Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
NCAA Div 1 Umpires

All of the recent bickering and discussion about how competent the Div 1 umpires are in comparison to the MiLb umpires really convinced me to watch them closely this past week.

I had the occasion this last weekend to take my son to three Notre Dame -vs- Pittsburg games here in South Bend. Then yesterday and again this evening we saw a different crew. I have to say that during all of these games the quality of umpiring was superb. These guys busted their asses out there on every play, worked extremely well as a team, and were in complete control of any sticky situation that arose.

Now, we only have an MiLB single A team here in town so I can't say much for how the games are officiated at AA or AAA when compared. However, I go to upwards of 20 games a season here and always watch the umpires. I have to say that the NCAA crews I saw this week were more than qualified to work these single A games. In fact I would say they were even better than some of the MiLB umpires I've watched over the years here.

What I'm getting at is if this is indicative of how these games are going to be covered then I don't see how the AMLU can hang their hat on management wanting to get better umpires back. In my opinion there isn't the huge disparity that's been suggested on this forum. I'm hoping Sal Giaco will chime in here because I would imagine he works with some of the guys I'm referring to.

Tim.