The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

The difference is the ball is live when it goes to the backstop, so if the catcher does not go get it the batter will just keep advancing. But it's dead when the on deck batter picks it up. If batter has not reached 1B yet he is still entitled to it.

The problem with calling an out when the on deck batter picks up the loose ball is there is no basis to make this call. You are making things up, and if your mission is to get out of Dodge quicker you can be gone in half an hour if you just keep making up your own rules. This is not about speeding up the game, it's about getting calls right.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...
I'm enjoying not having to read his posts anymore, as he is the charter member of my ignore list. I got tired of leading him to water.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I'm enjoying not having to read his posts anymore, as he is the charter member of my ignore list. I got tired of leading him to water.
Thanks for the reminder! Mine too!

BIG'S BLOG
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Do the Christian thing and read FED rule 5-1-1-e. See if the Bible tells you so.
All 5-1-1-3 says is the ball is dead. I said that already. But it is dead with no penalty, as there is no play on a batter who just took ball 4.

By the way guys, I am not posting for PWL's benefit but for the benefit of anyone else who may be reading and looking for guidance. He doesn't need any because he is making up his own rules.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answers although there seems to be a difference of opinion. I would like to look at some resouces that have been mentioned, but I don't know what they are. What is J/R and FED?
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

No, Smiley, there is no difference of opinion. If you've been around at all, you will already know that PWL states perfectly inaccurate answers as often as possible, just trying to stir the pot. If everyone but him is saying one thing, and he is saying another, please don't misconstrue this as a difference of opinion.

You seem to be concerned that there be some sort of penalty for the infraction by the ODB. If you must have one to justify the non-out in your mind, think of it this way. ODB has deprived his team of any chance of a further advance past first base or any subsequent miscue by the defense.

I will answer no further, PWL, unless you can quote me a rule that supports calling an out for this specific situation... and then I will probably still stay on ignore. My bad for making the mistake of replying to your nonsense. I know better.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
No, Smiley, there is no difference of opinion. If you've been around at all, you will already know that PWL states perfectly inaccurate answers as often as possible, just trying to stir the pot. If everyone but him is saying one thing, and he is saying another, please don't misconstrue this as a difference of opinion.
I'm still undecided, Mike. I'm not sure whether or not he's been doing this to stirt the pot or if he's just that incompetent.

Tim.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by :=)
In our game, a batter walked. On the 4th ball, it got past the catcher. On his way to the plate, our on-deck hitter picked up the passed ball and flipped it to the catcher. The umpire called him out for interference.

How does this get scored? Does the guy who picked up the ball get charged w/an AB? Where may I read about the rule(s) that would cover this play?

Thanks.
In OBR, I'd call this "intentional interference by a person authorized to be on the field." The penalty is "whatever the umpire wants" (no, that's not a direct quote). Without being there, I'd probably choose BR to first, dead ball, all other runners return unless forced.

I don't think FED has this kind of "interference", but I'd look to make the same ruling.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 03:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by :=)
Thanks for the answers although there seems to be a difference of opinion. I would like to look at some resouces that have been mentioned, but I don't know what they are. What is J/R and FED?
The J/R stands for the Jaska/Roder Umpiring Manual, an authoritative opinion and commentary.

http://www.rulesofbaseball.com/index.html#checklist

FED stand for National Federation of State High School Associations, which makes up a different set of rules, just for High School, and any leagues which wish to adopt them.

And, there is no out in this situation. Just kill the ball and stop the runner at first base.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25