View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I also have the Wilson "West Vest knock-off", the model number A3217. It's comfortable, lightweight, durable and has taken some hard shots with no ill-effect. And, it can be found on-line for about half the cost of the WV Platinum.

No complaints and it has served me well. The only minor drawback is that the pads aren't removable for washing. Oh well- no biggie. The bicep pads that came with it have resided in the bottom of my equipment bag from day one.

There is something about this particular protector that I've wondered about. After searcing for it online, and having seen a few others in-person, I've seen quite a few of these.

Some retailers advertise these as "Wilson" chest protectors and they have a prominent "Wilson" logo on the chest.

Some retailers advertise these as "West Vest" models, even though they are clearly the same Wilson model, with the same "Wilson" logo.

And then again, I've seen this exact same model where the only difference is that the logo on the chest actually does say "West Vest" and then, in smaller letters, "Made for Wilson" or "Made by Wilson".

So, does anybody know the scoop on these? Is the indentical model sold by both Wilson and West Vest? A slightly different model? Strictly a marketing difference?