The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Is the Bartman rule differnt for NF and MLB?

If I remember correctly, a fan of the Cubs reached over and interfered with a Cub's fielder on a foul ball.

The batter was not called out for fan interference - correct? And he went on to get a base hit, then allowing FLA to defeat the Marlins and forcing Mr. bartman to relocate his whole life.

I ask because I am unclear about a ruling on the 2005 Part 2 test stating that the batter is out if a fan interferes with a fly ball in foul territory.

If I am wrong, and the batter WAS called out, I appologize in advance for teh memory not being there.

Thanks.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 04:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Is the Bartman rule differnt for NF and MLB?

If I remember correctly, a fan of the Cubs reached over and interfered with a Cub's fielder on a foul ball.

The batter was not called out for fan interference - correct? And he went on to get a base hit, then allowing FLA to defeat the Marlins and forcing Mr. bartman to relocate his whole life.
Bartman did not interfere with anyone. Alou who was the Left Fielder had to reach into dead ball territory to make the catch. It is not fan interference to stay in dead ball territory and try to catch the ball. The fans are not obligated to move when they are out of play. A fan cannot go into the field of play and interfere but that is not what happened on the play you describe.

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
I ask because I am unclear about a ruling on the 2005 Part 2 test stating that the batter is out if a fan interferes with a fly ball in foul territory.

If I am wrong, and the batter WAS called out, I appologize in advance for teh memory not being there.

Thanks.
Under NF you can have fan interference on a foul ball if you as the umpire feel that there was interference. A batter can be called out, but that is a judgment call.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

there was no fan interference

however, i still hate bartman
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

bartman rule.....

I believe the rule he violated was this and it is taken from the gospel of St. Sandberg Chapter 1 verse 1:

The path of the righteous fan is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the stupid. Blessed is the fan who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the folly of attempting to catcheth a foul ball that ones home team has an opportunity to catch...for he is truly his team's keeper, and the finder of lost outs...

And, I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempteth to catcheth a foul ball and destroy my outeth opportunity! And, you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!.....

or something like that........

Stan
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Talking

I like Mr Bartman. But,then,I do
not like the Cubs.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

"While there was no interference, the incident seemed to break the Cubs' concentration, as evidenced by what happened afterward:

Castillo drew a walk and the previous runner (Juan Pierre) advanced to third base. Ivan Rodriguez got a single to drive in the first run of the inning, making the score 3-1. Miguel Cabrera hit a ground ball to Alex Gonzalez, who uncharacteristically fumbled the ball. Had Gonzalez fielded the ball properly, the Cubs could have ended the half-inning with a double play. The Marlins scored another seven runs, taking an 8-3 lead, and eventually winning the game."

Nobody remembers the DP ball that Gonzalez booted that would have ended the inning 3-1 with cubs still leading. And this was game 6 not 7.

[Edited by DG on Jan 9th, 2006 at 08:32 PM]