Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Umps to boycott if no improvement made

The Minor League ReportBy DAMIAN CRISTODERO, Times Staff Writer
Published January 21, 2006 - St. Petersburg Times

Minor league umpires did not close the door on working spring training games but they clearly pushed in that direction.

The Association of Minor League Umpires on Friday turned down a labor contract and voted to boycott spring training if, as union head Andy Roberts said, "no further improvements are made.

"We love the game," Roberts told the Times by phone. "We sweat and bleed out there to produce a product the fans love. It is unfortunate it has gotten to this point."

Roberts said the umpires' average salary has not increased in a decade. He said the contract that expired in November paid Triple-A umps $15,000 for a five-month season, Double-A umps $12,000 and full-season Class A umps $10,000.

Roberts said the union asked for "substantial increases in pay," but management's five-year proposal offered a $500 raise only in the first year and a health-care deductible increase from $100 to $500.

He said per diems would rise $1 each year. Under the old deal, umpires received $25 in Triple-A, $22 in Double-A and $20 in Single-A.

"It's not exactly a livable amount of money," said Roberts, 32, a Triple-A umpire in the International League. "It's frustrating because we're not asking for the world. We're asking to treat us equally as we go year-to-year and make it so that your most qualified people can survive."

Pat O'Conner, chief operating officer of minor league baseball's governing body, St. Petersburg's National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues, declined comment beyond, "Our position is we're not going to negotiate in the press."

Roberts said no negotiations are scheduled but added, "We're looking forward to getting back to the table."

The union, though, clearly turned up the pressure with its boycott vote.

Roberts said spring training was not included in the previous contract. Umpires were invited to work. If the boycott holds, replacements will be needed.

"This isn't some sort of crying game," Roberts said. "We all know what we're getting into. But you hope you have the opportunity to maintain what you're doing when your level of expertise becomes so much more.

"The average three-umpire crew in Triple-A has over 20 years combined experience. You tell me if you can replace that."

Doesn't sound good to me.

--Tim.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Ive changed my initial position about these guys striking...I hope they get everything they deserve.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yep,

They should get what they "deserve" . . .

This is simply a union arguement . . . I deal with the same issue every three years in my profession.

We live in a society were competition drives pricing.

If there were not "any" umpires unions what would the going price be for a AAA base umpire?

We have a difficult issue that "appentice level umpires" earn far less than "journeyman" umpires. The entire gamble, made willingly by MiLB umpires, is that they will one day "cash in."

In the most general of terms, I look at umpire as an "non-critical" skill . . . they ain't doctors . . . and the market will set the price of service.

I mean no disrespect to any MiLB umpire . . . but I do believe the following:

GIVEN TIME, minor league baseball would still flourish EVEN if they used local umpires of the college and high school level.

Don't get me wrong . . . professional umpires are far superior to those of us that work in the non-professional trenches . . . the issue is, MiLB can "get by" with umpires of lesser quality. It will eventually not change the game.

MiLB teams struggle to make ends meet. I would guess a settlement is close at hand and the umpires will settle for far less than they are currently seeking.

But that again, is just opinion.

[Edited by Tim C on Jan 31st, 2006 at 12:22 PM]
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

If the umpires did go on strike, do you think any of the current umpires would be a weasle and go ahead and work games anyways?

I know our summer assoc was negotiating a new contract this past year (which we settled) and we had one weasle that was willing to work games independent of the association and also get other umpires to work with him had we not settled. (Note: summer league umpires are not independent contractors like HS season in my area, which made it even worse).
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

OMG, the fact that we agree is numbing. I was villified for saying these same sentiments earlier.

MiLB umpires are not a rare breed. They are being paid to train and dream. MLB knows what they have and it is a proving ground. The dirt track racers don't get paid Michael Schumacher salaries. They are still learning and hoping fora shot at the brass ring. I can't believe anyone would fall for that "how are you going to replace our talent BS". Watch, they'll show you how. The same way that PATCO, Ford, and countless other companies replaced staff when they walked out. The replacements aren't weales, Largeone. IF a guy doesn't want to work his job, then go away. MiLB is driven by the dollar, just like any other business. Why would I pay more than I have to to get someone to sweep the floors in my office. If Oleg doesn't want to, then Manuel will. There are simply too many umpires that want to work MiLB. The schools are full and prove my point.

Do they deserve to be paid more - probably. But let's face it, high school coaches think they deserve professional umpires out there. If some of the best college guys work those Triple A games while Andy is sitting at home, too f-ing bad. That's what happens when you sign on for the dream.

This is the same cock and bull story about we want and need more. There is a list a country mile long of guys that would happily take those meaningless Short A, Rookie ball and Long A assignments. Those games will be covered by some talented umpires and some not so talented umpires. But that is what happens on every amateur baseball field in the world.

It is a hard life, to be certain. But, they get paid for a five month season and can do winter ball, instruct or travel the south working for more money than they made on the MiLB circuit. As I said before, these guys are apprenticing. The fact that a guy has been doing it for seven years is sad, but too bad. Why are you hanging in there after seven years? The answer is obvious - he wants the shot at the Show. No one is forcing him to stay. If you don't like the hours, pay or benefits...step aside and the next hungry young guy will be only too happy to show them what he's got. That's what MiLB does and so does most of corporate America.

[Edited by WhatWuzThatBlue on Jan 30th, 2006 at 10:40 PM]
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
If the umpires did go on strike, do you think any of the current umpires would be a weasle and go ahead and work games anyways?

I know our summer assoc was negotiating a new contract this past year (which we settled) and we had one weasle that was willing to work games independent of the association and also get other umpires to work with him had we not settled. (Note: summer league umpires are not independent contractors like HS season in my area, which made it even worse).
I think a few would work, and then a few more, and before you know it the strike would be broken. If I'm right, they know it too, and will settle. What happened to the guy in your association? Is he still welcome ther?

Mike
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

"If the umpires did go on strike, do you think any of the current umpires would be a weasle and go ahead and work games anyways?"
------------------------------------------------------

Mark:

I doubt that initially there would be guys that break the boycott. Most of this opinion is rooted in the fact that many, many MiLB have full time jobs outside of umpiring. Unlike MLB umpires the MiLB guys probably make more money during their off season.

The challenge MiLB teams have is that their highest level of baseball starts first. Short Season A ball teams don't play until June so there is no hurry for that group to settle.

I know that the AAA Pacific Coast League is already developing "fill-in" plans for umpires. I am sure by mid-February leagues will have a "Plan B".

In Portland alone we have five retired MiLB umpires (most got as high as AA) and four D1 umpires that all would probably work AAA games in this town. We also have at least 15 professional umpire school graduates.

As I said above:

The quality of the umpiring would certainly not be as good as the professional umpires but eventually things would settle down and the managers, players and owners could live with lesser quality umpiring.

Umpiring does not effect a game enough to be of serious concern to the powers that run MiLB.

Of course, this is just an opinion.

Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I agree that the Minor league umpires should be paid more, however, I won't lose sleep over any actions they may take.

They all made a concious choice, knowing full well that they will be making less money, for the opportunity to advance and potentially make it to the pinnacle of their profession. We all make those decisions about our futures every day. Sometimes we move forward, sometimes backwards, and sometimes we don't move at all.

I hope they don't decide on a labor action, those generally are lose-lose propositions for all parties involved.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Minor League per diem. Hardly enough to buy ONE decent meal.

Bob
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Bluezebra - who cares?

Do you get a per diem?

I imagine the guy that cuts my lawn would like to have his meals paid for. He works eight months and doesn't get their salary. I'm pretty sure he has no medical coverage and he has to buy his own equipment.

If you don't want to work for that wage, don't show up for work. Maybe they deserve more than what they are getting, but most employees are paid what they are worth to the owner. Apprentices make less than the master. My mechanic has five or six guys that are apprenticing for him. They push brooms, change plugs, fill and drain fluids - all work for far below the posted garage rate. They know that they have to pay their dues, further their education and hope that they perform well enough to be offered a journeyman role.

For those of you not familiar with a kitchen - many apprentice or sous chefs spend thousands on schooling and work horrible hours for very little pay. They do so in hopes of learning enough to be asked to the "show" - a 5 star culinary palace. They recognize that they do the same job as the guy in the cool tocque, but are not read for the glory yet. Maybe some of aspiring MiLB guys should go see what is going on in the kitchen rather than worry about the per diem.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Who deserves more, a AA umpire, or say.....a firefighter, teacher, cop....maybe a doctor in training working days on end just to be able to "cash in" after their ordeal is over.

By the way, I don't get a per diem on my job. In fact, when I was working during our last strike (before anyone gets all knotted up, I am management) I went over our daily meal allowance and had to repay my company $1.32.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Well put...

Most dissenters fail to realize the lack of sympathy when the MLB umpires last walked out. Do you really think the MiLB guys will garner more? I know plenty of umpires who went to pro school and now work college ball. They travel all over, live in crap hotels and live on Ramen noodles and the free grub at the ball parks. They are doing this so that they can prove that they are worthy of a Regional, Super or CWS. They don't have a contract either and live the dream. I wonder what their medical coverage is?
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Well ....................

I hope that, due to the general tenor of this thread, that all of you will be happy losing your plum assignments because "Smitty" will do the games for a "dog" and a Coke.

And why not, the talent of the umpiring has little to nothing to do with the game, at least according to the past posts.

Doug
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

The only "plum" assignments lost to a Smitty will be the ones turned down or refused.

Bob

-----------------------
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Doug:

I ask simply for the respect to extend my position:

I think all umpires are less important than how we value ourselves.

The only way I can explain is this way:

If you have two NFL teams that are evenly matched you can have a great professional football game to view. But if you have two equally matched WFL teams you can also have a game that is fun to watch.

MiLB umpires are good, they are not MLB umpires.

Minor league umpires fulfill an important function but that function is nothing compared to the players.

There is a far greater gap betweem MILB umpires and players than there is MLB umpires and players.

We are talking about MiLB umpires . . . some are 19 years old and have worked less baseball than any 10 year high school veteran.

Give these guys credit . . . the have a passion and rake a huge gamble.

HOWEVER . . .

Ownership of Minor League teams know that umpires are kinda/sorta unimportant.

I am not downgrading MiLB umpires I am telling you the truth.

Minor league baseball would EVENTUALLY go right a long with or without MiLB umpires. They just aren't that important. The SYSTEM will eventually accept whatever the quality is of umpiring and the teams will adjust and move on.

Some people might tell you the following:

"Minor League umpires are nothing more that an expendable commodity.

"There will always be umpires to work games.

"It does not matter that a "Joe West" is hidden in the multitude of MiLB umpires as there will always be 'someone' to work the games."

These "same people" would tell you that MiLB umpires have vastly overrated their value to the system.

The cool thing is we will see how this shakes out . . . and we are not involved.