Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

In the original sitch, the Pu and Bu saw it differently...Hmmmm
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Tim,

Agreed, camps/clinics/books say the call belongs to the BU ... and the sacrafice/compromise thing is always gonna be there, huh?

Speaking of what camps/clinics say ...

In a recent 3-man camp, they were teaching U3 to set up in B with R1 (except for a Lefty, to set up in C for the check-swing help), to get a better look at the swipe tag on a steal attempt. I've been using it this season, and really dig it. Our set-up looks like we're overloading the right side of the field, but it's a really good look from the B.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u
In the original sitch, the Pu and Bu saw it differently...Hmmmm
Yes, and the PU correctly assumed the blame for the fiasco, because it was not his call to make. The BU had pumped the ball fair, and the PU had no business overruling the call. If the BU made no call, and looked to the PU with that blank stare (signifying having no clue), then the PU could and should make the call for him. But once the BU made the call, that is the call that should stand.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

But, the point is, they did not see the same thing and I guarantee the PU had a better look.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:26pm

I think I have a better look at the strike zone from B or C, but I don't change my plate umpire's call when I think he missed one.

If the BU was screened out, he should not have guessed his call. He should have looked to the PU for a call in this case. All I'm saying is that you can't go around overruling your partners' calls. It looks horsesh*t.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

That's why I get it straight in the pregame, and get it right on the field. I don't care who gets the glory, I just make sure we get the call right.

In the original sitch, if I'm PU, it's mine. Had it been a line drive over the bag, it's the BU's. Pretty simple, and, by the book.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
That's why I get it straight in the pregame, and get it right on the field. I don't care who gets the glory, I just make sure we get the call right.

In the original sitch, if I'm PU, it's mine. Had it been a line drive over the bag, it's the BU's. Pretty simple, and, by the book.
Well, no that's not by the book. This is by the book.

U1 coverage:

Fair or foul calls. Rule fair or foul on any batted ball that is played on or comes to rest in front of the front edge of the base down the first-base line with U2 in position A and down the third-base line with U3 in position D. If either U2 or U3 is in the infield, rule fair or foul all the way to the foul pole on the exposed side.

U2 coverage:

Fair or foul calls. Rule fair or foul on ground balls down the first-base line from the front of the bag to the foul pole, especially on balls bounding over the bag, and on fly balls from the bag to the foul pole if in position A.

U3 coverage:

Fair or foul calls. Rule fair or foul on ground balls down the third-base line from the front of the bag to the foul pole, especially on balls bounding over the bag, and on fly balls from the bag to the foul pole if in position D.

Tim.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 04:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Who has a better look, a BU moving to avoid being hit by the ball, or the PU standing still straddling the line.

I'll take that call.
Not if you're working with me, you won't. The published mechanics are quite clear on this. Would you like me calling pitches from the middle of the infield?
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

If I am PU I am 94 feet or so away from a ball going away from me, and you are 20 feet from it coming at you. It's your call, when it breaks that plane of the front of the bag, and I go over this in pre-game, every time. Position yourself at least 10 feet farther back than F3, and there is no way he can move fast enough to block your vision of a screamer over the bag.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I think its an easier call for PU to see the plane the ball is on, but easier for the BU to see where the ball is in regard to distance from the bag (before, over it, or past it). Its just very hard to keep your eyes looking right down that line like the PU when you are skipping and hopping to your left. Thats the point that is being made here, that the PU has a better look at that aspect of fair/foul. I understand that the BU has a better look at before/past the bag. If only we could combine the two.

I know mechanics say BU's call, so I'll stick with what has been studied and proven to work the most. I understand both sides. Would be nice to have some sort of point to the PU like on a pulled foot or a swipe tag at first, but there is no time for that unfortunately. I say BU makes the call, and you go with that, unless he is being screened by F3. Then he should just glance and give a point to the PU, because he has no clue what happened.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

If I am BU, F3 can not block my view of a screamer, or even a slow one or two hopper, if it's my job to see it. I ain't pointing to PU to make MY call.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
DG- do you point at PU if you aren't sure of a swipe tag or a pulled foot.

Check your ego at your car, its all about getting it a) right and b) right the first time. Don't guess. If you miss it, point. I agree you shouldn't be missing it, but things happen.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 12:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
I think its an easier call for PU to see the plane the ball is on, but easier for the BU to see where the ball is in regard to distance from the bag (before, over it, or past it). Its just very hard to keep your eyes looking right down that line like the PU when you are skipping and hopping to your left. Thats the point that is being made here, that the PU has a better look at that aspect of fair/foul. I understand that the BU has a better look at before/past the bag. If only we could combine the two.

I know mechanics say BU's call, so I'll stick with what has been studied and proven to work the most. I understand both sides. Would be nice to have some sort of point to the PU like on a pulled foot or a swipe tag at first, but there is no time for that unfortunately. I say BU makes the call, and you go with that, unless he is being screened by F3. Then he should just glance and give a point to the PU, because he has no clue what happened.
I have had some absolute rockets hit in my direction, by some guys who can absolutely rake, and I still don't move until that ball passes the base and I've determined whether or not it's fair or foul. You can't be busy skipping and hopping, and get your call at the same time. Hang in there that extra fraction of a second, then you can signal fair or call and signal foul on the move while you dodge the ball. On line drives hit at you, you can still move out of the way and watch where the ball lands and get the call right.

As PWL knows, I "jelled" on this call one time. It never happened a second time.