The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I just got a DVD of the World Series of 1943, 1944, and 1946, the Cardinals versus the Yankees, Browns, and Red Sox respectively.

The old films are enjoyable, but the umpires in particular are interesting to watch. The 1B umpires seemed to call most plays from foul territory between the coach's box and the bag and very close to the base. Sometimes the 1B ump stood maybe not quite as close to the bag but in fair territory in a direct line with the mound. On one stop-action, the umpire's arms are already fully extended in the "safe" sign with the runner's foot just barely having reached the bag and the ball a white blur not a foot from the glove. At all the bases, the calls seemed to be made simultaneous with the play. No wait at all.

I noticed that one PU was still dropping (to one knee) as the pitch was on the way. On one strikeout, the PU made a vehement call that turned him toward the 3B dugout. He must have thought the play was over, as he continued in that direction without looking back at the field to see the catcher drop the ball and then chase the runner up the 1B line for a few steps before tagging him.

And I think the first batter of the 1946 Series had a foot completely out of the box when he hit the ball. If anyone can tell me how to attach a picture, I'll post the vidcap. (I know people have done it.)

I also noticed that the Yankees occupied the 3B dugout for the 1943 games in Yankee Stadium.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
I just got a DVD of the World Series of 1943, 1944, and 1946, the Cardinals versus the Yankees, Browns, and Red Sox respectively.

On one stop-action, the umpire's arms are already fully extended in the "safe" sign with the runner's foot just barely having reached the bag and the ball a white blur not a foot from the glove.
I can't comment on the other part of your post, but if you mean the foot was on the bag but the ball wasn't in the glove, that's picture-perfect mechanics. The ONLY reason to delay a call at first is to be sure the first baseman maintains control.

Hence, clinicians teach: Call "safe" at once at home and first because the runner can't overslide/overrun the base. On outs at every base, wait until you've established control.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I've always called the play at 1B immediately, too. But at clinics I keep my mouth shut. MLB umps these days don't call them so fast, even at 1B.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I've always called the play at 1B immediately, too. But at clinics I keep my mouth shut. MLB umps these days don't call them so fast, even at 1B.
It must vary by umpire - I've seen some quick "safes" called. And, of course, we're always taught that MLB guys are not always the best role models for mechanics. (That's litotes, folks.)
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Two other things I noticed:

1. The batters' boxes were three-sided. There was no inner line.

2. After three outs, the infielders tossed their gloves onto the outfield grass. I knew they left their gloves on the field in those days, but it was still interesting to see.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:

On one stop-action, the umpire's arms are already fully extended in the "safe" sign with the runner's foot just barely having reached the bag and the ball a white blur not a foot from the glove.
I can't comment on the other part of your post, but if you mean the foot was on the bag but the ball wasn't in the glove, that's picture-perfect mechanics. The ONLY reason to delay a call at first is to be sure the first baseman maintains control.

Hence, clinicians teach: Call "safe" at once at home and first because the runner can't overslide/overrun the base. On outs at every base, wait until you've established control.
An immediate call of safe is warranted, but I think the way greymule described it, the umpire may have signalled early. Since his arms were already fully extended with the foot just barely having reached the bag, he probably began his safe call before the runner touched. Especially because he added that the calls at all the bases (presumably both safe and out) were made without waiting.

I suspect that the evolution of the game has perhaps made most of us good enough to call MLB games. At least for the '40's!

Mike
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the calls at the bases were immediate or even faster, safe or out. And on called strikes, the right hand was up before the ball hit the mitt.

I wish I knew how to post jpegs.

I also noticed that the PU called time out immediately after the 4th ball of an intentional walk. Pitch hits the glove, immediate time out.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if you have the jpegs hosted on a website, like if you found them on the web, type this: {img src="http://www.whateversiteyoufoundthemat.com/image.jpg"}{/img} except you want to change { and } to < and >

if you have the pictures on your computer, and you want to put them up on the web, email me at [brian.curtin AT gmail.com] and i will host them for you
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 08:33am

Quote:
Yes, the calls at the bases were immediate or even faster, safe or out. And on called strikes, the right hand was up before the ball hit the mitt.

I also noticed that the PU called time out immediately after the 4th ball of an intentional walk. Pitch hits the glove, immediate time out.
Not only did the old time umps call the safes and outs far too quickly, even at second and third bases, their mechanics always crack me up. Safe calls resembled football incomplete pass calls with the waving the arms back and forth, and the out calls with the arm shot up in the air with the extended thumb. Not wrong back then, just funny.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Yep,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Ted Barrett helped me in a huge manner about 5 years ago that made me recognize that when a runner is safe at first (on the standard throw'em out play) that the "SAFE" call can be the instant the runner beats the throw.
Timing according to the Academy is defined as "proper use of eyes". We use this all the time as plate umpires however it is just as important to use timing (proper use of eyes) and base umpires, as Carl said, to ensure complete control and voluntary release.

The problem with making a safe call immediately after the runner's foot touches the base is when F3 drops the ball on a wacker at first. As you come up with a BIG safe call to sell it and suddenly the ball is on the ground five feet from F3, he is going to turn to you and say "NO SH!T he's safe, I NEVER caught the ball... And by the way, thanks for sticking it up my a@@ !"

It's kind of like a BIG called third strike call on a cock shot where the batter is already heading for the dugout knowing he just took a perfect pitch. Sometimes you just don't have to emphasize the obvious.

As umpires are often creatures of habit, I would rather excercise good timing (proper use of eyes) on all plays, ie tags, forces, routine, wackers, safe, outs etc. because it just keep things simple. Just my opinion
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Yep,

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco
Quote:

Ted Barrett helped me in a huge manner about 5 years ago that made me recognize that when a runner is safe at first (on the standard throw'em out play) that the "SAFE" call can be the instant the runner beats the throw.
Timing according to the Academy is defined as "proper use of eyes". We use this all the time as plate umpires however it is just as important to use timing (proper use of eyes) and base umpires, as Carl said, to ensure complete control and voluntary release.

The problem with making a safe call immediately after the runner's foot touches the base is when F3 drops the ball on a wacker at first. As you come up with a BIG safe call to sell it and suddenly the ball is on the ground five feet from F3, he is going to turn to you and say "NO SH!T he's safe, I NEVER caught the ball... And by the way, thanks for sticking it up my a@@ !"

It's kind of like a BIG called third strike call on a cock shot where the batter is already heading for the dugout knowing he just took a perfect pitch. Sometimes you just don't have to emphasize the obvious.

As umpires are often creatures of habit, I would rather excercise good timing (proper use of eyes) on all plays, ie tags, forces, routine, wackers, safe, outs etc. because it just keep things simple. Just my opinion
Sorry, but I don't buy this so-called "rationale."

Timing on a safe call at The Academy is nothing more than an exercise to see if the candidate umpire can follow directions.

You say the first baseman might say, "No sh!t!," when you call an immediate safe but the ball is on the ground.

What do you suppose everybody connected with the defense (fans included) will say when the runner hits the base first, you PAUSE to see if the fielder has control so you don't embarrass him - and then call "Safe!"

I wouldn't like to be in your Nikes.

Forget that "check it out" nonsense on safes at first. If he's safe, by golly, he's safe and NOTHING CAN CHANGE THAT, not even "Proper use of eyes, good Academy timing."
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

So let me get this straight....

On all force plays where the runner beats the throw, don't worry about timing and just call him safe immediately when his foot touches the base before the ball enters the glove.

On all force plays where the runner doesn't beat the throw, use good timing and proper use of eyes to ensure F3 cleanly catches the throw, then call him out.

On tag plays where the runner beats the throw, use good timing and proper use of eyes to ensure the the runner stays on the base after the tag is applied so you don't make a "double call"

On tag plays where the runner doesn't beat the throw, use good timing and proper use of eyes to ensure the fielder tags the runner and maintains control of the ball, then call him out.

With all due respect to both of you, as well as the MLB umpires you mentioned, in three out of the four scenarios listed (which covers just about all safe/out calls from a thrown ball), you need to use proper timing before rendering a decision. Why not just keep it simple (K.I.S.S. principal) and utilize proper timing ALL THE TIME! Am I missing something here???
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: Well,

Quote:
I certainly have no intent to start an argument with you Sal . . .
What's this supposed to mean???

Am I coming off as combative just for stating my opinion?

I certainly hope that we all can discuss, not argue, about certain topics here.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco
So let me get this straight....

On all force plays where the runner beats the throw, don't worry about timing and just call him safe immediately when his foot touches the base before the ball enters the glove.

Yes, of course. IF THE PLAY IS AT FIRST OR HOME.

On all force plays where the runner doesn't beat the throw, use good timing and proper use of eyes to ensure F3 cleanly catches the throw, then call him out.

Naturally: You don't have to go to the Academy to know this. Every Charley teaches it just like that.

On tag plays where the runner beats the throw, use good timing and proper use of eyes to ensure the the runner stays on the base after the tag is applied so you don't make a "double call"

Sure.

On tag plays where the runner doesn't beat the throw, use good timing and proper use of eyes to ensure the fielder tags the runner and maintains control of the ball, then call him out. Am I missing something here???
You're missing the main idea, which is similar to those pesky Baptists with their "once saved, always saved" doctrine. At first base, once safe, always safe, on THAT play, at least.

No one is trying to take away your precious "proper use of eyes, good Academytiming" IF it's an aid to getting the call right. Waiting on a safe is just plain bush, though.

It gains you nothing and creates potential for disaster.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Waiting on a safe is just plain bush, though.
Regarding close plays at first when the runner beats the throw AND F3 drops the ball...

Its really not a matter of waiting on safe calls, rather, it's coming up with a relaxed safe mechanic and no verbal versus an emphatic mechanic along with a loud verbal "SAFE". What looks more professional in this instance? Unless you are the MASTER of the OBVIOUS, I think a simple safe mechanic is sufficient.