The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Has it started? Who is working if it did?
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

my college played the pirates minor leaguers this past friday, so things are going on down there.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

The Tigers (Lakeland FL) contacted a locally well known assigner/college/HS umpire to book the minor league spring games. It's a combo of experienced HS and small college officials.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

You can find all kinds of things on the web:
"Friday, March 24, 2006
Associated Press

Minor league umpires plan to strike when the season starts next month and filed an unfair labor practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board.

The Association of Minor League Umpires, which represents about 220 umps in 16 leagues, said it filed the charge in the NRLB's Florida region, alleging the Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation threatened to fire employees who went on strike and asked several of the unionized umps to work as replacements during any strike.

Minor league umpires unionized in 2000.

"A strike is a serious step and it's not what we wanted to do," union president Andy Roberts said in a statement Friday, "but reports of league officials talking about firing umpires who strike has backed us into a corner. The AMLU has to take a stand against PBUC's heavy-handed tactics."

George Yund, management's lawyer, did not return a telephone message seeking comment.

The union said management told the union in February that it thought talks had reached impasse and that it would implement its last offer when the season started. The union's last proposal, made March 10, was rejected by management three days later.

Umps say their salaries average $15,000 at Triple-A, $12,000 at Double-A, $10,000 in full-season A-ball and $5,500 in rookie leagues. Yund earlier this month likened minor league umpiring to an educational program rather than a lifetime career.

The union said it would not supply replacement umps to the major leagues during a strike. Minor league umps routinely fill in for major league umpires who are injured or on vacation."

Fired??? You mean...as in we won't have jobs??? Yeah, that's what can happen when you go on strike. Some of us have been telling them this for months now. Mr. Roberts seems shocked by the news. Restructuring the union will take time but they need to do something or their dreams will die. I don't think any of us want to see the really talented guys lose out on a chance to make it. I recognized a couple names on their board as frequenters of our little domain. Maybe you can pass it along...bite the bullet for a year and restructure quickly. Take the small increase and realize that they won't blink! Go back to the table with fresh faces and realize that they are in the driver's seat.

The quote from the MiLB lawyer sounds like management believes that those guys actually are apprentices. Hmmmm...where did we hear that before?

Last edited by WhatWuzThatBlue; Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 07:02pm.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I would not go. I have met some of these guys and worked with them and I am backing them. I have not heard of any blues in this area (Tulsa, OK) taking assignments to call minor league ball that are not actual MiBL officials.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by btman
Or on That Other Site, eh Windy?

Yes, Walter. We all know that the Associated Press has given Officials Unlimited the exclusive rights to paste their sports articles on the WWW. There's no way that Windy could have read that anywhere else but on OU. Maybe you should have read some of what Windy has written about the situation before you ramble on about taking his advice. I believe that Windy has been a voice of realism here. He doesn't advocate crossing the line, but he understands that others will and that can't be stopped.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 03:50am.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, the article was forwarded to me from the MiLB umpires website - amlu.org. I found it ironic that the President of their group has just realized the ramifications of striking - umpires should e familiar with strikes and the balls it takes!

I pay little heed to WJR and his many noms de net. He once believed that I haunted his hallowed halls, yet could never find evidence of me to justify his convictions. For someone who stalked his own brood, you would think that he was more adept at researching the facts before publicly humiliating himself.

For those not incluned to pursue the truth: I advocate doing what is in the best interests of yourself and family. If the money is important, go for it. If you are an excellent umpire and want to challenge yourself to a supreme test, put on the gear. Maybe you crave the adrenaline of a more advanced game or the rush of performing in front of a crowd - whatever your motive, you may soon have the opportunity. If you choose to work these games, rise to the occasion and represent yourself well.

To those who choose not to work these games out of loyalty to your brethren, I don't begrudge your decision. We all must make decisions and I understand why you take such a stand. I encourage you to not let your emotions get in the way when judging someone who happily decides to umpire those contests. We all do what we need to do. They may have just as pressing of a need as the MiLB guys.

If the WUA boys went on strike - what would you do if a local MLB representative called and aksed if you could work the Yankees series in two weeks? I don't know an umpire out there that wouldn't jump at the chance to work in their favorite big league park with the heroes of the game.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
If the WUA boys went on strike - what would you do if a local MLB representative called and aksed if you could work the Yankees series in two weeks? I don't know an umpire out there that wouldn't jump at the chance to work in their favorite big league park with the heroes of the game.
I would turn it down in a heart beat. Not all of us are clamoring to work a Major League game or even better a Minor League game. I am sure there are people that would disagree, but there are many things bigger than just me. I live for principles that are more important from getting a one time shot that is not going to help me in the long run. I fell the way about this situation and I felt the same way when the NFL was in a similar situation about 3 years ago. I do not believe in cutting the throats of people for my own personal gain.

I agree with you on one thing, this is an individual decision, but that is not a decision I am going to make. I would hope others will feel the same way, but if you want to sell your soul for a shot that will not be there when everything is settled. Be my guest.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Stop and consider

"It's a combo of experienced HS and small college officials.
Hell, I guess, now even I am qualified.

Nah, no PAY INCREASE.
Nah, no signing bonus.
Nah, no travel bonus.
Nah, no fill in/temp bonus.
Nah, no need to spend every night in a hotel.

There is a brotherhood in big business.
Do you actually have the experience to deal with the mess?
I would tell YOU that I would rather not CROSS that line alone.
There is another cold wind blowing out of there.

What you do is your business.
It's one thing not to support your big brothers.
It's another thing to CRY FOUL when he's back to take your job.
I show BALLS with my left and support the STRIKE with my rights.

Last edited by SAump; Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 07:38pm.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
"well kids, I was a scab. A dirty, low life, back stabbing piece of trash who waited until someone that earned a spot in the majors stood up for something they believed in. When those people stood up for their beliefs, I went ahead and snuck in the back door and was able to ump. Arent you guys proud that I have such high morals and standards?"

Thanks!
Give me a break. When one has to stoop to unabashed appeals to base, unthinking emotionalism in order to attempt to make his opinion known, that opinion is not worth very much.

If you are convinced you are correct, try expressing your opinion intelligently, logically and free of bleeding heart rhetoric.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 12:23am.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
if someone thinks that is not a good definition of what a scab is then say so. Sounds like you might go to work for these guys, Garth....just a random observation.

sorry if my "heartless rhetoric" or whatever you called it doesnt use enough big words to sound intelligent. I am kind of a shoot from the hip kinda guy
You're also an "Assume what you know nothing about" kinda guy, too, I see.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL

LMAO/TSFS

Prozac ain't cuttin' it anymore!!!!

It appears you finally found your soul mate here, Walter. I think you and PWL would do nicely together. Maybe you can get him to go to rec.sports.officiating and start making stuff up along with you. Then, you won't have to keep posting back and forth to yourself.

Tim.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Whatever your own definition of "scab" is, rest assured, that is what you will be if you take an assigment and work a minor league game in the event of a strike. Whatever the reasoning or motivation that drives you to that decision and gets you on the field is, it will have driven you to be labeled for life as someone who crossed a picket line and worked somewhere that you did not earn the right to be.

If you have accepted an assignment and plan to work on opening day, be prepared to be face to face with the men you are crossing. The minor league umpires, their family, and other supporters (including myself) will be there at the games. They will be holding signs, and they will be distributing informational flyers. There won't be a soul on the field or in the stands that doesn't know who you are and what you are doing. With that said, enjoy your game, and maybe I'll see you there!

Last edited by bobbybanaduck; Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 09:48am.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
For someone who stalked his own brood, you would think that he was more adept at researching the facts before publicly humiliating himself.
This amused me because you obviously do not have all the facts, yet that did not stop you from posting the article and your feelings in your original post on this thread. The minor league umpires are without a contract, and if they DO strike, it will be a LEGAL strike. Therefore, they CAN NOT be fired for striking. Granted, they can be replaced until an agreement is reached, but they can't be fired. That is why they filed an unfair labor practices charge with the NLRB.

Last edited by bobbybanaduck; Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 09:59am.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
so has anyone heard anything about the proposal that was rumored to have been submitted yesterday?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass