The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Just got back from a trip to Disney World with my family. I didn't touch a computer while I was there. GREAT FUN!
My trip to Disney caused me to postpone my question; thus, I am a week or two late. I am supposed to post on Saturday, but that day doesn't work well for me so I am posting a day early. Enough of my rambling excuses.....

1/10 from A's 20 yard line. A1 runs to A's 25 where he is tackled and injured. The clock (a) reads 30 seconds remaining in the 1st quarter (b) expires for the 1st quarter (c) expires for the first half. After the officials have stopped the clock for the injury, the coach requests a timeout. He then tries to send A1 back into the game. Ruling?

Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
In (a), the clock was stopped for the injury. The coach can't use a TO to 'buy' his player back in.

I believe in (b) that the player could return if his injury could be treated in the time between periods. If the player is on the field at the Ready for Play I'd let it go.

In (c) the player can return at the start of the second half.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

In a and b he MUST sit out for a play. In c he can return for the 1st play (the kickoff) of the 3rd quarter.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Mike...seems like only we NJ guys are answering !?!?!
I'm with ljudge on this one: for (a) and (b), he's got to sit out one play regardless of the TO; in (c) he may return for the first play of the third quarter.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Mike...seems like only we NJ guys are answering !?!?!
Maybe it's a time zone thing. It's still early over on the left coast.

In (b), I'm thinking it may come down to when you realize the player is injured. If you had already taken an official TO for the end of the period and then noticed that a player was injured I think you let him come out for the beginning of the next period. On the other hand, if I see that he's hurt before the official TO, I make him sit a play.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Walt...look at (somewhere in) NF 3-5. I'm sure it explicitly says that the only time an injured player is exempted from sitting out a play is when halftime or an overtime intermission intervenes. THe end of the 1st or 3rd quarters does not figure into the decision.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Bob, we're in agreement on that point. If he's hurt he must sit the next play.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

But if you did not stop the clock or delay the next quarter for his injury (which is how I'm reading B), he doesn't have to sit. This guy is no different from any other player on the field in this case.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:52am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
1/10 from A's 20 yard line. A1 runs to A's 25 where he is tackled and injured. The clock (a) reads 30 seconds remaining in the 1st quarter (b) expires for the 1st quarter (c) expires for the first half. After the officials have stopped the clock for the injury, the coach requests a timeout. He then tries to send A1 back into the game. Ruling?

(a & b) player must sit out a play. If does get in there some how..it's illegal participation.

(c) the play can play the next after half...
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 12:01pm
tpaul

NF 3-5-10

NFHS 3-5-ART. 10 . . . A time-out occurs when:

a. An apparently injured player is discovered by the official while the ball is dead and the clock is stopped and for whom the ready-for-play signal is delayed, or for whom the clock is stopped. The player shall be replaced for at least one down, unless the halftime or an overtime intermission occurs. This time-out, if not charged, is an official's time-out.
b. An apparently unconscious player is determined by the game officials. The player may not return to play in the game without written authorization from a physician (M.D./D.O.). This time-out, if not charged, is an official's time-out.

c. The official discovers a player who is apparently bleeding, or has an open wound, or has an excessive amount of blood on his uniform. Such player shall be considered an injured player as in Article 10a (See Communicable Disease Procedure).
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
But if you did not stop the clock or delay the next quarter for his injury (which is how I'm reading B), he doesn't have to sit. This guy is no different from any other player on the field in this case.
REPLY: Agreed...
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
REPLY: Agreed...
I was thinking along these lines earlier. I was thinking more of blood or a player limping to the sideline, rather than a serious injury requiring extended medical attention.