thrown by Tampa Bay Devil Rays prospect Delmon Young during the first inning of a game between the Durham Bulls and the Pawtucket Red Sox in Pawtucket. The replacement umpire, who was not identified, called Young out on strikes. The incident follows an injury to Norfolk Mets player Victor Diaz after Diaz collided with a replacement umpire who was out of position on a base path.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Is this the big news you were referring to?

Most everyone in the world knew that the AMLU boys are striking for more money and improved benefits. The fact that PBUC intimated that they could be fired was a mistake but doesn't diminish the original issue. The Minor League umpires walked out - most of us have said that - and replacement umpires - most intelligent people use this term - have worked in their stead.

I enjoy the banter but it seems funny that you hung your hat on the idea that progress would be made. PBUC still holds the reins and the AMLU boys are still looking for scraps.

Most of the regular contributors to this board have lng held that the best umpires for that job are not working them. Even yours truly has maintained that the strike is a bad idea and they should continue to work for PBUC. Depsite your insistence, there is little passion for this matter on my end. I just can't belive that a few days ago you proclaimed that a huge step would be taken towards ending this strike. I didn't even see a baby step.

For what it's worth, does anyone recall the horror stories told by 'Minor League' umpires about how they were threatened or intimidated on the field and off. I believe one umpire told of having a player in a dugout fling a ball at him. Now we are hearing the bat story like it is only relevant to replacement umpires. The pinhead who launched it is the weak link here, not the other way around.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, right...that's apples to apples.

C'mon W, you're better than that!

D
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

I deleted the post about the Indoor Football being fired because it's humor wore thin. Apologies to the masses...

Last edited by WhatWuzThatBlue; Fri Apr 28, 2006 at 06:36pm.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
soon. very soon.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

soon. very soon...

What - it'll be time to lie about another replacement umpire?
- time to post the name of another replacement umpire with photo?
- time to lock down the most slanderous part of the website?
- time to humiliate another official for just doing his job?

You aren't fooling anyone. When this issue is settled, you will have lost many friends and admirers. Lots of us thought that some of you were fine examples of dedication to the game. The very thought of asking you to speak in front of an impressionable group makes me nauseous. Pre-strike you asked for all umpires to unite and support those who do a thankless job. Now, you stab, smear and slander any guy that accepted those assignments. It doesn't matter to you if that guy makes $15,000 a year (not for a 5 month season, supplemented by additional income), you call him names and hold him up for ridicule. Your hypocrisy is disgusting...accept the offer and work the games in return for a chance at glory. If you wash out, you'll be like every struggling artist, musician or athlete. Some of us cleared the way so that the likes of you could hold our amazing past time hostage. I'm so embarrassed by the actions of the AMLU.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 12:14pm
In Memoriam

According to the Detroit News, the mediator brokered an agreement and the strike is effectively over.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...template=front.

The story is on the top-right under "AP Headlines".
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Smile 6 Year Deal?

Salary and per diem are the primary issues.

But I want details. Give me details. \ ... /

Last edited by SAump; Fri Apr 28, 2006 at 12:23pm.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Details? You want details? How about this...the current offer is almost exactly the same as the old one. If they take the offer, they're freaking nuts...the board has advised them to take the offer...so tell me...what in the world did they strike for?

A very disappointed ex-MiLB umpire
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Are you serious? They went through all this to gain nothing except the knowledge that it is going to be PBUC's way or the highway! They already knew that. And a six year deal? I was told that was one of the major sticking points, I guess not. My question to the AMLU, how does this make it better for guys in the future? You guys said it wasn't about you, you didn't care about your jobs, and you just wanted to help MiLB umpires down the road. That is bull****! And you call the replacements "SCABS". Who is stopping the bleeding now, you stinking hypocrites?
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatballzlow
Details? You want details? How about this...the current offer is almost exactly the same as the old one. If they take the offer, they're freaking nuts...the board has advised them to take the offer...so tell me...what in the world did they strike for?

A very disappointed ex-MiLB umpire
MORE DETAILS:

The offer was not as good as the one they turned down before the season. Thert were offered an increase in per diem to $35 over the next six years (incrementally). The current offer is to raise per diem to $34 over the next six years, but with $1 more this year. I think i remember someone saying that they were striking to "make it better for the umpires who come behind us." Well, it appears that is not the case, they got more for themselves right now, and less for the guys who will be there in six years. Kinda sounds like "All for one....one for ME RIGHT NOW!" In a nutshell, a one month strike cost these guys (and gal) one month of pay and in return they recieved $160in additional per diem money. I am not an accountant, but that doesn't seem like a very good investment to me.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

MORE DETAILS:

Don't be fooled into believing that the AMLU has accepted this deal! The press releases are stating that minor league baseball has a six year deal accepted by the AMLU. That is not true, simply not true. The membership will have to vote on this issue this weekend, and from what I've already heard, don't expect them to vote in the affirmative.

If they do, I hope that they never need to strike again, because PBUC will laugh them right off the face of the earth. If they turn it down, they're still on an even playing field...for now...
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 01:37pm

That's what happens when you keep knocking out the high dollar amounts in those briefcases. The offer from the bank goes down. Deal or no deal?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25