The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in the market for a new pair of plate shoes. I have worn the Gerry Davis high tops for years there fine. Does anybody have an opinion on the Honigs high top or the New Balance high top plate shoe? Thanks for the input>
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
According to Aaron in customer service at Honigs this shoe was not going to be put into mass production for the amature umpire unles there was significant support from the professional ranks for the shoe. Apparently there was enough support for New Balance to do this. This has to say something for the comfort and quality of the shoe.

I've heard mixed feelings about the look of the shoe from internet umpires, but my opinion is if they are anywhere near as comfortable as their base shoes, they're worth a try. I've already got my order for a pair pending while waiting for the March release date.

Tim.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Davis still makes a great plate shoe and my +POS Patent Leathers have a better sole than the New Balance. If you work on Diamond Dry fields, you'll like the ease of keeping mine clean. Those gym shoe bottoms can be slick, so try them on first. Then imagine busting your tail to get to third for a blown coverage - the ground is damp. The hinge on the New Balance looks to be a weak point too.
MY PLs have lasted 6 years and I only need to spray them with water and Febreez (my feet don't smell so bad and it keeps the bag smelling fresh). If you try them, it might not be a bad idea to paint over that big 'N'. I'm not a fan of white being visible on an umpire - especially a plate umpire. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

I just bought a pair of the Honig's K90 high top plate shoes. I had a pair of the low tops for years and have never had a problem. I went with the high tops for a little more support. I haven't worn them on the field (only 4 weeks to go!), but trying them on they feel great.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I'd love to wear the Honig's high tops. They're unavailable (like many other models) in EEE.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
GD Patent Leather hightops. Very light and comfortable, plus a breaze to polish. Did 18 inning double header behind the plate and there was nary a whimper from the dogs.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

I also have the GD Patent hightops. I was sent a new pair for free as my first pair which I purchased two years ago was deemed defective. I liked my first pair, but I've only worn my 2nd pair a few times and have had some "serious" pain on the side of the shoe. Hopefully they just need to be worn in.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe,

I'll stick with my new NIKE low cuts.

Tee
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Nike plate shoes? Where did you find them?

Tim.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm happy with my +POS low tops.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I have used Honigs high tops for 3-4 years. The soles on mine are different than the ones they sell now. I like the soles on the newer ones better. I took mine to the shoe store and got new heels put on them last fall for about $16 and I think I am good to go for several more years.

While I like my current plate shoes, if I were in the market for new ones I would at least consider GD high tops or Tanel 360 lows, based on comments I have heard from others.

Since using the Honigs high tops I am now partial to high tops, and yes, I used lows for years before getting the current pair.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have used the Honigs K-90 Highs and the +POS lows as well as the riddell highs, they were all about the same in performance but the +POS held up the best over time. I have heard some other guys say that they were hard to run in but I seem to ok with them. I really like the look of the
New Balance plate shoes, I might give them a try.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:10pm
M.A.S.H.

I use the Gerry Davis Patent Leather. Love them, feel great and extremely easy to clean!
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
According to Aaron in customer service at Honigs this shoe was not going to be put into mass production for the amature umpire unles there was significant support from the professional ranks for the shoe. Apparently there was enough support for New Balance to do this. This has to say something for the comfort and quality of the shoe.

I've heard mixed feelings about the look of the shoe from internet umpires, but my opinion is if they are anywhere near as comfortable as their base shoes, they're worth a try. I've already got my order for a pair pending while waiting for the March release date.

Tim.

Will these be available in wide widths? Are these patent leather?

Anaconda sports.com is selling this shoe for 89.95 but not until March 06

[Edited by irefky on Jan 27th, 2006 at 06:44 PM]
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 06:39pm
M.A.S.H.

They don't like they are in patent leather.