The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Pirates @ Astros -- Garner Ejection

9 minutes into the PGH/HOU game tonight, Houston pitcher throws a 1-2 pitch to Craig Wilson, close to the inside corner, Rick Reed called it a ball. The Astros pitcher stared Reed down and must have said something, because next thing you know, Reed rips off his mask, runs out to the mound, says something to the pitcher, and jogs back. Phil Garner met him at the plate, and after a somewhat lengthy converstion, got dumped.

Would anyone ever consider running out to the mound to say something to the pitcher if he said something to you about a pitch? For anyone who saw this, thoughts?

I have to opinions about this...(1) Reed should not have run out to the mound to say something. If he has a problem w/ the pitcher, either dump him if needed, or maybe give him a little stare from the plate so he gets the idea, but no need to actually run out to the mound. (2) If I was Garner, I would have done exactly the same thing and stuck up for my starter.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Stare from the plate?

... The Astros pitcher stared Reed down and must have said something, ...

I've had kids do this to me in the past, and I can honestly say that I have not and would never run out to the mound to say anyting to the pitcher in this sit. I have quitely told F2 to call time and go out there and tell F1 to cool it before I toss him. This has seemed to work well for me.

As for the coach, I would expect this out of any good rat, err I mean coach.
He started the pitcher for a reason, I'm sure he doesn't want to deal with warming up a sub so early.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbump82
... [I] I have quietly told F2 to call time and go out there and tell F1 to cool it before I toss him. This has seemed to work well for me.
Ditto for me. I let the catcher deal with his pitcher in cases like this.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Rick has been around while and he can get away with handling things this way.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Lawson
Rick has been around while and he can get away with handling things this way.
I agree. Long time MLB veterans are allowed to get away with doing such stupid things.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

If that pitcher who has been around a couple of year want to act like that toward an umpire thats been in the big leagues long than he has been alive, then that is how he is going to get treated. Rick and a couple of others don't get talk to like that. They have earned it.

Clint
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Lawson
If that pitcher who has been around a couple of year want to act like that toward an umpire thats been in the big leagues long than he has been alive, then that is how he is going to get treated. Rick and a couple of others don't get talk to like that. They have earned it.

Clint
Then why not just dump him, Clint? Is it really necessary to show up the pitcher in that sort of manner?
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

In pro baseball, as an umpire you earn respect from the player. Rick has bee around so long and is one of the best umpires in the game. Weather Rick was right or worng on the pitch the best thing for that pitcher to do is get his *** right back up on that mound. Because he is going to get yelled at. If you let one pitcher stare u down or say something, now you have to let everybody. Then the game gets out of control. That is just how the pro game is. I would have done the same thing. Maybe even baited the pitcher into running himself. The catcher should have taken care of the pitcher on his own. But I'm sure that pitcher learned a good lessen.