The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Just ran across this.

Wichita umpires for hire
Minor league strike has Wranglers and other teams looking long and hard for replacements.
BY JOANNA CHADWICK
The Wichita Eagle

When minor-league baseball umpires announced late last week that they would strike to start the season, Texas League president Tom Kayser started scrambling for replacements.

Josh Schepis, a college umpire, started receiving phone calls.

He's already contracted to umpire some Wranglers games and has been in contact with other teams, including the Springfield Cardinals. Most teams are trying to fill their crews with local umps for games beginning April 6.

But Schepis isn't doing this as a way to break into the majors.

"No way it's a break for us," said Schepis, who umpires games in the Missouri Valley and Mid-Continent conferences while also doing nonconference games in the Big 12 and SEC.

"They don't get paid jack (in the minors).... I'm doing NBC baseball a favor. We know those people down there; we work close with them during the (NBC World Series).

"It's a pain. I don't want to umpire the two nights I do have off. There's nothing to gain from this, except a little bit of cash."

Cash is what the minor-league umpires are looking for.

Umpires average between $12,000-$15,000 in Double-A and Triple-A.

The starting salary for a first-year umpire in the Rookie League in 2005 was $1,800 per month, $100 less than it was in 1997, said Brian Kennedy, a Double-A umpire who is on the board of directors with the Association of Minor League Umpires. Insurance deductibles also increased by $500.

Of the 222 umpires in the minor leagues, 91 percent voted for the strike, Kennedy said.

"This (strike) is something we've got to do," said Todd Tichenor, a Triple-A umpire who lives in Holcomb. "There's a dozen of us who are close to the big leagues. Could this (strike) possibly hurt me? Yes, but that's just looking at me. As a union, we're one big family."

Umpires in the major leagues come directly from the minors.

Regardless of where the negotiations stand or whether the umpires will see pay increases, Kayser's primary concern is staffing the games.

Is it a headache?

"I really can't tell you," he said. "I'm preparing for whatever eventuality might arise.

"The only thing I'm willing to tell you is we're going to have games, we're not going to miss any games, and we'll have umpires on the field."

The Texas League uses four three-man crews but likely will have to find many more than that to fill in.

The replacements aren't being offered much to fill in for the minor leagues.

Schepis said he was originally offered $90 per game, which is $110 less than he gets for working Division I games. Kennedy said he earns about $83 a game in Double-A.

But Schepis said that he has been offered more since.

That, he thinks, should make everyone happy. Even those who might call him a scab for being a replacement.

"The minor-league guys I've talked to feel that's helping them, because (the minor league's) cost to hold out longer is going to go up," Schepis said.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
If you work a Minor League game during the strike it means that you've accomplished something. But getting asked back, because you shined - well that's pretty nice. Whether it is an independent A or MLB AAA affiliate, being asked to do those games by them is still an honor. Don't think for a moment that it isn't. The players are still the same and the park just as nice. If you do your job, you can go home feeling pretty good.

My favorite umpires are the ones who ask for tougher assignments so that they can test themselves. Each year I see young guys stepping up and surprising me. They can't do a worse job than Bobby D. at the WBC.
Once again, everyone is not excited about working Minor League ball. Sorry, you can try to convince everyone it is but we all are not trying to chase that dream. If I work one Minor League game I am not going to feel like I accomplished something. I know many this is a hard core dream, but it is neither my dream nor the dream of many, many umpires. There are people that could have worked Minor League games in other situations and passed on them without a strike.

Quote:
Jeff, I'm not trying to start anything...I just don't agree with your post, that's all. You were excited to work the Juco All Star game at a nice field. That same feelng you and the crew had will be there for any replacement umpires.
You are really stuck on this All-Star game with was about 2 years ago. I can personally think of 10 games (in other sports) this year alone that I was more excited about doing in other sports than that All-Star game. I can think of 10 things before that game that were more exciting or anticipated. It was an All-Star game. It was not a "real game" with "real" intensity. For some reason you think this was a shining moment all because there were pictures that anyone could see online. If that was the case why have you not seen any of my other accomplishments on the internet? This year was on of the best I ever had and there are no posted pictures anywhere.

One of these days you will realize that some of us are motivated by different things. I know umpires in our state (not sure this applies anymore ) that only get an umpiring license so they can work their local rec. league. Some people like to stay close to home and work games at a certain level. As I said before if you want to go and work those games go right ahead. I know I would not be happy with that "accomplishment" if I had to wait for the regular guys to go on strike to get there. I know I would not be comfortable to put any of that on a resume. If you want to undermine those that worked hard to get to that level, be my guest. I just know that I am too competitive to work those games. If I ever were to get to that point or ever decide to get to that point, I would not be satisfied with just working a game or two. I would want to work the playoffs and many important games. Working a game and you have no idea if you will be at that level is not my idea of an exciting thing.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Once again, everyone is not excited about working Minor League ball. Sorry, you can try to convince everyone it is but we all are not trying to chase that dream. If I work one Minor League game I am not going to feel like I accomplished something. I know many this is a hard core dream, but it is neither my dream nor the dream of many, many umpires. There are people that could have worked Minor League games in other situations and passed on them without a strike.
Jeff, I never generalized about this issue. I specifically mentioned that if you take the opportunity to work a few of these games, it is not a badge of dishonor, no matter how a few ill-informed souls spin it. Umpires support the game - the fact that these games will be played because of replacements may be sad to some, but not the fans, players and administrators. Replacement umpires have bills to pay too.

Also, I never said that working a Minor League game should be the zenith of your career in officiating. It is just another test and a chance to show your abilities. The Minor League players aren't on strike, so the game won't change. If you decide to focus on other levels or respect the AMLU walk out, I don't think less of you. I just asked the same courtesy be bestowed on those that may have to take those games. (I read the article, Wichita is a big town - lots of umpires available, but they still reach for the best college guys and they are accepting assignments faster than a few want to admit.)

Quote:
You are really stuck on this All-Star game with was about 2 years ago. I can personally think of 10 games (in other sports) this year alone that I was more excited about doing in other sports than that All-Star game. I can think of 10 things before that game that were more exciting or anticipated. It was an All-Star game. It was not a "real game" with "real" intensity. For some reason you think this was a shining moment all because there were pictures that anyone could see online. If that was the case why have you not seen any of my other accomplishments on the internet? This year was on of the best I ever had and there are no posted pictures anywhere.
Goodness, Jeff - I am not hung up on it, I just used it to illustrate that each of us consider certain things an honor. At the time, you were very pleased and a few of us ribbed you. I never mentioned the photos either, I simply pointed out that you and your crew were excited to work a competitive game on a nice field, that's all. You need to relax and read what was really written.

Quote:
One of these days you will realize that some of us are motivated by different things. I know umpires in our state (not sure this applies anymore ) that only get an umpiring license so they can work their local rec. league. Some people like to stay close to home and work games at a certain level. As I said before if you want to go and work those games go right ahead. I know I would not be happy with that "accomplishment" if I had to wait for the regular guys to go on strike to get there. I know I would not be comfortable to put any of that on a resume. If you want to undermine those that worked hard to get to that level, be my guest. I just know that I am too competitive to work those games. If I ever were to get to that point or ever decide to get to that point, I would not be satisfied with just working a game or two. I would want to work the playoffs and many important games. Working a game and you have no idea if you will be at that level is not my idea of an exciting thing.
Good points - ones that were previously mentioned, but valid. Many of those guys won't just work a game or two - they will be in it for the long haul. If they fire the umpires, as promised, those replacements will work the whole season and playoffs.

Another member said that it is not an achievment because you didn't earn it. Let's use the Wichita story as an example - that NCAA umpire certainly qualified as a worthy candidate. The leagues he works are just as competitive and the umpiring is outstanding. He was asked to work those games over many other umpires in his area. The fact that they thought enough of his talent IS an honor. Maybe he won't include it on his resume either, that is a decision that each guy has to make.

Let's take another look at it - I know plenty of excellent umpires that are too old or not wealthy enough to attend pro school. Maybe they now have families and can't afford the way that the career path is structured. They have put in many years honing their skills and work excellent college schedules. Now they are asked to take their game to another level and a few of you say, "Don't do it - those poor boys that signed contracts will suffer." Do you see how hypocritical that is? Sure those MiLB umpires may be nice and they deserve better, but they made a business decision and no promises were made - not for pay or advancement. Remember that, NO ASSURANCES WERE GIVEN. They may want more, but that is secondary to the issue. They agreed to work for a certain fee and develop themselves according to a set protocol. Now they want more and the boss says, "No." That happens thousands of times a day across America. And yes, someone will happily step into the roles they abandon.

Too many of you keep missing the bigger picture...the game is more important than 230 boys. If they concede and decide to work, the game will be better served - agreed. However, thousands of MiLB players make the same salaries at the lower levels and they can't afford to see their games cancelled. They need the chance to hit, throw, run and catch. They were not guaranteed a chance at the Show and their time and talent is extremely limited. Talk to a skipper some day and he'll tell you that it isn't fair what the Minor League umpires are doing. He wants them out there too and knows that they are better trained and deserve more, but so do his players. They deserve a chance to perform and be seen. If they decided to strike for better pay (Many haven't received raises either.) do you think the umpires would be saying, it's okay...it's a sign of loyalty and a stand for what they believe? N F W...they'd be scrambling for your jobs because they have bills to pay too. That is the argument after all, throwing stones at a few guys that may need the money - not the glory. What were those sayings about throwing stones?
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, I never said that working a Minor League game should be the zenith of your career in officiating. It is just another test and a chance to show your abilities. The Minor League players aren't on strike, so the game won't change.
That's where I disagree. The game will change. All the field personnel will know that those umpires are not professionals and they will be treated as such. The game will actually be MORE difficult to officiate than "usual" because of this. At its crux, MiLB is about player development. You think an A ball manager is going to stand for inconsistent umpiring night in and night out? I'm not saying that everyone who works as a replacement will be incompetent, yet one of the biggest differences b/w a pro and an amateur is that the pro does it every night, and does it well every night. Don't kid yourself, it will be an entirely different game.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Let's Make a New Deal

What would Ronald Reagan do? He was a REAL strikebuster on the righthand and a trickle-down economist on the left-hand.

Yeah, some people working around the ballpark are living paycheck to paycheck. I also support their rights to gain a respectable LIVING WAGE even if it means walking out to find a NEW job.

I also saw the Texas League All-Star game, played in Frisco, on FSN-TV. Has anyone discussed the possibilty of a new MiLB TV-deal? The BIG Leagues got a very lucrative ESPN-deal. I think it came after the current contract. Who knows what lies down the road?
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeblue
That's where I disagree. The game will change. All the field personnel will know that those umpires are not professionals and they will be treated as such. The game will actually be MORE difficult to officiate than "usual" because of this. At its crux, MiLB is about player development. You think an A ball manager is going to stand for inconsistent umpiring night in and night out? I'm not saying that everyone who works as a replacement will be incompetent, yet one of the biggest differences b/w a pro and an amateur is that the pro does it every night, and does it well every night. Don't kid yourself, it will be an entirely different game.

That is absolute rubbish...the players don't care if it's Joe Brinkmann or Joe Smith out there. The managers may try to test them and see how far they can go, but that's the same story on any field with new umpires. The league will support the umpires in almost any hairy situation. Team personnel will be warned that behavior will be strictly monitored.

Do I think that an A level skipper will stand for inconsistent umpiring with replacement umpires? Yes, since he has no choice! Come on...admit it, that's a really bad argument. Most MiLB umpires at that level are anything but consistent.

The game will still be the same...the same players will be out there and the same coaches will try to pull the same nonsense. Water seeks its own level.

We are not talking about sticking underlevel umpires out there. The guys that will get more than one assignment will be hand picked and selected from the best available in that area. I've been called to go to Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. I've declined all invitations and encouraged them to look locally.

Better pitchers mean it is easier to call strikes, not the opposite. Better fielding means you have to anticipate closer plays. The batters are all able to hit and want to swing the bat. A kid straight out of pro school is less proficient than a guy with ten years of college and high school varsity under his belt. Pro umpires don't work every night by the way, but I know many amateurs who do.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is absolute rubbish...the players don't care if it's Joe Brinkmann or Joe Smith out there. The managers may try to test them and see how far they can go, but that's the same story on any field with new umpires. The league will support the umpires in almost any hairy situation. Team personnel will be warned that behavior will be strictly monitored.
HAHAHAHAHA Yes they will support the scab umpires, just like I was supported last season when a manager busted my lip with his bill. You're on your own out there pal, just like we are.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Better pitchers mean it is easier to call strikes, not the opposite. Better fielding means you have to anticipate closer plays. The batters are all able to hit and want to swing the bat. A kid straight out of pro school is less proficient than a guy with ten years of college and high school varsity under his belt. Pro umpires don't work every night by the way, but I know many amateurs who do.
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.
~Naguib Mahfouz

I guess working 161 games in 178 days in a dozen different cities is not working every day!!
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 01:16am

Quote:
Exactly right.

The arguement that the strike zones will be horribly inconsistent just doesn't wash. I would put my strike zone up against any umpire straight out of pro school. It seemed pretty damn good when I was calling pitches for Prior, Zito, Loiza, Silva, Harang, Mitre, and many other pro prospects. They could bring it and bend it just as good then as today, and I rarely heard any complaining about my zone.

Also, a banger is a banger at any level. If you have solid mechanics, positioning, judgement, timing, hustle, and game management skills, then filling in for A or AA guys shouldn't be that big of a problem.

I don't want the job, and personally would not cross the line, but to think there aren't capable replacements out here is foolish. There are many pro school and PBUC grads, as well as some just flat out good umpires out there that could do just fine, despite what some of these MiLB guys think.

But what do I know, I'm just a "Charlie."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWthEmAn
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.
~Naguib Mahfouz

I guess working 161 games in 178 days in a dozen different cities is not working every day!!
Uh, no...maybe I understand the problem with the contract now. Math lessons may be in order. 161 is less than 178, right? By the way, a Rookie and Short A season is not six months long. AA and AAA sessons are only five months - 5 times 31 equals 155. Double check it, if you want. Or are you saying you are really a WUA umpire?

Thanks for copying my signature, by the way. Read it and think about what it means.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Guys! I'm going to tell you that if you think the league is going to back you on almost anything. You are WRONG!!!!!!!!!! You are going to be on your own just like we are everynight we walk on that field.

Clint Lawson
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
It seemed pretty damn good when I was calling pitches for Prior, Zito, Loiza, Silva, Harang, Mitre, and many other pro prospects... .
Oh no - here we go again. First it was Tim C and his name dropping of MLB umpires. Now we have SDS name dropping big league pitchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
...But what do I know, I'm just a "Charlie."
No, not just a "Charlie", but an "Internet Charlie" - they're even worse
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
No you didn't, Sal? I think I pulled something laughing. Watch out for BigUmp56 & Garth. Your life will never be the same again.

Judging from the private emails we've exchanged, I think Sal knows me better than that Mr. P.

Ball/Strikes. Fair/Foul. Out/Safe.

Everything else is just window dressing.

Which is why you work what you work.

That's just my opinion.
And we all know what that's worth.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
No, not just a "Charlie", but an "Internet Charlie" - they're even worse
I was actually being sarcastic, Sal. I don't consider myself a Charlie at all. I am not an internet umpire either. I am a real umpire who happens to be on the internet (for some stupid reason....the abuse I suppose).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB
Just ran across this.

Wichita umpires for hire
Minor league strike has Wranglers and other teams looking long and hard for replacements.
BY JOANNA CHADWICK
The Wichita Eagle

When minor-league baseball umpires announced late last week that they would strike to start the season, Texas League president Tom Kayser started scrambling for replacements.

Josh Schepis, a college umpire, started receiving phone calls.

He's already contracted to umpire some Wranglers games and has been in contact with other teams, including the Springfield Cardinals. Most teams are trying to fill their crews with local umps for games beginning April 6.

But Schepis isn't doing this as a way to break into the majors.

"No way it's a break for us," said Schepis, who umpires games in the Missouri Valley and Mid-Continent conferences while also doing nonconference games in the Big 12 and SEC.

"They don't get paid jack (in the minors).... I'm doing NBC baseball a favor. We know those people down there; we work close with them during the (NBC World Series).

"It's a pain. I don't want to umpire the two nights I do have off. There's nothing to gain from this, except a little bit of cash."

Cash is what the minor-league umpires are looking for.

Umpires average between $12,000-$15,000 in Double-A and Triple-A.

The starting salary for a first-year umpire in the Rookie League in 2005 was $1,800 per month, $100 less than it was in 1997, said Brian Kennedy, a Double-A umpire who is on the board of directors with the Association of Minor League Umpires. Insurance deductibles also increased by $500.

Of the 222 umpires in the minor leagues, 91 percent voted for the strike, Kennedy said.

"This (strike) is something we've got to do," said Todd Tichenor, a Triple-A umpire who lives in Holcomb. "There's a dozen of us who are close to the big leagues. Could this (strike) possibly hurt me? Yes, but that's just looking at me. As a union, we're one big family."

Umpires in the major leagues come directly from the minors.

Regardless of where the negotiations stand or whether the umpires will see pay increases, Kayser's primary concern is staffing the games.

Is it a headache?

"I really can't tell you," he said. "I'm preparing for whatever eventuality might arise.

"The only thing I'm willing to tell you is we're going to have games, we're not going to miss any games, and we'll have umpires on the field."

The Texas League uses four three-man crews but likely will have to find many more than that to fill in.

The replacements aren't being offered much to fill in for the minor leagues.

Schepis said he was originally offered $90 per game, which is $110 less than he gets for working Division I games. Kennedy said he earns about $83 a game in Double-A.

But Schepis said that he has been offered more since.

That, he thinks, should make everyone happy. Even those who might call him a scab for being a replacement.

"The minor-league guys I've talked to feel that's helping them, because (the minor league's) cost to hold out longer is going to go up," Schepis said.
I talked with Josh today for a little while. Josh is one of my assigners. Josh informed me there were about 6 NCAA D1 guys here in KS/OK that are going to work these games. Two of the guys going have MiLB experiance and one has MLB experiance. I've seen these guys stand down the toughest NCAA D1 coaches in the country so I know they're up to the pressure. As far as being qualified you don't become a D1 ump unless your the cream of the crop. Like Josh said if the AA & AAA owners have to pay D1 pay or better it can only help the union.

BIG'S BLOG