The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
NCAA Div 1 Umpires

All of the recent bickering and discussion about how competent the Div 1 umpires are in comparison to the MiLb umpires really convinced me to watch them closely this past week.

I had the occasion this last weekend to take my son to three Notre Dame -vs- Pittsburg games here in South Bend. Then yesterday and again this evening we saw a different crew. I have to say that during all of these games the quality of umpiring was superb. These guys busted their asses out there on every play, worked extremely well as a team, and were in complete control of any sticky situation that arose.

Now, we only have an MiLB single A team here in town so I can't say much for how the games are officiated at AA or AAA when compared. However, I go to upwards of 20 games a season here and always watch the umpires. I have to say that the NCAA crews I saw this week were more than qualified to work these single A games. In fact I would say they were even better than some of the MiLB umpires I've watched over the years here.

What I'm getting at is if this is indicative of how these games are going to be covered then I don't see how the AMLU can hang their hat on management wanting to get better umpires back. In my opinion there isn't the huge disparity that's been suggested on this forum. I'm hoping Sal Giaco will chime in here because I would imagine he works with some of the guys I'm referring to.

Tim.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Like I said in another post you don't get to be a D1 ump unless your the cream of the crop! I've been umping now consistently for several years and next year will be my 1st year @ the college level I found out today. I'll start NAIA & JuCo & see how I do after that.

BIG'S BLOG
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

I personally work with five of the six umpires that worked the Pitt/ND series and last night's crew (both used 3 man system). Two of the six were in the game before including one who was in AAA and has recently worked the college world series. Three out of the other four are very experienced D1 college umpires that work in the Big Ten, Big East and the Valley. They've probably forgotten more than I learned in this business.

With that said, there is one important fact that's being left out. THEY ALL HAVE REFUSED TO CROSS THE LINES TO WORK MiLB GAMES! Almost all D1 umpires in Michigan and Indiana, (where 5 out of those 6 umpires are from), have unamiously decided to not take games.

So yes, while there are NCAA D1 umpires qualified to work fill in games, especially at the A and AA levels, the problem is there are few that will actually take the games. We have taken a firm stand here in our area to support our fellow brethern and I encourage you to do the same. Just my/our opinion.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 09:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Sal,

I have a perfect explanation for why those umpires probably came to that conclusion. Many of those umpires know that if they make such a move it might negatively affect their career. No of us live in a bubble and are not affected by the decisions that are made and where we all choose to work. Also a lot of these guys know what the system they work in is better than what the MiLB guys are working under. I am sure there are many that have deep seated convictions on this situation, but self-preservation is a strong motivation.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Perfect explanation for probably.......

Doesn't compute.

Tim.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Don't these umps get paid a lot more for NCAA D-1 games than they would make as a MiLB umpire?
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Don't these umps get paid a lot more for NCAA D-1 games than they would make as a MiLB umpire?
In many cases, Yes.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
I have read everyone's posts and a question has come to mind. I understand the loyalty one would want to show toward the MiLB, BUT, when an MiLB guy gets fired or quits the pro's, isn't he going to take some of the college guys games who refused to cross the line?

Please understand, this situation does not effect me, I'm just someone looking in from the outside.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Sal,

There are a few D-1 guys that will work tonight, and there are even a few ex-pro guys that will work tonight as well, some that were even released this past off-season. I think the original point was that there are enough guys out there that can get the job done. How well, remains to be seen.

JRut,

You are absolutly correct, that most guys that aren't working are doing so, so that they can sustain their more lucrative NCAA careers.

Jiggy,

You are correct, the next 2-4 weeks will be very telling.

To all,
No matter what side of the fence you are on, what will you do if the current minor league system crumbles? I have had 3 different league presidents call me and ask me to work, and I have told all 3 that I would not cross the strike line, and they all understood why, but each followed up with what if the system were to change? What if we started the system from scratch and the leagues were responsible for hiring their guys? What if after a couple of weeks, PBUC was something new altogether? I said, I don't know what I would do. But the truth is a lot of D1 guys and a lot of ex-pro guys are waiting for something like that to happen. That would be the best of both worlds, to have a secure job and be at home with family and friends, and work games that are within driving distance of where you live when you wanted to. With pay ranging from $120-$225 per game. What would you do if May 1, the AMLU and PBUC were no closer to settling and PBUC said by the way, it is a new day in MiLB baseball?
I will not cross as long as there is a strike, but I know a lot of guys, including my self that will gladly embrace a new system.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine27
I have read everyone's posts and a question has come to mind. I understand the loyalty one would want to show toward the MiLB, BUT, when an MiLB guy gets fired or quits the pro's, isn't he going to take some of the college guys games who refused to cross the line?

Please understand, this situation does not effect me, I'm just someone looking in from the outside.
Kraine,

Two main things are keeping guys that could work from crossing, either they were in the game or grew up with guys that are in now and they don't want to hurt their friends, or it might hurt a guys D1 all the way down to juco career to cross. JRut said it, self-preservation.