The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

how do you score the following: in a high school game, the coach crossed up the players numbers on the 5th & 6th batters on the score card, correct names, just wrong jersey numbers. the 5 hole batter hit a single, opposing coach protested an out of order batter. umpire called third out and inning was over. who gets the out in this situation, the 5 hole batter or the 6 hole batter. fyi---in the next inning the 6 hole batter came up first, and for the rest of the game they kept the batting order as submitted, if appears that the umpire just let the players numbers be changed to the correct individual. how is this scored???
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

If the 6th batter bats in place of the 5th batter, the 5th batter should be called out. When the next inning comes around the 7th batter should be up. Think of it this way, if the 5th batter is out, and the 6th batter was the last batter the previous inning, logical thinking would say the 7th batter is up.

But I would not have called anyone out in the first place. I believe the purpose of the lineup card is to list the batting order. This is done by writing the players names on the card. The numbers are just secondary, they just aid in identifying the players. The only reason you would call an out going by their jersey numbers is if there are two players on the team with the same name.

Something like this happned to the Inidans not too long ago. I think they had two guys name Ramirez or something. One of them was listed as the DH, and he played the field. So the DH was cancled for the game, and the pitcher had to bat.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

The batting order is the NAMES of the batters. Numbers are there for convenience only. If the batters hit in the order that their NAMES appear then there is no violation.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
If the 6th batter bats in place of the 5th batter, the 5th batter should be called out. When the next inning comes around the 7th batter should be up. Think of it this way, if the 5th batter is out, and the 6th batter was the last batter the previous inning, logical thinking would say the 7th batter is up.

Rich and LDUB are correct about the names, but if the 5th batter is declared out for the 3rd out, the the lead off batter the next inning would be batter #6. The same would apply if it was out 1 or 2.

If B6 bats in B5's place, then B5 is out and the next batter would be B6 again.

Roger Greene
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I was wrong before. My answer would have been correct if no one had appealed the batting out of order though.

NFHS rule 7-1-1b

When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before the first legal or illegal pitch, or, play or attempted play, or prior to an intentional base on balls or before the infielders leave the diamond if a half-inning is ending, the umpire shall declare the proper batter out and return all runners to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.

So R1 at second R2 at first. The improper batter is at bat. He singles, and everyone advances one base. Now the opposing team appeals that he was not the proper batter. The proper batter is called out, but how do you return the runners to their bases they were at at the time of the pitch. R2 can not return to first because the improper batter is standing there. Does the improper batter just disappear from first base?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

The improper batter is removed from the base. His bat did not "occur". The only notation in the scorebook is that the proper batter is out for failing to bat in his turn, and the next bater is the batter whose name follows the batter who was called out for failing to bat.

The only execption to this would be if so many batters had batted out of order, and the batter whose name followed that of the batter who was called out for failing to bat in his proper turn was on base, then he is skipped and the batter after him would bat. He would lose his turn this trip through the batting order. (This is nearly a third world play, so most umpires should never need to apply the execption.)

Roger Greene
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
The improper batter is removed from the base. His bat did not "occur". The only notation in the scorebook is that the proper batter is out for failing to bat in his turn, and the next bater is the batter whose name follows the batter who was called out for failing to bat.
So if B6 bats for B5, and B6 gets a hit. If it is appealed, B5 is out at B6 would be up to bat again? I think that is correct but I'm not sure.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
So if B6 bats for B5, and B6 gets a hit. If it is appealed, B5 is out at B6 would be up to bat again? I think that is correct but I'm not sure.
YES.

Roger