View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, the article was forwarded to me from the MiLB umpires website - amlu.org. I found it ironic that the President of their group has just realized the ramifications of striking - umpires should e familiar with strikes and the balls it takes!

I pay little heed to WJR and his many noms de net. He once believed that I haunted his hallowed halls, yet could never find evidence of me to justify his convictions. For someone who stalked his own brood, you would think that he was more adept at researching the facts before publicly humiliating himself.

For those not incluned to pursue the truth: I advocate doing what is in the best interests of yourself and family. If the money is important, go for it. If you are an excellent umpire and want to challenge yourself to a supreme test, put on the gear. Maybe you crave the adrenaline of a more advanced game or the rush of performing in front of a crowd - whatever your motive, you may soon have the opportunity. If you choose to work these games, rise to the occasion and represent yourself well.

To those who choose not to work these games out of loyalty to your brethren, I don't begrudge your decision. We all must make decisions and I understand why you take such a stand. I encourage you to not let your emotions get in the way when judging someone who happily decides to umpire those contests. We all do what we need to do. They may have just as pressing of a need as the MiLB guys.

If the WUA boys went on strike - what would you do if a local MLB representative called and aksed if you could work the Yankees series in two weeks? I don't know an umpire out there that wouldn't jump at the chance to work in their favorite big league park with the heroes of the game.