The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Question

From another board...want to mkae sure I'm right before I answer.

A hit ball makes contact with the pitching rubber and goes directly into foul territory between homeplate and 1st(or 3rd). Fair or foul? Rule reference?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
From another board...want to mkae sure I'm right before I answer.

A hit ball makes contact with the pitching rubber and goes directly into foul territory between homeplate and 1st(or 3rd). Fair or foul? Rule reference?
Foul.

I think the OBR reference is in 2.0-Foul

Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I don't know why so many people get confused about this. It is no different than if the ball hits any part of the ground and then rolls over either foul line before 1st and/or 3rd base. Just because it hits the rubber doesn't make it a fair ball. Hitting the rubber isn't the same as hitting the 1st or 3rd base bag. Now the question that needs to be asked is... Batter hits a line drive up the middle. The ball hits the front edge of second base and flies over the foul line between home and 3rd base where it rolls to a stop. Is this a fair or foul ball?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

OP: Foul ball, all rulesets.

Question in previous post: Depends on the ruleset.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I was 95% sure that it was a foul ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
OP: Foul ball, all rulesets.

Question in previous post: Depends on the ruleset.
In what ruleset is it foul?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

If there's a rule set that calls a batted ball hitting second base, then going into foul territory between first/third and home a "foul ball", I've never found it!

Mcrowder, which rule set are you infering would call this "foul"?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Read the one that says a ball must pass between 1B and 3B. The rubber and 2B are just objects in the field of play. The ball must still go past these two bases in fair territory. They go into foul territory without passing these two bases, we have a foul ball.

Different story if touched by a player first. Ball is live and still in play.
What if a pop-up lands 1 foot over 1st and 2 inches in fair territory? You're pointing fair right?
What if the ball bounces backward because of backspin, over the base without touching it and then rolls into foul territory?
If you have fair ball here you have to have fair ball if it bounces foul off of 2nd, 2nd is clearly past 1st and 3rd.
I don't know the rule that applies but I've got fair ball until someone shows me the error of my ways.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Wink

What if I'm an idiot or a member of Congress?

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe there's any code in which a ball that hits 2B and then somehow rebounds foul within 3B or 1B would be ruled a foul ball. Definitely not in OBR. After all, a ball that hits 1B or 3B is fair even if it bounces backward foul without actually passing a base.

Fed has the 1B-3B line. A ball that touches behind that line is fair even if it subsequently rolls foul. (The pitcher's plate, of course, is in front of that line.) In OBR, such a ball is foul. I don't know how LL or other codes rule on that one.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a ball that lands beyond the line directly between 1B and 3B is fair in FED, regardless of where it rolls, but in OBR, the ball must hit fair territory beyond 1B or 3B - meaning past the line between 1B and 2B or past the line between 2B and 3B.

I'd have to get my books out again, but I seem to remember that a perpendicular line drawn from 1B will intersect with a perpendicular line drawn from 3B at the CENTER of 2B (again... correct me if I'm wrong), which would put the front corner of 2B in front of the line mentioned above that makes it a fair ball.

Yes, this is a nit I'd never pick in a game, and this sitch is probably very TWP.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Why would the intersecting lines go to the middle of 2nd base?

If you draw the line from the front edge of 3rd and the front edge of 1st, will these lines not intersect at the front corner of 2nd?

Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'd have to get my books out again, but I seem to remember that a perpendicular line drawn from 1B will intersect with a perpendicular line drawn from 3B at the CENTER of 2B (again... correct me if I'm wrong), which would put the front corner of 2B in front of the line mentioned above that makes it a fair ball.

Yes, this is a nit I'd never pick in a game, and this sitch is probably very TWP.
OBR 2.00 Fair:

A FAIR BALL is a batted ball ...that touches first, second or third base, or that...

I think that answers your question.

Your FED reference was also correct.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
Quote:

OBR 2.00 Fair:

A FAIR BALL is a batted ball ...that touches first, second or third base, or that...

I think that answers your question.

Your FED reference was also correct.
And there you have it.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
I could be incorrect about it touching 2B. However, the ball can bounce by the cut of the outfield by 2B and roll into foul territory just before it goes past 1B. It is a foul ball. [/B]
No no no no no no no.

Forget the bases themselves ... once the ball touches fair territory beyond 1st or 3rd (the definition of "beyond" differs between OBR and FED, but the principle is the same), it is a fair ball, even if it rolls untouched back across the foul line between 1B or 3B and home.