The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

During the last two weeks:

If any of you have followed my "I have never done . . . " threads the following have happened to me:

To Rich Ives:

I had the plate of a game that was 22-1. That spoils my record of never having had a game where a team scored over 20 runs. First time is 3,783 games.

To Carl Childress:

Had the plate with a checked/unchecked swing situation:

Tee: "BALL, no he he did not go, he did not go!"

To All Rats:

I had the opportunity for long time officiating.com writer/poster "CoachJM" to attend a game where I was umpiring and afterwards have a great dinner conversation about baseball, umpiring and coaching.

It a very nice evening.

To All "I'll make my own calls, thank you" umpires:

While working a game last week as BU I was in "C". Squibber pushed up the first base line betwix the foul line, the pitcher's mound, etc.

Pitcher comes over, first baseman comes in and runner enters the picture . . . ball is scooped by the pitcher and flipped to F3 . . . runner kinda sorta slides towards the first base dug out and F3 makes a sweep tag.

During this I had moved over to "B" from my original "C". I have also adjusted twice to increase the angle between F3 and the batter-runner. I set to make my final call and I get straight lined as the F3 steps directly into my line while making the "tag."

Tee: (To my plate guy) "John, do you have a tag?" John gives me the closed fist, belt high in front of his belt buckel for all to see.

Tee: "He's OUT, on the tag, on the tag!"

First time I have asked for help in, well the same 3,783 games.

To All Blue Light Shoppers:

For the first time in my life I entered and purchased a few items at "Wal-Mart". As this decision violated my last great stand in America (I could do a column on my disgust with Mall-Wart and the American dream as we have seen it for decades) I thought it worth reporting.

So there you have my admissions that a few things have happened the last two weeks that surprise even this old hide, hard nosed, umpire from the past.

Regards,
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Tee, did JM use a knife and fork? I have heard that some "rats" tend to be socially challenged. HAHAHA!!

( For all those about to come unhinged, this is all entirely "tongue in cheek")

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, Tee. What's next, cats sleeping with dogs?
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 03:39pm

Tee,

So, rumours that you are human after all are true I see.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hell Tee, even MLB teans score 20 once in awhile so don't feel too bad ;-)

Glad you had a good time with JM. People need to realize that coaches are just baseball people who are just coming from a different perspective/job at a game. While it may not appear so at times, it's really nothing personal when stuff happens.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Glad to see that you and your partner worked together to get the call (tag play) correct, there Tee.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Tee,

Did you try the helmet yet?
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
If any of you have followed my "I have never done . . . " threads the following have happened to me:

To All Rats:

I had the opportunity for long time officiating.com writer/poster "CoachJM" to attend a game where I was umpiring and afterwards have a great dinner conversation about baseball, umpiring and coaching.

It a very nice evening.

While Tim may be somewhat "terse" in his posts on this board at times, he couldn't have been a more gracious host to this particular rat during my recent visit to Portland.

In regard to the game, I would say the officiating was of a markedly higher caliber than the play (not to mention the coaching, lah me).

After the game, Tim was pretty self-critical of his strike zone during the later innings. Personally, I saw exactly ONE pitch that I would have had an issue with had I been coaching in the game.

And, on the two plays when the BU went "out" on fly balls to the right/center gap, I've never seen a PU (that would be TEE in this case) exhibit better hustle in getting out to the working area for the possible impending play at 2B.

All in all, a most enjoyable evening; my only regret is that we didn't have more time for conversation after the game (due to my early flight the next morning).

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Sun Apr 16, 2006 at 10:10pm.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
While Tim may be somewhat "terse" in his posts on this board at times, he couldn't have been a more gracious host to this particular rat during my recent visit to Portland.

In regard to the game, I would say the officiating was of a markedly higher caliber than the play (not to mention the coaching, lah me).

After the game, Tim was pretty self-critical of his strike zone during the later innings. Personally, I saw exactly ONE pitch that I would have had an issue with had I been coaching in the game.

And, on the two plays when the BU went "out" on fly balls to the right/center gap, I've never seen a PU (that would be TEE in this case) exhibit better hustle in getting out to the working area for the possible impending play at 2B.

All in all, a most enjoyable evening; my only regret is that we didn't have more time for conversation after the game (due to my early flight the next morning).

JM
You would find that being self-critical like this is a characteristic of all really good umpires.

I visited with Tee on my last trip to Portland, and he is a most gracious host. We've lost our customer out there, so I haven't had an opportunity for a return visit, but I'll get back.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

*waits anxiously for the patent-leather ball bag report*
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

To Carl Childress:

Had the plate with a checked/unchecked swing situation:

Tee: "BALL, no he he did not go, he did not go!"

Regards,
Wow, that makes me feel better. Bet you didn't get any grief from any coaches or players on that call either.

It is amazing the things that happen in baseball sometimes - went to our local NCAA game this weekend and final score 24-7.

Long night for the home team and I felt sorry for the umpires.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

For the first time in my life I entered and purchased a few items at "Wal-Mart".

For what? New umpire pants?
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 01:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
For the first time in my life I entered and purchased a few items at "Wal-Mart".

For what? New umpire pants?
Wal-Mart has a great selection of larger sizes in colored T-Shirts. I get my black T-shirts, red T-shirts, and navy T-shirts in 3XL there. Good underwear selection as well.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25