Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by eastdavis
At what level of baseball or in what circumstance is a runner allowed to bowl over a catcher with the ball? without the ball?

My son is a 13u catcher. Last year in a Triple Crown tournament he was bowled over twice in the same game by the same player while he had the ball and was waiting with the ball to make the tag. Not close to a bang-bang play either time. Fortunately he held on to the ball both times. Unfortunately the runner was congratulated both times by his coach/dad.
The Triple Crown website I was able to find did not specify all of the rules under which Triple Crown tournaments are played, but the ones that were listed were typical youth rules (ie limits on innings pitched, who can wear metal spikes, etc.). I know of no rules that would allow a non-professional runner to bowl over the catcher in any case. In college, "if the collision by the runner was flagrant, the runner shall be declared out and also ejected." However, if the catcher did not have the ball, the runner would be declared safe on the obstruction, but then ejected for flagrant contact.

In this case (13U) I would eject the player and if the coach/dad makes an a** out of himself after the call I will get him too.
Triple Crown uses the FED rule book.