The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Can a left handed pitcher in the "stretch" hold(pause) his left leg in the air before coming to the plate? The pause was not long and he was doing this from the first time a batter got on base. I don't think he was trying to deceive the runners since this was his his natural pitching motion from the "stretch" or would that matter. Just trying to settle a disagreement.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Standard interpretations of pro rules require continuous movement. That does not mean that everything must move: if the arms are swinging, for instance, while the leg is held still, no problem.

Natural pitching motion is irrelevant.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Highschool. I thought the umpire made the right no call on this tonight. The coach argued with him about it between innings on why he didn't call a balk. I said no balk for the wrong reason I guess. Thanks!!!!!
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by wmandino
Can a left handed pitcher in the "stretch" hold(pause) his left leg in the air before coming to the plate? The pause was not long and he was doing this from the first time a batter got on base. I don't think he was trying to deceive the runners since this was his his natural pitching motion from the "stretch" or would that matter. Just trying to settle a disagreement.
No - what you have described is a start and stop after the pitcher has come into the "Set" position.

Balk.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Alan, it's only start and stop if everything stops, not just the leg. If his arms are swinging while the leg stops, I've got nothing.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by mbyron
Alan, it's only start and stop if everything stops, not just the leg. If his arms are swinging while the leg stops, I've got nothing.
agreed. the original sitch didn't refer to any other movement.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If a LEFT-HANDER lifted his LEFT leg before pitching, whether he paused or not, I'd call it a balk 100% of the time.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Emerling, you're a nit-picker!! I'd pay to see a lefty try to pitch while his left leg was in the air!!

Seriously, the question has been answered, with one amplification, if I may add it. Lefty pitcher's have been given a bit of latitude on this move, where they actually stop and hold their "Right" leg up, attempting to get the runner to make a move, so they can then step toward 1st and pick off the runner. This is a BALK! Don't let those sneaky southpaws get away with this.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:24pm

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:
If a LEFT-HANDER lifted his LEFT leg before pitching, whether he paused or not, I'd call it a balk 100% of the time.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
ROTFLMAO!!!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

sorry for all the confusion. RIGHT hander with a runner on 2nd and 3rd comes set, lifts his lead leg(left)and holds/pauses it before coming to the plate. The pause wasn't long, maybe a second before continuing to the plate.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
sorry for all the confusion. RIGHT hander with a runner on 2nd and 3rd comes set, lifts his lead leg(left)and holds/pauses it before coming to the plate. The pause wasn't long, maybe a second before continuing to the plate.
Balk-a-rooni! Not a continuous motion to the plate.

I think everyone else has given sufficient reasons why you should balk this move.