Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
As well they should be.

Tim.
Don't be ridiculous. They're either savvy politicos playing to the local crowd, or stupid bumpkins with no idea how the world works. In neither case should they be outraged that a dumb bill is getting killed.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I took Peter's comment to mean that they were outraged that the bill was even submitted for legislative action. They should be outraged that such a nonsensensical bill would even be put up for consideration. It's a pure waste of time and resources.

Tim.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Ah. I took his comment to mean that the sponsors of the bill were outraged that the committee will kill it.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

When I was a kid, the various ball fields, mostly at schools, were open to anyone who wanted to use them. In the summer, when a bunch of us would go to the high school baseball field for a pickup game or a practice, the township authorities thought it was great that kids were staying out of trouble. It was inconceivable that someone would try to kick us off.

That was in the 1950s and 1960s. There was only one lighted ballfield in the county, right in the center of Trenton, used by a semipro league. So "curfew" never entered into the picture.

Now, every field in town, including the same ones we used to play on whenever we wanted to, is fenced in, and signs abound forbidding anyone from stepping on the field and threatening legal action against anyone daring to do so.

Several leagues around here do have their own private fields, some of extraordinary quality. (You can't play a pickup game on those, either.)