The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone notice that virtually every question on the March 2 NCAA Quiz is taken from the new BRD's example plays? I'm sure that makes Carl happy, if he isn't the Quiz's author. Having read through the new BRD, I got 9 out of 10 correct. But I question the clarity of the one I got wrong.

Question:
The batter singles and misses first base. The BR tries to return and is obstructed by the first baseman, who tags him out.

My Answer:
C. Award the BR second, allow the BR to retouch first base before he goes to second, if appealed, the BR is out.

Correct Answer:
E. Award the BR second, allow the BR to retouch first base before he goes to second, if appealed, the BR is not out.

But the BRD and NCAA Obstruction Rule appear to agree that the BR in this situation must touch 1B before he proceeds on to his awarded 2B, or else be liable to getting called out on appeal. So why is E more correct than C?
Old Mon Mar 20, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you call him out if he corrected his error by touching first?
Old Tue Mar 21, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Question:
The batter singles and misses first base. The BR tries to return and is obstructed by the first baseman, who tags him out.

My Answer:
C. Award the BR second, allow the BR to retouch first base before he goes to second, if appealed, the BR is out.

Correct Answer:
E. Award the BR second, allow the BR to retouch first base before he goes to second, if appealed, the BR is not out.

But the BRD and NCAA Obstruction Rule appear to agree that the BR in this situation must touch 1B before he proceeds on to his awarded 2B, or else be liable to getting called out on appeal. So why is E more correct than C

Why would you allow the defense to get an out on appeal when they Obstructed the runner from re-touching first base to begin with.

The rule makes sense. Just because R1 was Obstructed does not relieve him of his duties in touching the bases IN ORDER. In the example given R1 is given the opportunity of retouching first base because he was obstructed. If he does so properly then appeal denied. Why would rule other wise?

Let's give an Extreme example to clarify. BR singles, misses frist. On his way Back to retouch first base F3 Tackles him preventing the BR from touching first base. If you allow the appeal by the defense, then in the future fielders would simply tackle runners so they couldn't re-touch a missed base and subsequently be called out upon appeal.

Summary: The call on this play is

1. TIME
2. That's OBS
3. Award the BR second and see what happens.

If the BR goes back touches first on route to second - Appeal denied. If the BR does not go back and touch first appeal granted.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Pete, the problem is that they screwed up the college rule by taking away type A and type B obs. In otherwords, we are not to call time anymore on type A. We let it all happen and then award after all action has stopped.