The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
On the CIBW question, something like this would work.

"Coach, are you talking about that strike 3 on your last batter? I'd gladly call strikes for you, but your pitcher couldn't find the strike zone with a GPS system"

Just kidding, of course. ( I had to say that to prevent the 1,000 flaming replys and 3 PWL poems)

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 02:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
"Call it both ways."

Why does that bother you more than any other comment?
The coach is not questioning your integrity any more than he questions your judgement on a banger at second.

Getting upset at CIBW is silly. I do call it both ways - Fair/Foul, Strike/Ball, and Safe/Out. It just so happens that his team is not throwing strikes, getting outs or hitting fair balls. "

I'm not supposed to call it both ways coach. I'm paid to call them fairly." Look away and leave them scratching something.
Hate to disagree, but I know I'm not alone on this, so I will.

Saying to the umpire to call it both ways implies that you are calling it differently for one team than the other.

It further implies that that you are therefore cheating for that other team, which you are supposedly favoring with your calls.

I could care less if they like my banger at second. I know whether or not it was the right call. They can certainly question my safe/out call on a play. That is not the same as "call it both ways," which suggests dishonesty on the part of the umpire.
Maybe at higher levels, but at the lower levels you're giving the coach WAY too much credit.

CIBW means one thing only -- "Call it MY way." This one is easy for me to ignore. It's nothing comment, usually thrown in after a call goes the other way. Counting missed calls means the coach is trying to keep score.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Rich. I'm always amazed at those responses. If you are worried about a coach saying, "You blew that one.", "You missed another balk." or "That's two you've called wrong." I can tell what kind of umpire you are and what kind of games you call.

SDS, most solid veterans know when a coach crosses a line. These comments are petty gamesmanship, nothing more. Do you get your panties in a bundle when you call a high strike and the coach says, "Don't worry Timmy, you know that's not a strike." or better yet, "Relax, Timmy - he now has to call those strikes for us."? Yeah, I think I know the answer already - you're too predictable.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips.alex View Post
One of the men who taught me how to officiate used to put it like this: If a coach or player ever calls you a worthless piece of trash, the correct response is this: Yes, sir. (then eject)
One thing I have NEVER done, or will ever do, is agree with a coach by saying "yes sir" to the above comment. Your instructor is mistaken with that advice..just eject and move on...
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Well put

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue View Post
Thank you Rich. I'm always amazed at those responses. If you are worried about a coach saying, "You blew that one.", "You missed another balk." or "That's two you've called wrong." I can tell what kind of umpire you are and what kind of games you call.

SDS, most solid veterans know when a coach crosses a line. These comments are petty gamesmanship, nothing more. Do you get your panties in a bundle when you call a high strike and the coach says, "Don't worry Timmy, you know that's not a strike." or better yet, "Relax, Timmy - he now has to call those strikes for us."? Yeah, I think I know the answer already - you're too predictable.
I like that way of putting it in perspective. Coaches are playing their little game just trying to gain an advantage. Too many times, umpires play along instead of umpiring.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Can we let this four year old spammer-rebirthed thread die?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 02:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Can we let this four year old spammer-rebirthed thread die?
It's 6 years. And I like reading what I wrote six years ago. It even sounds somewhat intelligent.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
6 years ago?? It seems like it was just yesterday....

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
6 years ago?? It seems like it was just yesterday....
How do you know I wasn't calling the spammer a 4-year old?

(What ... it isn't 2010?)

West Houston Mike
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

first time i come back to visit the baseball board in quite some time and see one of my old posts brought back up. thought that was funny!

hope all my good friends on the baseball board are doing well! i've since gravitated to football as my main sport.