The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Can anyone please identify for me in NF; is there a "force play slide rule"? If so, please give rule number and if in rule book, case book ect....

I do not believe there is one, as a player is never required to slide, only aviod contact.

Thanks

Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Yes there is ...

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Can anyone please identify for me in NF; is there a "force play slide rule"? If so, please give rule number and if in rule book, case book ect....

I do not believe there is one, as a player is never required to slide, only aviod contact.

Thanks

There is a "force play slide rule" in FED, we often refer to it in short as FPSR.

Basically, its "if" you slide, you must do it legally.

The rule references above give you what you need to look it up, start with Rule 2 - what is a legal slide and then go to rule 8 and see the parameters.

thanks
David
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach

Thanks

I guess you could call it the Force Play Slide Legally or Avoid Fielder Rule (FPSLOAFR). FPSR is just a lot shorter.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

The NHFS FPSR is not that hard if you concentrate on what makes a slide illegal. FED 2-32-1, 2-32-2 & 8-4-2b (as quoted by others) have the illegalities listed. Pay close attention to them. Also, don't forget the note in 8-4-2b that states "runners do not have to slide.....". The NHFS FPSR is not a "must slide" rule.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
The NHFS FPSR is not that hard if you concentrate on what makes a slide illegal. FED 2-32-1, 2-32-2 & 8-4-2b (as quoted by others) have the illegalities listed. Pay close attention to them. Also, don't forget the note in 8-4-2b that states "runners do not have to slide.....". The NHFS FPSR is not a "must slide" rule.
So, it is NOT a rule in name: but more of a way to slide?

I am asking because on the NF test, they used the term "Force Play Slide Rule" in a question. The question was word for word out of the book, except it used the FPSR. I was unsure if that made it false because of the wording. You know how the NF tests add one little thing.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

The name is correct, but often misunderstood. The rule applies on force plays. People read the name and think that players are "forced" or required to slide.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Wouldn't that be the PFSR?

Tim.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbyron
The name is correct, but often misunderstood. The rule applies on force plays. People read the name and think that players are "forced" or required to slide.
This comment gets to the crux of the problem. The terminology is adequate, but not ideal. The rule name could be more descriptive, like "Sliding criteria on force plays," but I'm sure plenty of people would be able to find reasons why that is not good enough, too.

Mike