LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego

and very muscular.
So that's what they call the chunky in your area huh?? j/k

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I also have the Wilson "West Vest knock-off", the model number A3217. It's comfortable, lightweight, durable and has taken some hard shots with no ill-effect. And, it can be found on-line for about half the cost of the WV Platinum.

No complaints and it has served me well. The only minor drawback is that the pads aren't removable for washing. Oh well- no biggie. The bicep pads that came with it have resided in the bottom of my equipment bag from day one.

There is something about this particular protector that I've wondered about. After searcing for it online, and having seen a few others in-person, I've seen quite a few of these.

Some retailers advertise these as "Wilson" chest protectors and they have a prominent "Wilson" logo on the chest.

Some retailers advertise these as "West Vest" models, even though they are clearly the same Wilson model, with the same "Wilson" logo.

And then again, I've seen this exact same model where the only difference is that the logo on the chest actually does say "West Vest" and then, in smaller letters, "Made for Wilson" or "Made by Wilson".

So, does anybody know the scoop on these? Is the indentical model sold by both Wilson and West Vest? A slightly different model? Strictly a marketing difference?
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
I have been using the Honig's K1 for about 7 years now.

Tonight at an association meeting, I got the opportunity to try on a WV Platinum, under a shirt. I have been considering purchasing one this year.

Well let me tell you, it felt horrible ! Way too stiff. The side pads dig into your arm pits, and the thing slides around like crazy, even after tightening the straps. I was very disapointed. I have heard such great things about them. Several other members told me that they had purchased them in the past, and sold them not long afterwards. Many returning to their WV Gold.

Looks like my Honig's K1, which I am passing down to my son, is going to get replaced with another K1. They fit great, conform to your body, and take a hit like it was a mosqueto landing on you. I also like that I can add the stomach extension and bicep pads, when working a lower division.

I am sure the WV fits and works fine for many others, but it just didn't feel right on me. Too bad, I was looking forward to a new toy.

Just for reference, I am about 6', 48" chest, and very muscular.
I agree...I like the protection but absolutely hate the fit. Any coincidence that the man who designed them all wears a Gold????