The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Any summer ball in San Antonio?

Hey all,
I just moved to San Antonio last month. I've worked 4 years in Alabama and 2 years in DODS ball in Europe. I got here too late to get in on the NFHS season, but is there summer ball played here? If so, anybody have a POC I can get in touch with?

Thanks!
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Well.....

There's one member here from that area that I'm sure will help you *RISE* up through the ranks in some of the youth leagues there. He'll get you games so fast it'll make your head *SPIN.* You'll no doubt find that he'll make umpiring in San Antonio a very *UP LIFTING* experience.

Tim.

Sorry, it's sort of an inside joke. There is a member of this board who can probably help you out. Just don't debate physics with him!

Last edited by BigUmp56; Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 02:44pm.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to milkmandog Send a message via Yahoo to milkmandog
I can get you some PONY games right now and give you the numbers for the TASO president there will be some summer high school ball
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Milkman, that's awesome. It'll be a few weeks before I can start working, I just moved here from Belgium and all my household goods are still on the way, plus I'm closing on a house tomorrow and that'll keep me busy for a while until I get settled in.

If you can give me some contact info that'd be great, I'd like to go ahead and start coming to some meetings if they have 'em regularly.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Where?

Local Little Leagues play until June. Call local District 19 to discuss which league plays in your area. Good news in SA is if local league doesn't fill your schedule with 2 ballgames a day M-F and 5 on SAT, then go to other nearby leagues to fill up to capacity. Find the best teams and talk to COACHES, and they will know how to get you in contact with local SELECT leagues. The local ADULT umps can also provide info on HS and select summer and fall baseball. The District 19 umpires hold clinics in JAN/FEB/MAR across SA and those individuals (one in particular) are AWESOME, the best in the area at any level (NCAA and PRO ballers included). LL PAY every 2 weeks. Local CYO leagues also exist.

http://www.salittleleague.org/

Two main HS ump groups are TASO for HS Varsity and some JV. Good luck, and believe half of what you hear there (Every person I talked to thought he was the greatest). Those who don't like the politics or don't get JIGGY with the BS training from JOE SMITTIE prefer HS JV with another group.

http://www.southtexasumpireclinic.com/

They hold a clinic the week before the Superbowl and baseball season begins the week after it. A very good value comparable to PRO school. JV season is drawing to an end but SA ISD will have a JUNE M-T league. I prefer this smaller group because you can get all the games you want w/out the politics. HINT: There are not enough UMPS to cover all the baseball. You may work games with partners or w/out. Must keep HS schedule because payday is 1 to 2 months later. I have never had a problem I couldn't contact somebody to resolve for me. Folks are great.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Apr 26, 2006 at 09:58pm.