The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have spoken with a couple of guys in that group and they are disoragnized to say the least.
I just don't understand who you are talking to, because the guys I talk to say the exact opposite, and I see no reason for them to lie to me.

Quote:
At the IACAO clinics, the MiLB guys walk around with a haughty arrogance that wasn't present when I was in the ranks. Admit it, you think you are above High SChool and College ball. The way things are going, you may need those games to pay your bills.

I'm sorry you feel this way WWTB. We had Ed Hickox, Josh Carlisle, and Brian Reiley come help instruct a clinic for one of the associations i'm in. I had not met any of these guys before, but after meeting them I honestly felt like they honestly wanted to help me become a better umpire, and they NEVER acted cocky or like they were better than me. I've also worked some college ball in February down in Florida with some of the younger MiLB umpires, and let me tell you this. They were AWESOME to me. They did not come across like they were about the game, or above me. They were happy to answer any questions I had, and never made me feel like I was bugging them, because I asked a lot of questions. But they NEVER made me feel like they thought they were too good for me, or college ball. I am sorry that they weren't there to help you out in Chicago. I'm sure almost all of the MiLB guys didn't even know what was going on there.

All I can speak for is my personal experiences...so I'm not going to generalize and say "all MiLB guys are like this"...but the ones i've met are great guys, who are down to Earth, very personable, and have a love for umpiring that goes beyond anything i've ever seen. I have yet to meet a professional umpire who acts like he's above me or the level of baseball I work.

I've never met you before Derek, but good luck with everything. I really respect everything you guys are doing. It takes a lot of guts.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

It's all good to agree that they are underpaid, or treated poorly. They probably are.

But, as much as I hate landing on Windy's side of any argument, the point that he's made about it being relatively easy for Baseball to replace these guys at THEIR wages is accurate. While many or most of the guys posting here, along with a lot of "pro-union" types out there, will refuse to cross over, there will be PLENTY of guys that will. There may even be a drop in quality, but I suspect that the almighty dollar will rule the decisions of MiLB on this one.

Now... if we really want the umpires to win this greivance, what we need is for a bunch of us to cross the line, and then TRULY suck at our jobs. That might cause them to think twice. Anyone know what PWL, Thomas White, and dumbdrumb are doing this spring?

But that ain't gonna happen.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
It's all good to agree that they are underpaid, or treated poorly. They probably are.

But, as much as I hate landing on Windy's side of any argument, the point that he's made about it being relatively easy for Baseball to replace these guys at THEIR wages is accurate. While many or most of the guys posting here, along with a lot of "pro-union" types out there, will refuse to cross over, there will be PLENTY of guys that will. There may even be a drop in quality, but I suspect that the almighty dollar will rule the decisions of MiLB on this one.

Now... if we really want the umpires to win this greivance, what we need is for a bunch of us to cross the line, and then TRULY suck at our jobs. That might cause them to think twice. Anyone know what PWL, Thomas White, and dumbdrumb are doing this spring?

But that ain't gonna happen.
Now I like that idea!. Average 5-10 ej's per game, have a huge strike zone .... LOL, that would be fun!
'
Where is Lance when you need him?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

"All I can speak for is my personal experiences...so I'm not going to generalize and say "all MiLB guys are like this"...but the ones i've met are great guys, who are down to Earth, very personable, and have a love for umpiring that goes beyond anything i've ever seen. I have yet to meet a professional umpire who acts like he's above me or the level of baseball I work."

On the surface this is a nice sentiment. Ask some of them to work a high school game some time. Better yet, when their season is over, ask them to work an underlevel game. Don't get me wrong, I was the same way when I got done. There was no way you would get me on a high school field. It took a long time before I figured out that if I was that good, I would have been noticed by Fitz and Co. I am really friendly with a few AA and AAA crew. We shoot the s*** once in a while. Sometimes it's at the ballpark when Brinkman gets us free tickets or sometimes after when he and his crew are in town. (Joe and Bruce take care of those they liked at their old school.) It never amazes me how often the younger MiLB guys put down college crews. They joke about their lazy mechanics and lack of discipline. Maybe these are the bad seeds, but I've been around too long and seen too many to know better.

Again, I hope that they get their act together and wise up before walking away from ST assignments. Those with seven years or more invested will be throwing it all away. Did anyone see the WUA's position on the matter? I haven't seen them being to vocal about their brethren. A few misguided members insist that we should rally around them. Yeah, I can't wait for you to do that when the local teacher's union walks out in your town. You'll be screaming for them to get back to work. Shortsightedness has no place in an umpire's kit bag.

TAC - I have to admit, that was a nice catch.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Mike (WCB), go to sleep...it's getting late there (10PM) and your kids will be up early!

Your points are well taken...time will tell. Coming home soon?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

You have joined a legion of others who are mistaken. I'm amused to see where this goes.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

What happened? I thought this was going to play out like the others. Maybe you finally got ahold of one of his newsletters and found that even with another dozen years of schooling his writing skills would never match mine. You gave him too much credit and me, not enough. It would have been fun to see you tear apart another UMPS guy though.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 05:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I hope these guys get what they deserve. The last time there was a contract renewal they actually lost $200. I already know guys in my area that are getting called to fill in and all of them have turned the teams down because they reconize that us as umpires are somewhat brothers in arms. We understand each other and what we do (for the most part) unlike players and the joe schmo down the street, they cannot possible comprehend that.
Minor or major league level blues always catch the sh!t end of the stick right wrong or indifferent. These guys are not asking for the world and some of them have said a few hundred a month more would be nice. College officials can make more in a month than these guys in a couple and they are calling lower level ball.

If I get a call, I am behind the blues and will not call even the AA team here in town.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.