The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phillips.alex
remember in NFHS rules it is "slide or avoid." You don't have to slide if you can otherwise avoid contact (ie, running around, diving, jumping....)

alex
Where are you umpiring????
The runner is "ALWAYS" out if he dives over a player.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by phillips.alex
remember in NFHS rules it is "slide or avoid." You don't have to slide if you can otherwise avoid contact (ie, running around, diving, jumping....)

alex
Diving?
Diving is allowed only if the fielder is lying flat on the ground.

Mike
Not true, Mike (and Alex).

Diving is always illegal. You can jump over a player who is lying on the ground.

Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Who says the "dive" was over the player. You can dive if you're not diving over anyone. Diving to the side, for example.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Who says the "dive" was over the player. You can dive if you're not diving over anyone. Diving to the side, for example.
How many times have you seen any player dive to the side to avoid a fielder?
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Hmmm, Diving?

I have never seen a cannonball, unless you account for and look at the pre-impact postures of players in MLB collisions at home plate. Nor have I seen a reverse backflip during live action on a baseball diamond, but I will admit the StL WIZ of OZ could have done it.

I have witnessed four players come out from the dugout, run toward second base and dive headfirst in unison into second base at the end of a ballgame in celebration of an important victory. It really looked good and I ranked it a 10 on the headfirst diving scale.

I think Charlie Hustle was captured on film, on more than one occasion, diving head first into third base. Pete Rose fell during each dive, but some people will deny that ROSE ever flew through the AIR WE BREATH. They will admit that he appeared to fall less than normal because of Magnus effects on flatter trajectories. We can all agree that the baseball writers grounded his bid for the Hall of Fame. I still think the gambling world ranks Mr. Rose at the top of the diving scale, a perfect 10.

Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
WTF???

Quote:
Originally posted by SAump
I have never seen a cannonball, unless you account for and look at the pre-impact postures of players in MLB collisions at home plate. Nor have I seen a reverse backflip during live action on a baseball diamond, but I will admit the StL WIZ of OZ could have done it.

I have witnessed four players come out from the dugout, run toward second base and dive headfirst in unison into second base at the end of a ballgame in celebration of an important victory. It really looked good and I ranked it a 10 on the headfirst diving scale.

I think Charlie Hustle was captured on film, on more than one occasion, diving head first into third base. Pete Rose fell during each dive, but some people will deny that ROSE ever flew through the AIR WE BREATH. They will admit that he appeared to fall less than normal because of Magnus effects on flatter trajectories. We can all agree that the baseball writers grounded his bid for the Hall of Fame. I still think the gambling world ranks Mr. Rose at the top of the diving scale, a perfect 10.

Put down the bong and step back slowly, Dude.

Tim.

Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Now Diving UNDER the catcher!
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

"How many times have you seen any player dive to the side to avoid a fielder?"

------

Mmmm, everytime a runner on base "dives" back into the base during a pickoff attempt.

That would be one example.

Dives are sometimes legal.

Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 04:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"How many times have you seen any player dive to the side to avoid a fielder?"

------

Mmmm, everytime a runner on base "dives" back into the base during a pickoff attempt.

That would be one example.

Dives are sometimes legal.

That wasn't the original context.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

FLOP to the SIDE or Your OUT

People using the physical principals of flight may DIVE to get down quickly. I am merely pointing out that DIVING is always in the obvious direction - downward, below or underneath. One cannot physically dive upward, over or curve to the side of another. However, one can physically jump or FLOP upward, over or to the side of another.

http://www.muhs.acsu.k12.vt.us/physi...osburyflop.htm

What a DRAG – normal humans are not good pitchers, normal humans are not good base-stealing runners, and normal humans usually FLOP over and towards the sidelines after being called out at the plate for bowling over the catcher.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:58am
Veteran College Umpire

Re: Hmmm, Diving?

Quote:
They will admit that he appeared to fall less than normal because of Magnus effects on flatter trajectories.
Of course, the Magnus effects. How could I have forgotten?

JJ
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, it was a player diving toward home plate, but not over a fielder, that I was referring to. Tim's examples work too.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Re: Re: Hmmm, Diving?

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Quote:
They will admit that he appeared to fall less than normal because of Magnus effects on flatter trajectories.
Of course, the Magnus effects. How could I have forgotten?

JJ
If the runner does a flip while he's diving does Bernoulli's principle apply? It's obvious the runner is trying to RISE above being tagged out.

Tim.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Don't forget that Doppler Effect also....makes a mean scream going over F2....
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm, Diving?

Quote:
We had a kid (American Legion ball, I believe) do a cartwheel after a game winning homerun (as he came into home plate)... the umpire was so stunned he didn't know what to do.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Feb 14th, 2006 at 04:11 PM]