View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Are you saying it is faster to call 911 in every locality? Are you saying no one will respond if you use the locally published emergency number other than 911? Are you saying in every locality has 911? Who do you call if the 911 system is down (it does happen)? I don't know the answer, but what about locations where only analog cell is working/available?

Sure, if you cannot speak, call 911 and hope someone figures out where you are in a timely fashion. If you can speak and know your location, call whatever number gets the fastest response. That is why checking the local phone book, or calling the non-emergency number during business hours for the latest and best information is a good idea.

At a BB field, the non-emergency number is probably more likely to be needed than a number calling for code 3 type responses. I am of the opinion that it is not a code 3 emergency for many broken bones, sprains, crowd control (some cases excepted), and so on. Of course it always puzzles me when I hear someone got knocked in the head, is nauseous and/or sleepy, and mom & dad drive the player to the hospital at their leisure - when head injuries are "911" worthy.

I used to race karts at an out of the way location - a hobby that can involve life threatening injuries. The one time I needed to make an emergency call, I was lucky enough to have a LL available. Triagulating a location based on a cell phone might help, but there is a motocross course "next door", so which track to they check out first?

More than anything, think about what you would do - in advance.

Whether or not you agree with my methods/opinions, the goal is reached if you have given this some thought.